Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I might be wrong for your state but not mine,Are we talking about the same kind of tax? Sales tax? 6% in Penna.Why did you pay the taxs in flordia? could you of not bought a temp. tag and drove it home and then done you paper work and paided your taxs? I bought my coach in Michgan and paid my taxs in Penna. when I got my plate.
You made a blanket statement that people only had to pay taxes one time. I don't pretend to know about other states and their laws.
I am just stating about Ga. laws and I am sure many other states have found out how to extort (yes I said extort) money from their citizens. I did not get a tag from Fla. Just the cardboard tag applied for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
You made a blanket statement that people only had to pay taxes one time. I don't pretend to know about other states and their laws.
I am just stating about Ga. laws and I am sure many other states have found out how to extort (yes I said extort) money from their citizens. I did not get a tag from Fla. Just the cardboard tag applied for.
Are you telling me that if you bought a new Coach in Flordia($400,000.00) you would have to pay tax on it there(lets say 6% = $24,000.00) and when you get back home to Georgia you have to pay that tax again? $48,000.00 in taxs?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did make one wrong statement. It was when I went to get my tag that they demanded the money. They would not let me have a tag until the taxes were paid. If I had bought in a reciprical state they would have credited me with the taxes paid there. Of course you don't have to be a genius to figure out this double taxation.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Are you telling me that if you bought a new Coach in Flordia($400,000.00) you would have to pay tax on it there(lets say 6% = $24,000.00) and when you get back home to Georgia you have to pay that tax again? $48,000.00 in taxs?
I am telling you that in 2007 I paid full taxes in Fla. Then returned to Ga. and paid full sales taxes again. I am also telling you I called everyone I could think of to get out of it, and it did no good. I could not get a tag until I paid the taxes again. That is the part that makes you so mad. They have you over a barrel and you can't do anything about it.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Of course you don't have to be a genius to figure out this double taxation.
So you are telling me that now you did pay double taxs?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #34

You had mentioned in your original post about having a title company do the escrow. They deal in real property only and some private property like cabins on leased land and would not transfer personal property. But if you hadn't worked it out already you could have had an attorney (small town jack of all trades attorney) handle the transaction and act as the escrow agent. To those of us who live in rural Americana that would have been another answer.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #35

What is being done here is done every day in private sales. He is doing nothing more than NOT taking ownership in his state, thereby avoiding paying any taxes and registration fees. I will also assume he did not collect any taxes on the vehicle he traded for either, letting the buyer take care of them in his own state where he registers the vehicle. I have no concern what he is doing thats his business. Your concern is will Georgia accept this title and I would assume you check that avenue out throughly.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So you are telling me that now you did pay double taxs?
I sure am! i paid the purchase price plus sales tax in Fla. Then had to pay full sales tax to Ga. in order to get my tag.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Delaware only gives credit for out of state sales tax if it was paid within 90 days of registering in Delaware. I paid twice also.

Quote:
I sure am! i paid the purchase price plus sales tax in Fla. Then had to pay full sales tax to Ga. in order to get my tag.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
wow! I thought it was bad enough paying taxs on something this expensive once let alone twice.
Route 66, what happened that you went over the 90 days and got hit for the double taxs?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #39

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The way I read your post it looks like the rig is actually his but he has failed to register in his name in his state. Not sure what the laws are unless he's selling as a dealer. Where I'm at you have to register in your name before selling to another individual as a private party otherwise you are selling as a dealer. Also six vehicle sales a year equals dealer status here. DMV watches closely in our county.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #40

It sounds as if the only issue is that the seller has not transferred the title into his own name. That's routine, and would only be an extra cost. I think there are two considerations.

This seems to be a normal sale. Normal procedures. AND

You're anxiety with it makes it not worth completing. I would advise not going through with it simply because you're too nervous about it.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #41
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I was a fulltimer with a SD domicile and bought my Yukon XL while a SD resident. 3 years later I had to give up fulltiming and "move" back to DE. Paid tax to SD and DE.

Quote:
wow! I thought it was bad enough paying taxs on something this expensive once let alone twice.
Route 66, what happened that you went over the 90 days and got hit for the double taxs?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

That title is essentially a blank check once it is signed like that, unless of course the DMV finds something wrong with the title of the signature(s) on it. You need to work a process that assures that title is valid and can be transferred to you, and also that the motorhome listed in the title can be delivered into your hands.

The bill of sale you will get should stipulate what you are buying from the seller and it is TWO things:
(1)The motorhome, as described in the ebay ad and anything you and the seller agreed upon in addition to that and
(2) A valid and transferable title to said vehicle.

It is that second provision that protects you and gives legal recourse if there is a problem with the title.

That said, you still need to work out the mechanics of actually getting the title transferred and exchanging the money. Meeting the seller at the DMC office to do the paperwork and hand over the money is the most straight-forward way, but gets complicated if you want to title it in a different state. You could pay his expenses to come to your state, or you could get the title in his state (and later transfer it to yours. Depending on the two states, there may be sales tax to pay, once, or maybe twice, or perhaps partially in one and more in another. Check with the state tax authorities and DMVs (who usually collect the tax for the state).

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase