Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #1

Private party sale

So we are a month away from taking ownership of a 2017 Chaparral 5th wheel that we are buying from a couple who are getting off the RV merry-go-round. I have only purchased from dealers and am unfamiliar with the process. Do I need them to sign a bill of sale? What about the title whether or not they still owe on it. Any other advice from members who have been there and have the t-shirts to prove it?
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #2

I would want a bill of sale. It should state the VIN#, price, and any conditions of the sale (warranty, as is etc.).

If they have a lien, I would want to go with them to the lender and watch them pay off the lien. I would also ask for a statement in writing from the lender that the loan is paid in full and they release their interest. Most lenders are able to arrange this. If not, I'd look for a different RV.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #3

Yes, clean title is a must. Have them photocopy / email it to you to ensure they are in possession. yes, they sign it over to you on sale.

Ensure you get any paperwork / history if available.

Did you inspect the trailer? Or have someone knowledgeable do this for you prior to sale?
Old 02-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two year old trailer shouldn't have many issues. I would hire a inspector to go over the unit stem to stern. No worries if they find nothing. If owner balks, you walk.

Bill of sale, any warranty or "as-is" statement included. Make sure your tow vehicle is appropriate to the weight limits. Test tow would be good too.

Good luck!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

Last MH purchas was private and PO had a loan. I gave them a deposit to hold it until I could Inspect it and have them demo all components. Gave them a significant payment and drove the unit home w their plates. They sent me the clean title and I made final payment & returned plates.
If close and you both can go to bank that's the best way.
Title signed over and bill of sale should be ok for you to license it.
Some states require more paperwork if selling price is below book and they want to collect more on sales tax. NY is one of those and had to jump through hoops.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:00 AM   #6

A couple of items when purchasing from a private party.
If there is a loan make sure the bank has released the loan and you can get a clear title.
When paying for the unit, best to use a wire transfer from your bank to the seller's bank after all other paper work is in order especially if you are financing the unit.

I would get a temporary tag if possible. If not after you take ownership, get a tag and registration from your state. I would not use the sellers tag to drive it home. Too much of a liability for both you and the seller.

This is all assuming you have checked the unit out and you are aware of it's condition.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
The things you mention are Very important. Especially the "is there money owed on it". It would be a terrible thing to have some bank re-po person drive up and take that RV back with them. With the bill of sale, should be a title if the seller owns it outright.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty simple actually: if they can produce a certificate of ownership or "pink slip" from the state dmv in their name, you're good to go. Watch out if it's registered in Montana!

Make sure they sign it.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale