Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think one method is "better" than any other. Like so many things in RVing, it comes down to personal comfort levels. Those that need the feeling of security that comes with knowing schedules, stops, reservations, confirmations, etc., do their planning and I'm sure all goes well.

We sold our stick house in NorCal in 9/09. We packed up the coach and our three dogs and knew we wanted to be in Florida for the Space Shuttle launch on 4/5/10. I don't believe we had reservations for a single night along the way. Had a great time working our way along the sun belt and staying wherever we liked for as long as we liked.

We pulled in to The Great Outdoors in Florida around the first of April and the launch went off on schedule to the minute! Scratch another one off the bucket list!

If we're going to be moving around a holiday weekend (which we really try to avoid) we usually will try to have reservations... but even when we haven't had them I don't remember a single time we couldn't find a spot without too much trouble.

Fun stuff no matter how you do it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
I don't think one method is "better" than any other. Like so many things in RVing, it comes down to personal comfort levels. Those that need the feeling of security that comes with knowing schedules, stops, reservations, confirmations, etc., do their planning and I'm sure all goes well.

Rick
Perfectly stated!

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I found that if I tried to plan ahead, we never got to where we planned to go. Therefore, I stopped planning.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #32

Before I got the motorhome I traveled around the eastern us photographing wildlife areas, zoos, aquariums and museums. This required detailed planning with a rough timetable. That won't change now that I have a motorhome. What will change is making reservations at crappy motels. I still need to plan ahead because I'm basically on a mission when I travel. In other words, I don't travel just to to go someplace. I have a purpose which is to go here and there and where ever to take photos and record videos. This means I need addresses, phone numbers, hours of operation, maps, fees, etc. I like to boondock where possible so RV parks are not on my agenda however I will stay in a park if necessary.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
We take the occasional spontaneous weekend trip, however, if I am spending my precious vacation time to go somewhere then I want a plan. We have tried without a plan and we end spending half our day wondering what to do today.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #34

Quote:
We have tried without a plan and we end spending half our day wondering what to do today.
For US the problem is always narrowing it down which is fun. We also take an "off" day about once a week.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
By the time my wife has it planned out, I forgot why I wanted to go in the first place. LOL
'Ex' did the same thing; by time she was done ... I damned near couldn't care less. Tossed it, save for the things we really should see ... she was dead on with that.

A 'day here, a day there, sort of thing. What wasn't calculated in was the actually driving time it would take to get from 'here to there.' The 'one day' went to three or four, the 2 weeks went to a month.

Called one of my neighbors who had folks come in and mow her lawns, etc., and 'hired them' to take care of mine.