RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #1

Private Purchase - Advice needed - Warranty Discrepancy

We're working with a private seller to purchase a Keystone 2019 TT. Talking with the seller this was bought in June from a dealer, but due to life circumstances needs to be sold. Everything seems new on the unit, stickers all present, mattress still in the plastic bag. Equipment checks out. The only thing untested is the AC because we don't have access to 30amps.

Reading the manual from Keystone and it states that the warranty is transferable to the new owner within a year. So I called Keystone to see how that's done, and they inform me that this trailer was sold as is without warranty. They can't elaborate. I spoke with the seller and his response is that he was unaware of this fact. He checked the bill of sale and sure enough the box is checked for sold as is.

Everything else we've looked at was older and out of the warranty period, so I've not investigated this before. Of course if we'd bought one of those older units I would never have checked this. But I'm puzzled about why this situation exists. It's like an itch that I want to scratch.

Should I drop this and not worry about it? Keystone was able to give me the dealer where it was sold. Should I take it up with them and see what they have to say?

Any advice would really be appreciated

Thanks

LLeaff

P.S We're new to the TT life, this is our first purchase.

Lleaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would definitely call or visit the dealer that sold it, and hope they will be honest about it! Hope it works out for you if they are giving you a good deal!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The original buyer got scammed if he thought he was buying new with warranty rather than used and "as-is", but that's his problem. You can't do anything about it, because you "have no standing" in legal parlance. You aren't the injured party. All you can do is adjust downward the price you are willing to pay for the used rig because it has zero factory warranty.

The most likely reason for the "as-is" status is that the seller was not a factory-authorized (franchised) dealer for the brand. He probably bought it when the original authorized dealer went out of business or maybe just was short of money and wholesaled the unit to another dealer to get cash. If the sale wasn't through a franchised dealer for the brand, the dealer cannot register the sale with the factory or provide warranty service for it. It's also possible that the person you are buying from was not the original buyer either, i.e. somebody else bought it and had to sell before using. It would be an unusual coincidence for the "life happens" scenario to hit twice in quick succession, but it's conceivable.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

Thanks a lot for the insights... I guess I'll dig a little deeper and see what I uncover
Old 08-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
I suspect you will have a hard row to hoe if you expect to get the factory to issue a warranty. If you look at warranties offered on the internet on used/pre-owned, you will be better to just put the cost into an account and spend that with a reputable RV repair shop.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #6

Quite a bit of stuff going on here.
Maybe consider buying a extended warranty from Cornerstone extended warranty, I had them for five years they never turned me down. Call Cornerstone and ask if they can insure the RV in question. But check out the RV in detail. Especially the chassis and suspension. Did the seller buy wholesale? Any sign of water damage? How far is the sellers price from another dealer price on the same equipped RV
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
With the months long waiting list to get things repaired and the propensity to deny claims based on the direction the wind is blowing that day I would say you aren't really missing out on much. Use the information to get a bigger discount and don't sweat it. All your components such as the refrigerator, water heater, and such should still be covered by their individual manufacturers.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

Not necessarily a scam on anybody but could be.

I bought my motorhome new from a very well know Newmar authorized dealer in Tennessee. All the paperwork included "new as is with no warranty" in the description. However, that only applied to warranty provided by the dealer. In most cases, dealers don't provide warranty but the manufacturer does.

Warranty provided by the factory/manufacturer is separate from warranty supplied by the dealer in many states. I have had no problems getting warranty repairs from the dealer or direct from the manufacturer/factory.

Having said that, if Keystone has determined there is no factory warranty then your only warranty would be from the selling dealer. If the dealer is providing no warranty then you are getting no warranty from either source. Consider that in the offer price.

As spdracr39 says, most RV warranties, regardless of who provides it, aren't worth much anyway. All the big stuff (a/c, refer, generator etc) has it's own individual manufacturers warranty anyway.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would hire a rv inspector to look at it in detail.

It was probably never used by anyone, and equipment is covered by individual warranties for the fridge, AC, etc.

I would want to know where it's been, how it was stored, was it ever in a flood, and how many have owned it.

If the exterior and interior look new, you might have a gem of a deal there. Which model is this?
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Note that buying an "extended warranty" repair insurance is not a substitute for a factory warranty. They are nowhere near equivalent. You can buy one if you want, but the coverage is far more limited than any factory warranty. Buying a service plan, aka extended warranty, is a separate discussion that you can research here if interested.

The point was made that the individual appliances still have their own warranties from the applaince manufacturer, but making claims on them can be challenging at times.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

If you decide to buy the unit I would borrow or rent a generator to test the A/C. You might be able to use a 30 to 15 amp adapter and plug into a 15 amp outlet. Usually there is one on the outside of the house. If A/C is 13,500 BTU it should work long enough, on low fan and nothing else in the trailer on, to test. A 15,000 BTU unit may or may not run for a while. Don't run it to long as it can really put a strain on the outlet.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I suspect you will have a hard row to hoe if you expect to get the factory to issue a warranty. If you look at warranties offered on the internet on used/pre-owned, you will be better to just put the cost into an account and spend that with a reputable RV repair shop.
It's not so much wanting to get the warranty (althought that would be great). It's the fact that it was sold without one. That is the part that concerns me
Old 08-27-2019, 03:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

I would want to know where it's been, how it was stored, was it ever in a flood, and how many have owned it.

Which model is this?
I've traced it back to a dealer in Ohio, but that as far as I can follow it. Don't know about flooding, but there's no sign of it in any of the plywood I've been able to see. The seller doesn't seem to know anything...

This model in a Keystone Outback 210
Old 08-27-2019, 03:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
If you decide to buy the unit I would borrow or rent a generator to test the A/C. You might be able to use a 30 to 15 amp adapter and plug into a 15 amp outlet. Usually there is one on the outside of the house. If A/C is 13,500 BTU it should work long enough, on low fan and nothing else in the trailer on, to test. A 15,000 BTU unit may or may not run for a while. Don't run it to long as it can really put a strain on the outlet.
We're going back this weekend to do a full walk through. 30 amps and water will be available for a thorough test.

Tags
advice, purchase, scr, warranty