RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Prevented a break-in

Parked over night in a moderately affluent neighborhood in Memphis, visiting family, we stayed in the coach with the dogs, running the AC because its Memphis in September, but I didn't plug in, and by 1 am my batteries were below 10% so I shut off the AC and sat outside and read a book on my Ipad because it was too hot to sleep. It was a good thing I did.

At about 2:30 a pickup rolled up behind the coach, then passed it pulled over and backed up to it. Two guys started to get out and my dog (one of two well trained german shepherds) barked - once. But it was enough and they took off. Then they turned around at the next block, came back and parked nose to nose with my coach (wrong side of the road) and started to get out again. They still didn't know I was outside. I guess they expected the coach to be empty and us to be inside the house. So I lit them up with a rather bright (LE type) flashlight and they took off again. Two skinhead types, no shirts, lots of tats, dirtbags to the core. Human garbage. But I digress...

So I walked to the corner to get the street names right, called MPD (2:46) and was talking with dispatch when they came back a third time. This time they when they saw me, they started yelling belligerent gang bangy crap at me, I lit them up again, and they realized I was on the phone and also realized I was trying to get a license plate number so they took off in a very great hurry. Well, naturally I stayed outside on guard duty, and MPD came by about 3:45. I gave them all the details, a good description of the vehicle and occupants and remained outside on guard duty the rest of the night.

The point of this story is to trust local knowledge. I was told to bring my bikes in (they’re on a rack on the back of the coach), there are expensive ($26000) surveillance cameras with flashing blue lights on them on all the entry streets to the neighborhood, and my relatives here have some fairly complex locks and an alarm system.

But being somewhat cavalier and not one to worry, and being in what I considered a nice neighborhood, I decided it was unlikely that there would be trouble on this one specific night on this one specific street. I was wrong and glad I was awake and outside and not sleeping inside. If I were it could have ended very differently.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #2

I am a very non-violent type of person, but after that string of events, I would have to agree with your last thought about how "it would have ended differently."

Line from a movie comes to mind: "I've got a .45, and a shovel, and ain't nobody gonna miss you."

Perfectly justifiable.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #3

I am from Memphis and I go back there quite a bit. If you don't mind me asking, was it in the Germantown or Bartlett area? I bring my trailer up there quite a bit and I want to be aware. Thank you so much for posting
Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #4

"it would have ended differently."
Yes it could have.
Low lifes rarely like being 'challenged' and will resort to violence when confronted.

Parked over night in a moderately affluent neighborhood in Memphis,........
...........there are expensive ($26000) surveillance cameras with flashing blue lights on them on all the entry streets to the neighborhood, and my relatives here have some fairly complex locks and an alarm system.

Sounds like this neighborhood has had some issues.............
Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
I am from Memphis and I go back there quite a bit. If you don't mind me asking, was it in the Germantown or Bartlett area? I bring my trailer up there quite a bit and I want to be aware. Thank you so much for posting
South of Poplar, west of 240, but close enough. These guys obviously weren't from the immediate area. Roving at 2am looking for an easy....what do you call it? A job? Whatever. If I had my bearings a little better they might have caught them and they probably had warrants or items from other crimes, but they didn't actually get a chance to commit a crime this time.

Im glad they didn't come back a fourth time for a confrontation. I like to think I could have handled it, but things like that rarely go as planned.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
"it would have ended differently."
Yes it could have.
Low lifes rarely like being 'challenged' and will resort to violence when confronted.

Parked over night in a moderately affluent neighborhood in Memphis,........
...........there are expensive ($26000) surveillance cameras with flashing blue lights on them on all the entry streets to the neighborhood, and my relatives here have some fairly complex locks and an alarm system.

Sounds like this neighborhood has had some issues.............
My feeling was that it was hysteria/paranoia, but in hindsight, local knowledge should have been considered more seriously.

I discussed the various means of protecting myself and my wife (asleep inside the coach the whole time with the other german shepherd) with MPD, legalities and all that, and after a brief discussion, they were very agreeable about my precautions. Fortunately it didn't come to that.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #7

59 minutes for a police response.

What’s that saying about when seconds count...
Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I hate to say it but Memphis and the surrounding suburbs are nothing I want to deal with. My job takes me all over North American and every major city. I have been to Memphis many, many, times because Fedex Corporate is located there. I actually love what Memphis has to offer but I have been in too many situations that I don't get into in 98% of my travels.

My last trip to Memphis was not going well and I thought I may stay the weekend to be ready to get to work first thing Monday. I mentioned to my customer, 4 people in the meeting, that it wouldn't be a problem and I may fly my wife down for the weekend so we could site see and visit the town. Every one of them looked at me like I was crazy and told me they would not suggest it. They live in the Memphis suburbs.
Home State is Kentucky
Old 09-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

Well Im sure its a busy town and I wasn't reporting an actual crime or an emergency. Just obvious suspicious behavior. I was glad they came out and I was outside sitting in the shadows till morning anyway. MPD was professional and courteous and two cars came to discuss the situation. I didn't expect an immediate response and I imagine they put out the vehicle description and direction of travel immediately. But at that point they hadn't seen the truck. Also it was a very distinctive vehicle so they might have a contact with the folks on graveyard in their future. One can hope...
Old 09-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

Just because you don't see them come to you doesn't mean they aren't doing anything with the info you gave them. If you call to say they are leaving, then maybe the cops are driving around looking for the vehicle, then they get other higher priority calls in the meantime.

At my old agency, after an hour we likely wouldn't have had time to get back to you in person even at 4am because we were stretched so thin, but it doesn't mean we didn't do something useful with the info you gave our call taker.

My favorite night light is mounted onto the frame of my fantastic plastic wonder pew pew. My second favorite I call The Eye of GOD because once you look into it your life is never the same again.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #11

I use to travel for work to Memphis. Stayed in town once, at the airport once, after that I flew in stayed in Olive Branch MS. Just got back from taking my Canyon Star to Memphis to see Graceland. I stayed at the RV park across the street from Graceland. It was very safe but would not venture more than a block away.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
I use to travel for work to Memphis. Stayed in town once, at the airport once, after that I flew in stayed in Olive Branch MS.
For East Memphis, the Agri-Center has a large, safe, quiet, well managed RV park, lots of room, 30 and 50 amp pull throughs, usually no need for a reservation, and with the farmers market and other interesting stuff going on near by. What it lacks in charm (kind of like an old farm field which Im sure it is) it makes up for with convenience and reliability. This was a one night stop-over/visit. Otherwise Id stay at the Ag Center. As I will in the future from now on too. Dont need any more unnecessary headaches.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #13

Being in an affluent neighborhood means nothing. That's where the thugs go to commit their crimes. There is nothing to steal in the rundown areas, where they crawl under their rocks after a night of drugs, drinking and pillaging.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:24 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Being in an affluent neighborhood means nothing. That's where the thugs go to commit their crimes. There is nothing to steal in the rundown areas, where they crawl under their rocks after a night of drugs, drinking and pillaging.
Yeah I know. I was being a little complacent and in denial I guess. It just seemed unlikely under the circumstances, especially with those big boxes with flashing blue lights on poles all over the place. Guess they don't offer much detergent if the criminals are too stupid to know what they are. The HOA folks that run that program are going to get back to me if they captured any of it on video.

These two can be a hassle to travel with but both did their jobs well and deserve a lot of credit here. Angus and Lalka on the job...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	370A08F2-DBD6-4104-8B12-5595B697A516.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	260697  

Closed Thread

Tags
vent