Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Preventing Plumbing Water Damage

I read a thread not too long ago, where a guy with the same motorhome as mine had the water supply line to his water heater burst while he was out for the day. Like me, his water heater is behind the drawers of his bedroom wardrobe. The result was extensive water damage in the bedroom of his coach.

On the advice of the OP, I replaced the inlet and outlet hoses of my water heater with steel braided hoses, in hopes that they might be less susceptible to bursting. I left the hoses pressurized for several days before buttoning everything back up, just to make sure there were no leaks at the connections. Iím glad I did, as one of the connections started leaking slightly two days after the install.

That same night I laid in bed thinking...what if it started leaking again months from now? The connections are not readily accessible - I would never know until I saw water damage. I had seen water leak alarms at Home Depot, so I started looking for something that would work well for my application. I ended up buying the WatchDog alarm on Amazon. It has a detachable sensor with about 4' of wire, so that the alarm base can be mounted well up out of the way of any potential leaks.

I placed the sensor on the floor near the water heater and attached the alarm base to the face of the water heater inspection plate, inside the closet. The alarm is now out of sight, yet it is loud enough to alert me of any potential leaks.

I realize itís not 100% foolproof, but for $16, I think itís better than nothing.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You're right Craig! I think that's money well spent! I will definitely be looking into where I could use these! In the case of your friend, these wouldn't have helped since he was out for the day and not there to hear the alarm! Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
I placed the sensor on the floor near the water heater and attached the alarm base to the face of the water heater inspection plate, inside the closet. The alarm is now out of sight, yet it is loud enough to alert me of any potential leaks.
This will work if you're nearby, but what if you're not? You could end up with a wet RV and angry neighbors.

Why not just depressurize the system by turning off the water pump or the access to an outside water connection?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
This will work if you're nearby, but what if you're not? You could end up with a wet RV and angry neighbors. Why not just depressurize the system by turning off the water pump or the access to an outside water connection?
Do you depressurize when you are watching TV or outside enjoying the sunshine? I don't.

I agree, this will only work if you are in or near the RV. The alarm is powered by a 9V battery, so any disturbing alarm noise would be short lived. It's not as loud as my smoke detector. I also agree that is a good practice to shut off the water at the hookup spigot if you plan to be gone for an hour or more.

Craig

Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Water leaks

I'm thinking(dangerous action) how could I wire, (or wirelessly) the alarm to a solenoid water shut off at inlet on RV and pump power supply. Attached to RV one wouldn't forget it, when leaving, and if hose TO the RV leaks someone else would probably shut it off at supply. Help me find problems with idea. Peter.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Too late

Should have looked sooner. WW Grainger has several versions of this.
This one for home hot water heater. Detects leak and shuts water off. Still would need some mods. Peter

ItemWater Heater Leak Detection and Alarm Shutoff System
Pipe Size3/4"
Max. Pressure80 psi
Number of Sensors1
Voltage120VAC
Amps0.127
Connection TypeNPT
Audio AlarmYes
Shut OffYes
Sensor Cord Length8 ft.
Power Cord Length12 ft.
MaterialHigh Impact ABS, Brass Valve
Relay Output12 to 24 Volts, 0.25 AMPS
Temp. Range14 Degrees to 122 Degrees F
ApplicationWater Tanks, Water Heater Tanks

Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a clicky to the device you are talking about.

I considered a system like that as well. We had something similar in the laundry room of our last house, but I wasn’t sure it would work in an RV application. The downside for me was I knew it would require some plumbing modifications. Plumbing and I don’t play well together, so I went with something simple. Great idea if you have the know-how.

Craig

Tags
plumbing, vent, water