Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #43

My wife is a 2nd grade school teacher. even at the 2nd grade level I have heard her say they are not allowed to teach the kids any thing other than what is approved by the government. history is out the window. if we can not learn from our mistakes, history will repeat itself. No child left behind really made teaching a short fall in the schools. Kids just aren't introduced to real learning. it is speed learning and nothing more. they don't even teach a kid how to tell time with a face dial clock, if it's not digital, kids don't know how to tell time, most have trouble making change at McDonald's if it weren't for the register telling them how much to give back to the customer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
so I wonder how the northern neighbors of Washington State feel about
being a STATE vice a country

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that means. Please explain.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that means. Please explain.
One of the students in the video thought that Canada was one of the 52 states.
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
I can use this video as evidence that the war on education is going great! Just think how stupid the population will be once schools are privatized and only those who can afford $20K+/yr/kid will be educated. !
I'm must be misunderstanding- do you see this video as an argument FOR government school education??

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
At the risk or getting political....

Motorhomees have no business on sand.

The youth of today are no stupider than the youth of the 60's and 70's.

It is scary to me that most of those in charge today are my age and never inhaled.

i paid $12k in property taxes last year (in illinois, 3/4 of this goes striaght to your local school district)

I paid another $12k to a private christian school because I don't trust the public schools to educate my children.

And that expensive private school is teaching my youngest son that Charlews Darwin, one of the most amazing scientists of all time, is a crazy Jesus hating athiest. (Where is the bang head smiley on the. Android app)

They also (really) had a quiz for credit last semester asking for 10 examples of why the current president of the United States resembles a monkey!

We just can't win, I just wanna retire and get on down the road.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
At the risk or getting political....

Motorhomees have no business on sand.

The youth of today are no stupider than the youth of the 60's and 70's.

It is scary to me that most of those in charge today are my age and never inhaled.

i paid $12k in property taxes last year (in illinois, 3/4 of this goes striaght to your local school district)

I paid another $12k to a private christian school because I don't trust the public schools to educate my children.

And that expensive private school is teaching my youngest son that Charlews Darwin, one of the most amazing scientists of all time, is a crazy Jesus hating athiest. (Where is the bang head smiley on the. Android app)

They also (really) had a quiz for credit last semester asking for 10 examples of why the current president of the United States resembles a monkey!

We just can't win, I just wanna retire and get on down the road.
Just goes to show...Twelve grand don't buy what it used too! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
What do kids know? What we are willing to teach them.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #50
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonLover View Post
Used to be a college professor. I saved money like mad so I could retire early. The start of each Fall term was extremely exasperating and depressing -- there were always, without fail, hundreds of newly- minted high school graduates who had to go straight into remedial courses.
Wasn't a professor but what we called a "re-tread" (one that came back a number of years later to finish getting a 4-year degree). It seemed that 1/3 of the Freshman class had to have remedial English/writing classes).
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Robert A. Heinlein had some good discussions about voting and society in his old piece, "Starship Troopers", the book, not to be confused with the poor quality movies that used that name.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
so I wonder how the northern neighbors of Washington State feel about being a STATE vice a country

Is this what you meant, "being a STATE "versus" a country"?? OK, got it.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #53

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
Can't fix it eather
Actually you can: get back to teaching rather than babysitting in the schools.
I remember reading some time ago that a high school diploma of the 60's is equiv to a 4 year college degree now, and those answers seem to prove it.
We have a Phys Ed teacher and his wife is a Principal. He went back and got his Masters because it would pay him more. He also admitted that he studied for the tests and then forgot what he studied.
And yes both my parents were teachers at one time, my mother for 33 years.
Due to a death in the family we're raising two of the grandkids, the youngest (12) failed a test, but because he did so poorly they let him take it again! I don't remember getting "mulligans" in school. If you failed a test or a grade well, that was the way it was.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #54

"Actually you can: get back to teaching rather than babysitting in the schools."

You are absolutely correct.
I started grade school in 1954, and we had to learn, it wasn't an option. We did it again and again, until we got it right, math, spelling, reading, all of it. You stood at the blackboard and did the math problems, if you made a mistake, the kids snickered, just like you did when they made a mistake. But we learned how to do it, and if we really struggled, the teacher would help you. And you could learn because the classroom was quiet, the teacher was in control, if you misbehaved, you went to the principal's office, AND then got in trouble again when you got home. We were afraid of the teachers and our parents because they MADE us behave and WOULD punish us. I can remember how I felt when I got in trouble and I was going to have to tell my Dad what I did, and his disappointment was worse than any spanking.
And yes, we got spanked and our little minds were not distorted forever because we got a few whacks on the rear end. We learned that sometimes you don't win, we lost and lived with it. And I think that grade school taught us what we needed to be successful Jr High and High School.
More than anything else, I feel sorry for the kids today, they are missing out on so much, and sadly, they don't even know it.

Sorry, rant over.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Involvement of parent(s)/guardian(s) in the child’s education (monitoring home work & test scores and having a place for the child to study) and contact with the instructor (teacher/student ratio) are the only two, consistent predictors of student success.

The other factor that is never addressed is motivation. Educators make lesson plans ASSUMING that student are motivated to learn the material. The two circumstances mentioned above impact motivation as well as information transfer.

Learning is a verb. I teach you, I don’t learn you. You have to deal with and learn the material.

One of the main reasons that “older learners” do so well is that they have learned the value of learning.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
"Actually you can: get back to teaching rather than babysitting in the schools."

You are absolutely correct.
I started grade school in 1954, and we had to learn, it wasn't an option. We did it again and again, until we got it right, math, spelling, reading, all of it. You stood at the blackboard and did the math problems, if you made a mistake, the kids snickered, just like you did when they made a mistake. But we learned how to do it, and if we really struggled, the teacher would help you. And you could learn because the classroom was quiet, the teacher was in control, if you misbehaved, you went to the principal's office, AND then got in trouble again when you got home. We were afraid of the teachers and our parents because they MADE us behave and WOULD punish us. I can remember how I felt when I got in trouble and I was going to have to tell my Dad what I did, and his disappointment was worse than any spanking.
And yes, we got spanked and our little minds were not distorted forever because we got a few whacks on the rear end. We learned that sometimes you don't win, we lost and lived with it. And I think that grade school taught us what we needed to be successful Jr High and High School.
More than anything else, I feel sorry for the kids today, they are missing out on so much, and sadly, they don't even know it.

Sorry, rant over.

I couldn't agree more! The sad part is they don't learn any respect because that is not taught any more. All this stuff about childrens rights is fine but it should be earned. No respect for parents goes on to teachers and from there goes on to no respect for society and the laws.