Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Replacing the Pin

TQ60 - We just had our Kwikee steps stick in the steps-out position. The Coachnet tech told me about the pin, and I was able to remove it, bungee the steps together and get back home. When we got home, I could hear the step motor run so I tried to put the pin back in. I couldn't access it with the steps in, and there wasn't enough slack to put it in with the steps open, so I had the DW open the door and I pulled the spade connector midway. I got the arm and the bracket lined up enough to get the pin through one side of the bracket and through the arm, but could not get the arm lined up with the hole in the other bracket. Is there a trick to getting it through the far end of the bracket? BTW, it was hard to remove the pin - took tapping and rotating with pliers to get it out.

2005 Phaeton 40 QDH
2013 Honda CR-V
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #16
Okay...one step at a time.

The pin will be hard ro remove is in a bind or some crud in with it.

Lift and wiggle steps to remove stress from connection and the pin should move easier.

Once out clean the pin and the holes.

Make sure pin slides easy into parts while out.

Some light oil or grease helps but not much as messy and attracts dirt.

Next look closely at the arms for 1/4 inch holes.

The older ones had holes drilled in 2 places so you could lock them in up or down positions with the pin that you removed from the actuator.

If no holes then easy to drill them.

First place step in full down and ollk for a place where a hole can go through bottom of step and arm.

Mark with masking tape then pencil.

Now push step closed and see if either hole in step or arm will line up for second hole.

You may be able to have one hole in arm or step with 2 holes in opposite part.

Once marked pull full down and clamp then drill hole and test with pin.

Next push full closed and drill second hole and insert pin to test.

Now repair gearbox if needed and restore everything to normal.

Locate a 1/4 eye bolt and a piece of good cord.

Tie eye bolt to steps with cord and place screw to hang it on just inside door.

When at camp turn off steps and insert bolt.

If needed bolt also csn be used to secure in up position while traveling to avoid dropping steps on intermittent door switch.

Just remember the steps stuck in when arriving.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
New Clevis Worked

TQ60 - Thanks for the ideas. I used a round file to clean out a little rust in the "tunnels" but the clevis still didn't want to go through smoothly. I replaced the clevis and it worked just fine. The old clevis was buggered up from me grabbing it with pliers and twisting it out. The steps open a bit too far, so the joint is under a bit of strain when the stair are out. I hit all the joints I could find with a little penetrating grease, and it works better now than it did when the coach was delivered to us. This penetrating grease is like oil when first sprayed on, then turns to grease after it penetrates.

I probably won't drill holes for failure pins unless this becomes a recurring problem, but it is a great idea.
2005 Phaeton 40 QDH
2013 Honda CR-V
Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
New Step Motor???

I continue to have intermittent problems with the steps being stuck, either extended or retracted. After doing a lot of research here and on other forums I ordered a Dorman 742-206. When I went under the coach to replace the motor I noticed that the motors aren't nearly identical. The original has screws along side two of the mounting bolts, but the Dorman does not. In addition the Dorman seems longer and has a hardwired harness (I can splice, so no big deal).

I'm tempted to just buy the Kwikee replacement, but I have read that many people have used this Dorman as a replacement and they didn't report any problems.

If you have done this fix, do the pictures below look familiar? If so, did everything just fit into place without modifying anything?

Thanks as always.

p.s. - I don't know the model number of the step, but the Kwikee replacement motor kit is 1101428 (motor and bolts). The original owner installed a full repair kit (909770000) in 2010, so I'm expecting that these things last about 5 years before they need significant attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorMotor1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	81477   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorMotor2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	81478  

2005 Phaeton 40 QDH
2013 Honda CR-V
Old 12-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
I also had trouble with the pin. What I did was grind a little of the edge off the pin so it had a taper on one end and was then able to put it in with a little help from a hammer.
2007 Allegro 34wa .WH w20 8.1 6speed. Bow tie powered 79 CJ7 or a 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad.
jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #20
Tiffin Owners Club
4-Pin Connector

After replacing the motor I continued to have intermittent problems. While it wasn't working I pulled apart the 4-pin connector and tested for proper voltages. Everything checked out fine, so I put the 4-pin connector back together and it started working - WITH ME UNDER THE COACH! Fortunately I was out of harm's way, and I now know where the problem lies if it happens again. I'll re-seat the connector and maybe use some contact cleaner and tape it to keep it from backing off from vibration.
2005 Phaeton 40 QDH
2013 Honda CR-V
Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had problems with ours also but I'm sure totally different form yours.
Ours keeps getting full of dust, Dirt, junk from the Hwy's. We just got the steps working again after a good cleaning. (yesterday)
I am going to add a Mudd Flap in front of the steps to help prevent it from happening again.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #22
You can take a sharp pin and gently bend inward the female connector.

All that is needed is just insert the needle between the connector and housing where the split line is to fold the ends inward just a bit.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #23
There are many lubrication points on retractable steps. I never lubed mine until I started having problems. I use Tri-flow bicycle chain lube, and squirt it into every place that has a swivel pin.
2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good idea mud flap in front of steps, here is the picture of one, many more links in
QT's # 3 Dutch Star Don's section.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote