Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Private Purchase - Concerns about Title

Just a thought, IMHO you should check with the state that issued the title to be assured that the title is truly clean and lean free. This way your know that the title is hand is authentic, computers can do marvelous and DUBIOUS things today. I think you are wise to check any possible chance that this is bogus, does it qualify for e-bays buyer protection? Hope you get it settled to your satisfaction and everything works out for you. Also, what kind of agreement/arrangement do you have for checking this MH out to see that all systems are AOK.
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #16

I'm not sure I understand the desire to have the title transferred to your name before you release the funds to him. If you were buying an auto or a MH from a dealer, you would be giving them the money before you got the title.

Am I missing something?

GL Arnold
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We bought our toad a couple of years ago from a Chevy dealer in Maryland. Because we wanted it titled in something other than a neighboring state, we didn't bother having them do the paperwork; we told them we would just take the old title and do it ourselves. When we were given the title the day after we paid for the vehicle, I noticed that it, also, was out-of-state and the dealership had not bothered to put the vehicle in its name. I guess that's fairly normal and I didn't worry about it because the dealer was a well-established one and I knew there wouldn't be any issues.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #18

The broker was not operating as a dealer. Just an individual and the title did not have his name on it. I was paying an individual that was not party to the contract. Now I have suggested he transfer to the dealership and I will take title from them.
deasnealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
When I bought me Coach in Iron Mountain,MI. Idrove from Penna. to there in my car (800 miles) The gentleman and I went to the Michgan DMV office and did the paper work, I got a 30 day temp. tag and he turned the title he was holding in after we both signed it with all the paper work to them. They asked what the sale price was and that price is what was on the paper work for plate taxs when I got back to Penna. I forget the cost of the paper work there at the DMV office but is wasn't much.The deal went down as a old fashion verbal over the phone that I would be the at a certain time on a specific day, and I was true to my word. So I guess what Iam getting at here when you go to get a temp. tag and do the paper work they will keep the signed title and mail it in with your paper work. And then some time later you will recieve you new on in your name. Are you planning to drive or fly to go get the Coach and bring it home?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Where did this 3rd party broker come in? did the listing on e-bay mention this in thier listing? If I am reading this right you did not buy this unit from the 3rd party broker on ebay and have no dealings with him, your sale dealings are just with the person that listed it on ebay and made the deal with. If he has a 3rd party (money man) he deals with, that is his problem. Money does not leave my hand till the title is done and I have what ever is being bought in my possession. I hope I understand your posting right here......
One more thing, you only have to pay tax once, if he needs to get this unit in his name it is up to him for the costs.
You are wrong about the paying of taxes once. I live in Georgia and bought my motorhome in Fla. I paid taxes in Fla. and the State of Georgia sent me a tax bill. I showed up at the tax office with my bill of sale and showed where I had paid the taxes in Fla. They said Ga. and Fla does not have a receptical
tax agreement. I had to pay the taxes again.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
You are wrong about the paying of taxes once. I live in Georgia and bought my motorhome in Fla. I paid taxes in Fla. and the State of Georgia sent me a tax bill. I showed up at the tax office with my bill of sale and showed where I had paid the taxes in Fla. They said Ga. and Fla does not have a receptical
tax agreement. I had to pay the taxes again.
I might be wrong for your state but not mine,Are we talking about the same kind of tax? Sales tax? 6% in Penna.Why did you pay the taxs in flordia? could you of not bought a temp. tag and drove it home and then done you paper work and paided your taxs? I bought my coach in Michgan and paid my taxs in Penna. when I got my plate.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Imho If you are having this kind of issues now then it my possible get worse.
For your sake I sure hope not and I hope everything works out for you all.Good Luck and my you have many safe and happy travels.:What part of Ga. are you in?I was born and raised in Ga. and still work there.I lived there up until 19 years ago.I live in Al.now.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #23

Again...check your local DMV and get it on writing.

They should be able to print out a document with fees due and procedure.

You may be able to do some while there to save time later.

Does not matter what the DMV where it is located wants unless there is no tag.

You may be able to get a temp tag in home state (ca charges $10.00 for one, fill out when needed) if it works to move from location then local DMV not needed.

Just have them check the title before money changes hands.

Be sure to get good contract type receipts and all that stuff, if you have original copy of title that you confirmed is good you should be fine as you drive it away...possesion is 90% paperwork rest
Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #24

Geez, for the love of Pete, don't send ANYONE ANY MONEY!!!!

The guy is most likely not putting the coach in his name to avoid paying taxes on it. His local DMV, or any for that matter, are not going to be very cooperative because of that. I'm sure he knows that and will avoid that situation.

You could ask him for a snapshot of the coaches serial number, and take that to your local friendly police department and ask them to run it to make sure it's not stolen. That knowledge in hand, then tell your seller when you can be there with certified/bank check in hand, or he can meet you at his bank with the coach where you can do a wire transfer once you've proven to yourself the coach is what he says it is! Do not, under any circumstances let one cent out of your sight until you've physically touched that coach!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
doc

Appalachian Campers
Like some have said, it might be a good idea to keep your money until you actually have possession of the coach or can be assured you will drive it home. When you're talking the amount of money these things cost, what is the price of a plane ticket in the scheme of things? I doubt seriously you will have a problem registering it in Georgia if you have the title in your hand or a bill of sale. They will not care who you bought it from as long as it was a legitimate sale. They WILL look to see if you have paid the taxes or will be looking to collect sales tax. The last coach we bought was cash and I paid six hundred dollars (maximum allowed in S Carolina). When I got back to Ga, they subtracted the 600 already paid from the 7% they charge in my county. Looks like the LLC business is really bogging down what should be a simple process.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #26

I appreciate the tips. I think we now have it worked out. The 3rd party has agreed to run the deal through the licensed dealership and all the paperwork will tie out. I have had the coach professionally inspected so I am happy with that. Plan to wire upon having tested systems myself and driven it. (and holding the keys in hand) When wire hits dealer account he will sign over as agent for the dealer. After praying about it, I feel much better this am - (well not about the sales tax!)

Take care
Old 02-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #27

I hope its all worked out now. I live in North Georgia about 1.5 hours north of Atl.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #28

Fortunately, I have reworked the deal and he agreed to do it through a licensed dealer with all paperwork and payments tied together like I wanted. I will be hit with Ga Sales tax but probably would anyway as the title has the previous owner as a business rather than an individual. It will be all above board and I can sleep better. I have also contacted the previous owner and he has confirmed he traded it. I am planning to discuss and provide paperwork (draft) to my county today. No money will go until I have checked out the coach myself (I paid to have it inspected by a RV service company) and I have the keys in my hand and original title.

Thanks for the input. I will post a pic of the rig after the deal is done!

Tags
purchase