Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #29
I try not to worry myself with things beyond my control. We will continue enjoying our retirement as permitted by our finances.
Remember back in the 1950's/1960's when rumors of a 100 mpg carburetor were circulating? Turns out it does exist. I lost the link but an internet search will find the plans.The basis of the design is to use an exhaust-heated chamber to vaporize fuel prior to the carburetor.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #30
Tiffin Owners Club
In reality everything is going up except the paycheck of the end user. Sooner or later as prices increase to the point where Mr and Mrs middle class can no longer afford make the purchase sales will decrease. The price will further rise in order to make maximum margin on each widget until the rich among us no longer can afford or want the widget. Then the Chinese widgets will gain in popularity as they are the only ones left in the market. Wayne M has it nailed ... greed. People not wanting a sustainable income but working on becoming uber rich uber quickly. Such is the state of our economics.

Ken, DW & Oscar the Beagle
Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
US Army Retired
kenvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by kenvs View Post
Wayne M has it nailed ... greed.
ExxonMobil's full year 2009 net income was 6.2% of revenue. So, is that greedy??

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #32
Gas prices always go up every year. The oil companies know that people travel more between memorial day and labor day. Just another reason for them to gouge us.
When will it end.
75racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by 75racer View Post
The oil companies know that people travel more between memorial day and labor day. Just another reason for them to gouge us.
Let me ask a question. If the oil companies set prices, why did they ever come down from the $4.50+/gallon level seen several years ago? Why did crude oil drop from $150/bbl to $32/bbl and now is back to around $80/bbl? Why did natural gas drop from $12+/MMBTU to around $4/MMBTU today? Do you think that the oil companies benefit from such price volatility?

If one really wants to understand where energy commodity prices are set, take a look at the energy trading floor on NYMEX (the New York Merchantile Exchange) HERE.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #34
Monaco Owners Club
Well, we shot our cash two years ago an a 6 week trip to Oregon. Stayed home last summer. This summer we'll be staying close to home. Too many uncertainities in the wind, the price of gasoline being one of them.
FMCA# 266040 HRRVC# 84109
2000 32' HR Vacationer w/Banks
'98 Subaru Outback 5 spd toad
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #35
Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Staying Close to Home?

What a decision to make. Take our investment in mobility and park it hoping for a cheaper price next year or do what we wanted to do when we purchased the RV while we can. It is very unusual for prices to come down over longer time periods. Most likely next year will be more expensive than this year. This will happen every year in the long run. About the best we can do is enjoy our investment in mobility, doing what we like to do, seeing and enjoying this wonderful country of ours.

Remember Alfred E. Newman? What me worry? Let's enjoy while we can.
Ray & Joyce pilots
Baxter & Wilson the furry copilots
2008 Tuscany 4072 Pleasurecraft
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #36
Rusty is completely correct on the profit percentage for the oil industry. Even our own government admitted that SPECULATORS caused the oil price run-up 2 years ago.
The other thing the oil industry has going against it is the individual size of the companies. This happened when they were merging, creating giants. A giant industry has giant income!
Drug companies have a higher profit margin than oil does, yet noone complaines about their total sales figures.
Now that spring is comming expect the speculators to enter the oil market again!
One other thing: You may have noticed that our government has said NOTHING about the recent gas price increases.
Lee,Marge Living Our Dream-Fulltiming!
Beaufort SC, Winter Harmony PA Summer
Semper Fi In God We Trust
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shame on Exxon Mobil for earning over 6%. How un American. Capitalism at work. We just need more government control of our oil industry. Just ask Caesar Chavez.

It appears to me that unless you (me) grew up in the "awl bidness", you believe making a fair (6-8%) profit is just not right. I bought four average size onions at Krogers this weeks, average price of $1.15 each. I wonder what the net profit on those were? But see, even if were seventy five cents, there would be no complaints of price gouging or greed because the dollar amount is so little.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #38
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I'm all for the oil companies making a profit, what needs fixing is the commodities market so that if you're bidding on oil, you're there to actually buy that big lot of oil, not just to make a quick buck on buying and selling futures.
'92 Dodge W250 "Dually" Power Wagon
KIT 1106 Kamper Slide-in Truck Camper
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #39
Tiffin Owners Club
The oil companies can make a good profit whether oil is $20 or $200 a barrel. Ergo, my problem isn't the price of gas/diesel, it's the price of oil. And is oil a commodity or a necessity? I realize there's no distinction on Wall Street, but maybe there could be, at least a little bit? I mean-- how many people rely on an onion to get along in day to day life? How many people DON'T rely on oil for day to day life? An onion is a commodity. Oil is a necessity. Right or wrong, stupid or not, I don't think necessities should be traded on Wall Street...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #40
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Too many uncertainities in the wind, the price of gasoline being one of them. __________________
I did the same thing three years ago when gas prices were heading to $5+. I stayed with in a one tank trip for all our camping trips that summer. We had planned to go to Myrtle Beach that year but stayed close to home just because of the price of fuel. In most camping seasons we will do 3 one week trips with in about 200 miles and one 2 week + trip of 500+ to 1000 miles.

This year I said "screw it" I was going to do my usual long two week trip to either Vermont or Myrtle Beach. I asked my brother which one you think I should do. He said "do both". Boy that brother of mine is smart. I knew he went to collage for that. Both it is...I'm not going to let the oil companies bully me around......He said damn..."I own a small business and I can't take more than 3-4 days off to camp"....you are gone half the summer....O well join the Teamsters union.....We won't go there.......
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #41
We just returned from a trip to Texas from California. Over 3000 miles at 7.8mpg. We bought the motor home to use it and figure the fuel cost, whatever it is, is part of the vacation costs. If you take a cruise and it costs $100/day you don't seperate the fuel cost from the rest (although there is a fuel surcharge sometimes.) Our 13 day trip would be $1300 on a cruise and we spent about $1200 on fuel. Another $200 went to RV parks. Toss in some food and we were a few bucks over a cruise, unless you go on a better cruise line than we use.

The price of fuel will be what it is and for most of us it is elastic, we can drive less if we want. For all the working stiffs it is price in-elastic... they need to buy gas to get to work. We've all been there and it looks like things will stay the same; change is constant.
Bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #42
I agree change is constant. But, there is some attempt to price gouge. As an example, there is a Shell station on the corner near us. The price of unleaded went from $2.59/ gal to $2.79/ gal. While everyone else around was at $2.59/gal. The price stayed current but the station's gas business was drasticly reduced.. When everyone else went to $269/gal, the Shell station lowered it's price back to $2.69. I think this shows they were trying to get extra $$$ for the gas and had no relation to what they paid for it.

Like many of us, we are on fixed incomes from pensions and SSA. With everything going up and no COLA, we are forced to chose between gas for RV trips and necesitites like food and medicine. Hope Congress relalizes there is an increase in cost of living and does something about it. JMHO

2014 Wildwood 27RKSS 2004 Nissan Titan Pilot Steve
Co-Pilot Marlene Furry Four Leg children: Fancy Lab/Chow, LB Little Bit, Maltese, Rocky, Border Terrier
StStg1 is offline   Reply With Quote