Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Problem starting generator!

I have been having a problem starting our Onan Quiet Diesel 7500 generator lately, and when I could get it started it would run for a while and then quit!

Saturday I checked the oil and it was about 1 quart low! I added Rotella T 15W40 to get it up to the full mark. It fired right up and ran for an hour before I shut it down! Today I tried it again with the same result!

I should have checked the oil first because I have a portable generator that works the same way, if the oil is low it will not start or will shut down!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
was it a quart low again after such a short run time?
if so you have more serious problems arising than not starting. how many hours on the unit?
is the exhaust pipe oily or wet feeling?
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

was it down a quart of oil like the first time?
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It was a quart low from the last service a year ago. It's possible they did not get the level up to where it should have been. From now on I will check it from time to time between servicing!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

The way I read Joe's post was that he ran the generator a second time after adding oil and all was fine. Correct me if I'm wrong Joe.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Generator Problem

I had the same thing. We bought a new 2014 Jayco with an Onan 4000. Our first cross country trip, it had the same symptoms. I went to an Onan Service dept and he immediately told me that this is very common with these generators using gasoline with Ethanol. Ethanol is a big problem for all small engines that leave gas sitting for any amount of time. Even though my rig was brand new, I had not run the generator hardly at all before our trip. He immediately screwed in the needle valve and backed it out, and it ran great from then on. He told be the ethanol will form a hard schelac and clog the carbureators. I needed to add the ethanol additive if leaving for more than 4-5 weeks and should never have the problem again. Hope this helps.
FltEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #7

Well we have to support the high price of corn for the corporate farms even if it screws up our gennies
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
Well we have to support the high price of corn for the corporate farms even if it screws up our gennies
And right now it costs more to produce ethanol than gasoline. Now they're talking about putting ethanol in diesel fuel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I don't think that is Joe's problem, his Genset is diesel. Joe, does the light on the start button for the Genset blink a code? Mine is propane powered and 2 blinks shows low oil pressure, 3 blinks is service required and 4 blinks is over cranking, meaning that the starter is getting too hot. It sounds like you might have a fuel filter that is not flowing properly, try having the fuel filter changed and see if that helps your starting problem.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree from what I read he doesn't have a problem he was explaining what he found for info purposes. He said after he added the oil it ran "about an hour before I shut it down". Maybe I am reading it wrong. Our 7000 gas Onan did the same thing when it got a little low on oil the first trip. It had an oil leak around a plug. The leak was fixed and we have not had a problem since but I am very aggressive about keeping the oil topped off.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The way I read it

Would not run properly
Added oil
Ran properly
Shut down
now wont' start

Possible issues include just about everything that can go wrong including major engine failure (Very expensive), batteries too low to start it (Common on my gasser) easily fixed, press Emergency start/Aux Start/Boost button to bring chassis batteries in the mix or start main engine to set isolator and provide chassis battery support.

To (And this one is not cheap either) OUT OF FUEL.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #12

Sounds to me OP added a quart of oil and fixed his problem.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Guess we will have to wait for OP to see what's going on.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Glass half full/half empty???

As an dedicated optimist, I read the post that Joe added oil, solved the problem. Happy days...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator