Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

Problems with Large slideout awning

We have a Carefree of Colorado SOKIIIXL awning on our 2008 Beaver Contessa. The one we are having problems with is on our large slideout behind the driver. When going down the road and winds are 30+ the awning begins unfurling and flapping in the wind. I have researched this forum and found people that have same problem but it is with the patio awning. Has anybody else had this problem but with the slideout awning? Carefree is of no help. Basically saying they are not aware of any problem like this. I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. We have completely replaced the awning and cover, braces everything because first time it happened it ripped our awning. We still have same problem with new unit. I don't feel it is the spring tension. Can anyone help me. We have had an authorized dealer install this new awning and checked it and he can't figure out why its happening.

Thanks,
Karen
karennmgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I would say it is the spring tension, but if dealer has installed total new one that should be right. I suspect something about the wind flow along the side of the coach allows wind to catch the fabric between roller & coach... perhaps you could fashion a small shield to block air from entering that gap? Mine have aluminum shields that cover the fabric when stowed. There also is an end cap so that gap is not exposed.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

I did install that window stripping that is sticky on one side of the foam to closeup the gap under the awning casement. That didn't work either.

Karen
Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Can you post a photo of the leading edge of the offending airfoil? Might be able to give you a design idea.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

John, sorry I'm not sure what you are asking me?

Karen
Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

Don't know if it would help, but if this is a slide topper or slide awing, the A&E/Dometic is installed with a lock device which prevents it from unrolling or flapping when it's in the stowed position. Might be worth looking into although would require replacing again. Just something to look into
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Is the awning lock in place and working properly? All of my slide outs have passive locks.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

I talked to Carefree they said this awning does NOT have a locking mechanism. STUPID if you ask me.......

Karen
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by karennmgi
John, sorry I'm not sure what you are asking me?

Karen
A photo of the top front corner of the slide might help us come up with a fairing to keep the wind from getting under the awning.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #10

Ok. I will work on getting a photo.

Thank You

Karen

Tags
awning, slideout