Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #15

I was in the military for thirty years. We always said plans were only a basis for departure and all plans got changed at the point of departure. Same with our camping. Got to be flexible.

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #16

Larry, I'm with you. When we leave for a trip, we usually have a general direction in mind and a few places that we want to see.

We mostly tend to use national forest campgrounds. They rarely fill up, so we don't bother with reservations. A typical dinner conversation will be "should we stay here another day or two, or should we move on?"

If we want to go someplace like Yellowstone, where the more popular campgrounds do fill, we will make a reservation 3 or 4 days in advance. However, we have also driven into some of the less popular campgrounds in Yellowstone and found a site without a reservation.

When I was working, I needed schedules. Now, retirement = freedom. We have discovered some really great places by wondering "where does this road go?"

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #17

I am a planner & list maker to the core! Now maybe once the youngest can fend for himself (pack all his own stuff or stay with friends) that will ease up a little bit & hubby and I can take a more spontaneous trip... but probably not. Who am I kidding. You give me a general direction and I want to map it out to find all the cool stuff around there and along the way so that we have choices on what adventures to get into.... thats just me. Take it or leave it
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
map it out to find all the cool stuff around there and along the way so that we have choices on what adventures to get into....
A lot of the best places we have been have been found with a few clues found along the way and from local knowledge from the residents.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #19

See I would check out roadsigns for cool places to visit & ask locals... but I would have already done some research too. Just because I have a plan or ideas, doesn't mean I have to stick to them. I just like to feel informed and then if we find other stuff to do, well then my research is just a back up plan. lol
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #20

If you make reservations, then it really complicates things. We have really eaten at some very cool places that probably didn't even have websites. In general, I just go where my wife tells me. I was the boss for the first several months of our marriage, but it didn't work out.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #21

We're boondockers so no reservations required. And I think the only time we have reservations to eat somewhere is anniversary or V-day... other than that, we're hole in the wall type of people.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love to reconnoiter areas that we will be visiting. Details and record keeping are NOT my thing, but I like to see what an unfamiliar area has to offer before I drive in. Then, we can boondock or set up temporarily while we take the toad and investigate what's available.

Lists of available campgrounds with locations, phone numbers, fuel stops for the best prices, azimuth and inclination for my satellite, etc, are all things that I record and take with us. I only have a "dumb" phone, so it's hard to do these things on the fly. WiFi hot spots are sometimes hard to find.

I never make reservations ahead of time at a CG, unless it's for later in the afternoon when we're pretty sure when we'll arrive. I don't see how people can do that way ahead of time without it costing them a lot when they have to cancel, or are late showing up. If you have mechanical problems, a lot of the CG's won't give you a break and you'll wind up paying anyway. Besides, Forest Svc campgrounds are some of my favorite places to stay so this summer when we go to southern CO, we'll check out what's available before relegating ourselves to a commercial parking lot with hookups.. :-)

Does anybody have any stories to share about campground fees they have forfeited due to not cancelling reservations in time for a refund?
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #23

Yeah big oil guy, we have scheduled 2weekends at starved rock close to our house...both times weather was horrid. I think next time well just head out there and see what happens!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I learned the six P's in the Army.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes...... Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P___ Poor Performance. OOPS, that's 7 P's, but still the same Army.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plan ahead? I don't even buy green bananas
Old 06-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
Yes...... Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P___ Poor Performance. OOPS, that's 7 P's, but still the same Army.
That makes more sense than my guess of, Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #28

Basically we are impulse planners. Just go for a weekend or a week mostly destinations. But when we travel we do some planning. Like where we want to go and see, campgrounds and attractions.