Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

Preventing Squatters

Although it isn't entirely common, I've heard stories of people going on vacation for a few weeks and returning home to find squatters living in their house. They then find themselves in a lengthy struggle to remove them, to then deal with property repairs.

How do you go about preventing this?
We normally get our neighbors to check our mail and we have a pet sitter that checks on our pet. Ive also told the family not to post vacation pics until we return. How else to prevent?
Oct Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

We use an alarm system (ADT) and several cameras mounted inside and out that we can view from anywhere via internet. We also get alerts when motion is detected if we choose to. And neighbors keep an eye out. Never had a worry in the world about the homestead when on the road.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

Just sell your stick & brick...go full time RV...ours is the Rushmore...
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #4

Neighbors would deal with 'squatters' long before they 'squatted'

It's GREAT to have neighbors that care about each other and their property!

Neighbors SHOULD be some of your closest friends........get to know them, engage them, invite them over for drinks/bbq

You live with them so get involved with them.
Neighborhoods should be like small towns where folks know each other BY NAME, know who their kids/families are, know who should and SHOULDN'T be there.
Reach out....you will benefit for the effort.

We bought our S&B BECAUSE of the neighbors/neighborhood
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Alarm system and local family.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
1) Alarm System,
2) response by local law enforcement,
3) prosecute to full extent of the law
4) they now have squatters rights in prison
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i am thinking.....where do you live?
squatters...hmmm

texas has an implied no trespass law, if your not invited, your trespassing and subject to many form of ejection from ones premises
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
um I have a squatter removal service.
Works great for evictions too!
Cash only!

The whole "squatters" rights... um has to be in a liberal bastion!
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i am thinking.....where do you live?
squatters...hmmm

texas has an implied no trespass law, if your not invited, your trespassing and subject to many form of ejection from ones premises
If they actually break in and you are present, then yes.
If you are gone and they put utilities in their name and have their license address changed to yours, it's another issue.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Neighbors would deal with 'squatters' long before they 'squatted'

It's GREAT to have neighbors that care about each other and their property!

Neighbors SHOULD be some of your closest friends........get to know them, engage them, invite them over for drinks/bbq

You live with them so get involved with them.
Neighborhoods should be like small towns where folks know each other BY NAME, know who their kids/families are, know who should and SHOULDN'T be there.
Reach out....you will benefit for the effort.

We bought our S&B BECAUSE of the neighbors/neighborhood
Could not agree more. We get together with our neighbors a couple of times a month. Bbqs, happy hours and dinners. We love it. Great times.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #11

So a couple things to keep in mind.

If the insurance company can prove that the home is vacant and not being occupied by whatever time frame this falls under in their books you may not be able to get a claim paid unless you have purchased additional insurance that covers vacancies. Your company may not have that option available, I ran into they problem myself. I have no idea how long that time frame is, I have dealt with it after the fact when my mom passed and was in the process of selling her house. I had fun times with the insurance and the mortgage company. Had to purchase additional insurance because I couldn't get it occupied. BTW they will drive by the house at any hour and check. I found out about that with another insurance company rodeo.

What insurance.com says about unoccupied as in "traveling". https://www.insurance.com/home-and-r...insurance.html

There are actually websites with information on how to "squat" in a property. I also seem to remember a homeowner in Charlotte unable to evict the squatter. Don't remember the details. In this day and age I wouldn't put it past someone to try and squat on your property. When I lived in UT a neighbor had a house squatted in (we lived in the hood) and they actually built a fire in the middle of the living room floor to keep warm.

You cant count on your neighbors to "have your back" these days people don't want to get involved even when they agree to. I personally am like a watch dog if you ask me to watch your property I will get involved. That said none of my neighbors houses are where I can even tell if anyone is in the house. We are too far apart. I did live across from a lovely Italian couple in OH that chased everyone off our property even the power company there to repair the service. We didn't ever ask them to do this.

For those that are going to chime in about how they have been leaving their house vacant for years and nothing bad and the insurance didn't blah blah.
Unless you are going to cover the OP costs if their house becomes squatted in or even damaged and broken into while they are gone, it is only an accounting of your experience and particular luck and shouldn't be considered as a good advice.

Being one that is a magnet for strange things to happen (both good and bad) if something can happen it will and I try to prepare accordingly.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #12

That's good information. Thank you.

We intend to set the alarm, and the police will respond, but curious as to what I do if the squatters already have the address changed on their license before breaking in.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct Prime View Post
If you are gone and they put utilities in their name and have their license address changed to yours, it's another issue.
Not if YOUR name is on the deed.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct Prime View Post
they would have a hard time doing that here.

oh they dont have to break in to be trespassing, simply one foot on your property, we have a very strong castle law.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent