Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Yeah I know. I was being a little complacent and in denial I guess. It just seemed unlikely under the circumstances, especially with those big boxes with flashing blue lights on poles all over the place. Guess they don't offer much detergent if the criminals are too stupid to know what they are. The HOA folks that run that program are going to get back to me if they captured any of it on video.

These two can be a hassle to travel with but both did their jobs well and deserve a lot of credit here. Angus and Lalka on the job...

Glad you are safe. Beautiful red long hair. Long haired, our favorite type of GSD. We used to call our GSD Kayla our early warning device. Now Hannah Bear, Pyrenees/St Bernard has taken her place.

Amazed that they came back twice, light and barking dog. Brazen or stupid. More likely stupid.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #30

I used to visit and do lots of biz around the Liberty Bowl area between 94-03. It was not a nice place then, have no idea now, with no plans to visit. I remember the locals (sub contractors) always said not to be in the area after dark. This can be said for many of our bigger cities....sad.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #31

We have driven down to Florida from Alberta twice now. The first time we did it we went through Memphis. We stayed at the state park on the edge of town. On the drive in I noticed every house, and I mean every house had bars, on their doors and windows. Nothing happened to us, but it is the one place in our travels that I didn’t feel safe. And the Elvis estate tour was a complete money grab in my opinion. We will not go back again.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDown View Post
Currently living in Memphis and the city is blossoming and we love it. We all must work everyday to help our fellow community members and nothing beats being aware of your surroundings. We have recently renovated three empty neighborhoods into brand new city centers; Crosstown, Highland, liberty bowl. With plans for more development. When people join together to change their attitudes about their neighbors wonderful things can happen before that book gets judged by its cover.

I see that scenario playing out all over the USA. It's called "gentrification".
Old 09-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #33

Years ago I was a drive away driver and delivered a UPS truck to Memphis. Got to the bus station after the delivery at 3 pm and the bus was suppose to leave at 5 pm. The driver never showed up. I walked around downtown and had an enjoyable time. In downtown as it grew dark, there were lots of scary looking people wandering around in groups of 2-3. Decided to stick close to the station as it got dark.

Finally, a retired driver showed up. And we left at 7 pm. He fell asleep at the wheel of the bus around 9 pm. Several screams brought him around before we ended up in a ditch.

While we were leaving Memphis, it was kind of obviously run down with bars on windows and doors, both homes and businesses but some side streets with those old antebellum homes looked kind of interesting.

Decided I would only visit in the daylight if I ever came back. So far haven't made it back.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Old 09-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Amazed that they came back twice, light and barking dog. Brazen or stupid. More likely stupid.
Most likely, they were high (& bone-dense stupid mean to begin with), looking for a quick score to pawn/fence for cash. The skinhead/neo's are a volatile lot with nothing to lose. Good they didn't come back a third time!

Whenever we're in the Memphis area, we always stay at Tom Sawyer RV Park - really nice, safe and right on the river. Tom Sawyer's RV Park

Old 09-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #35

Picked this up inTennessee.
Those dogs look like they could have taken care of business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	266CB89E-A449-4F67-9064-689D7A8CA988.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	261538  
Old 09-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
"it would have ended differently."
Yes it could have.
Low lifes rarely like being 'challenged' and will resort to violence when confronted.

Parked over night in a moderately affluent neighborhood in Memphis,........
...........there are expensive ($26000) surveillance cameras with flashing blue lights on them on all the entry streets to the neighborhood, and my relatives here have some fairly complex locks and an alarm system.

Sounds like this neighborhood has had some issues.............
Sounds like there ought to be some video recorded somewhere for 26 grand?
Old 09-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #37

I avoid Memphis when I can and NEVER stop there
Old 09-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I hate to say it but Memphis and the surrounding suburbs are nothing I want to deal with. My job takes me all over North American and every major city. I have been to Memphis many, many, times because Fedex Corporate is located there. I actually love what Memphis has to offer but I have been in too many situations that I don't get into in 98% of my travels.

My last trip to Memphis was not going well and I thought I may stay the weekend to be ready to get to work first thing Monday. I mentioned to my customer, 4 people in the meeting, that it wouldn't be a problem and I may fly my wife down for the weekend so we could site see and visit the town. Every one of them looked at me like I was crazy and told me they would not suggest it. They live in the Memphis suburbs.

Spent about four years there going to school, awsome town, downtown is great, never had a problem, just lots of fun. It’s like anywhere else, there are bad people in every city, just bad luck they found him that night.

Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t want that to be a long term home but it’s a blast to visit.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperone View Post
?.. RV’s included being searched especially if there was a reason for LE to be called, with weapons being seized. Getting them returned can take a lifetime in some states...
A vehicle can not be legally searched without verbal permission of the Owner or a search warrant.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #40

"A vehicle can not be legally searched without verbal permission of the Owner or a search warrant."

Or probable cause, or exigent circumstances, or . . .

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 09-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Simply refuse all searches. Every single one. Be polite, and politely refuse. If it will help later in court or appeal, your clear refusal to grant permission to search might make a real difference. It also might create a time consuming, drawn out and possibly expensive experience, but don't simply buy what the police might try to sell you about "it will make things easier". They really are not working in your best interests, they are making a case, and if the case means they make a case against you, so be it.

There really is no such thing as some kind of "if you've got nothing to hide, you've got no reason to say no" kind of protection. Politely refuse, ask to speak to their supervisor, cooperate with your statements only about what happened, but politely refuse permission to search your RV.

I worked as a sheriff's deputy for 12 years in Oregon. I didn't ever mind mind a polite refusal and a challenge to my legal authority and to do my do my job correctly and to protect the rights of the people I encountered. They were the reason I had the job in the first place, one and all of them.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
My thoughts exactly

Price a few new E-Bikes that are popular for the elderly and those with limited physical capacity. Some may be shocked at the results.

Common E-Bikes like a Dash or Pedego can go for $5,000 each while the more exotic can cost substantially more especially if you add extra range batteries and other options.

Better quality mountain and road bicycles can also command prices that are quite high with many costing more than I paid for my first 3 cars combined back when gasoline was 25 cents a gallon.
Closed Thread

Tags
vent