Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Procedure for purchasing Used Motorhome out of state?

HI

I'll be buying a Used motorhome in the next few months. I know exactly which one I want to get. There are not any within driving distance of me (Indiana) at the moment but I have seen quite a few in Florida and Arizona.

I am trying to figure out the best way to go about purchasing one out of state without wasting too much money flying around looking at them all.

I feel like maybe I can do some initial negotiating of the price over the phone when I find a unit I think could be the one. Then hire an RV tech in the area to go out and inspect it and send me a full report. If everything looks good or reasonable to me then fly down there to finalize the deal.

The other way I guess would be to fly down and pretend I'm local and try to work out a deal in person then have a tech come out while I am there. The only reason I don't like this is if we can't get to a good price or the tech finds some major issue then I am out more money and will have to start all over.

How did you do it?
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
hre's what i did lat year - treated it much like buying a sticks and bricks house as far as inspections.
  • found the candidate coach via the internet
  • exchanged many pictures and conversation with the seller
  • negotiated a price, contingent upon inspections (local RV and chassis, then my final)
  • provided a refundable deposit and executed a purchase agreement
  • arranged and had the RV and chassis inspections done (buyer pays)
  • seller fixed some items identified in the inspections
  • renegotiated price based upon inspections, items the seller did not want to fix
  • flew there for my final inspection
  • closed the deal, exchanged final payment, etc.
  • took possession of the coach

A bit of work to get it done, but provided the needed protection.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
HI

I'll be buying a Used motorhome in the next few months. I know exactly which one I want to get. There are not any within driving distance of me (Indiana) at the moment but I have seen quite a few in Florida and Arizona.

I am trying to figure out the best way to go about purchasing one out of state without wasting too much money flying around looking at them all.

I feel like maybe I can do some initial negotiating of the price over the phone when I find a unit I think could be the one. Then hire an RV tech in the area to go out and inspect it and send me a full report. If everything looks good or reasonable to me then fly down there to finalize the deal.

The other way I guess would be to fly down and pretend I'm local and try to work out a deal in person then have a tech come out while I am there. The only reason I don't like this is if we can't get to a good price or the tech finds some major issue then I am out more money and will have to start all over.

How did you do it?
I haven't bought one yet but this would be my suggestions:

1. Get as many pictures of the coach as you can. Ask for specific pics of areas you really want to look at.
2. If you can swing it, get them to send a video or 2 of the coach during a walk around and showing operation of slides, under carriage doors opening and closing, etc...
3. If you believe it's the coach for you, call around local and get someone to look at it for you and get more pics or videos if needed of possible trouble areas. If there are some small issues you can live with, let the Tech know and he can note them during the inspection.
4. Negotiate-If you feel like you're ready to buy, start talking price.
5. If you can a agree on price, go see it and don't sign anything until you get the same tech to show you in person what he or she found. That way there are no surprises for anyone. A little money up front may save you alot of money and headache later.
6. Get your financing ahead of time and be ready to buy when the time comes.

Lastly, enjoy your new coach with your family and have fun.

One thing I always recommend when buying any big ticket item is even if something falls through, shake hands (or say thank you over a phone) and thank them for their time. You never know, they may call you back with a better offer because you took the time to thank them and were polite about it. What ever you decide to do, good luck with your purchase.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My two cents

For some reason every time I go to buy a new toy it is far away!

I live in NC, have bought a boat in NY, a boat in Fla, a travel Trailer in SC and a motorhome in Florida.

My advice, make some decisions and choices ahead of time, rely very little on pictures, for several reasons, digital cameras and computers make anything look great, date taken can never be assured . Be prepared to travel, you do not want to make a long distance decision. I made 2 florida trips for boat and 2 1/2 for MH, and that was after having someone local check it out.

As mentioned above, get inspection. My MH ended up needing several new gas lines due to "critter" damage, insisted on roof inspection and reseal (Sellers cost) also negotiated oil changes on engine and genny. If you can accomplish inspection and purchase in one trip great. That only worked out on travel trailer for me, told them straight up, I am coming to see and if as presented will have bank check with me and plan to take home.

Tried that with MH, was 1/2 way there for P/U and purchase when owner called and told me had another gas leak and would take 5 days to get hose. Went down anyway and did "final" inspection, then owner agreed to meet me 1/2 way for pick up and final purchase. Did my transaction in MH in Wal-Mart parking lot.

Each transaction will go differently, no two the same, but be prepared to travel for a great deal. Looked at motorhomes from NY to Fla before I bought, if memory serves I believe we looked at about 15 all total.

Happy Hunting

and by the way, Fla issued a temp tag for MH that was good for 10 days, as I recall.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Considering the amount of money you are planning to spend airfare is a small overall cost to ensure the coach is everything as described and exactly what you want. I drove a 1000 miles round trip three times and drove the coach home on the third. The advise given is spot on but nothing beats seeing it in person.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #6

Don't forget to make sure the rigs that you look at have a clean title, i.e. their is no outstanding loan that will need to be paid off first. Seller will need your $$$ to accomplish this and there will be a time lag before the clean title clears and he has your money.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome