Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #15

ScottandDanna, keep in mine everyone who uses any kind of RV was a NEWB at one time. Never be hesitant to ask, we are all here to learn and help one another.No need for me to make a suggestion though, all the previous replies said it all.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 03:44 AM   #16

You are correct...probably the fridge was running or something to cause the spark.

I experimented with the AC on a 20A outlet (which I found out the hard way was shared with the washing machine inside the house!) that if I start the AC with the fan on low, it wouldn't trip the breaker. If I started it on HI it would after about 5 minutes.

Next time I try the generator, I will put the fan on low and see if it will fire it up. And make sure the fridge is on LP, etc.

That generator "should" fire up the AC, but I wouldn't expect it to with other items running.

The generator was purchased as an "emergency" item, and most of the camping we will be doing will be with hookups. But if we ever had to head out quickly during a hurricane or something, I wanted the generator now so I wouldn't be shopping for one at the last minute. Those things fly off the shelves when a storm enters the gulf...

Old 06-26-2015, 05:26 AM   #17

All good advise from the responders, but I don't like the Spark and Pop ? Check your power source with your meter and invest in a EMS unit.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #18

Mine does the same thing. I don't notice it with the 30 amp hook up in our pole building, but it does it every time I plug into a 110 outlet at home.
The breaker idea is the ticket.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #19

Look closely at the plug-in on your generator -- make sure it is 120 volts! RV's only use 120 volts, never 240!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #20

Yes, it is 120 or 220, but the plug I bought only has three of the 4 poles being used. If all 4 were used it would pull 220.

At least that is how it was explained to me at Camping World.

I wired one up with all four wires to all four poles to start up my 220 air compressor a while back, and 2 of the poles had to be hot, so when the Camping World guy explained it this way, it made sense.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #21

Ahh, Camping World

Now you need to look at the output rating of the generator.

It may be 4000 watts @ 220 and 2000 watts @ 120.

That may not start your AC.

They make soft start kits that may help.

Some generators have a 30 amp, 3 blade, twistlock receptical that supplies full watts.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I can feel your pain! We are newbies and DH called our electrician and had a 50 AMP receptacle installed on the house. DH asked me to take the cord and plug into the new receptacle. SPARKS! NOISE! I jumped backwards. He had not turned the power off in the MH! That's one mistake we'll never make again. Also, create (if you do not have one) a checklist--in the order to be done--for Arrival Setup and a checklist for Departure. Refine it, Laminate it and USE it. I can assure you "Verify MH Power is OFF!" is on both our lists!!! Oh, put "RELAX & HAVE FUN" on that list, too!
Artcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #23

Oh No . . . Don't take advice from someone at Camping World!! That's like asking a used car lot salesman a technical question about a car.

AND, there are no dumb questions!!

Your generator may have a switch feature that allows the generator to "power down" until it gets a load and then it cycles up. The in-rush current to start the A/C unit will happen far faster than the power up on the generator. If you want to start the A/C, you want the generator to be supplying full power to allow current in-rush to start the A/C. Should be a rocker switch on your generator to control this feature.

And, I'm not sure you can get 220v with three wires, unless you have the neutral and ground in common. Sounds like a good way to become a crispy critter.

Go have a good time. Like somebody else said, we were all Newbies at one time.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #24

I'd like to add a safety suggestion, please do not plug your cord in while bare footed.

I once learned this is the hard way to find the box you are using has a bad ground.

Happy trails
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I'd like to add a safety suggestion, please do not plug your cord in while bare footed.

I once learned this is the hard way to find the box you are using has a bad ground.

Happy trails
I bet THAT was a SHOCKING experience!!!
Old 06-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I bet THAT was a SHOCKING experience!!!
Ruined my day. I was afraid to touch it again when it was time to leave.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I experimented with the AC on a 20A outlet (which I found out the hard way was shared with the washing machine inside the house!) that if I start the AC with the fan on low, it wouldn't trip the breaker. If I started it on HI it would after about 5 minutes.

That generator "should" fire up the AC, but I wouldn't expect it to with other items running.
You probably already know this, but when running juice to the RV, make sure you have a Heavy Duty power cord. A 12 ga is minimum if attempting to run an AC on a short run. Don't ask me how I know this, but if you want some melted plastic and wire, I know how to accomplish that..!

Also, a 14 ga or 16 ga cord will create massive resistance (generating the heat), thereby minimizing the available current being delivered.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
You probably already know this, but when running juice to the RV, make sure you have a Heavy Duty power cord. A 12 ga is minimum if attempting to run an AC on a short run. Don't ask me how I know this, but if you want some melted plastic and wire, I know how to accomplish that..!

Also, a 14 ga or 16 ga cord will create massive resistance (generating the heat), thereby minimizing the available current being delivered.
I am using the shore power cable that came with the trailer. I am kinda timid about trying to run anything further than the 20 or 25 feet that this cable is.