Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
On a somewhat related issue, I was at a Northern Tool store and the young gum-popper took my credit card and headed to the copy machine. I asked what she was doing and she said making a copy. I told her that under no condition was she going to do that. She got everything in a wad and called her supervisor who put a stop to that. Stores are not allowed to make a copy of your CC. Credit card company rules apply on this. If someone tries this on you, report them to the CC company.
Remember the good old days when, if you used a credit card they ran it through ain imprinter and took an imprint?

Well, a co-worker of mine (In my police dispatch days) rented a car, they made an imprint of her card.. When she drove off the clerk popped the imprint into the xerox copier and gave it to his little brother.. Who then started making telephone/internet purchases.

When the UPS woman delivered the package.. Well, let's just say that brown uniform she was wearing.. Was not her normal color.. She changed into her regualr uniform (BLUE) before tossing his sorry behind in the can for fraud.

Alas, not all ID theft stores end up like that one..

But that's why they don't do that any more.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Showing and copying are two different animals.

I'm no lawyer, but I do know we had signs up at all our copy machines advising that it was illegal to photo copy certain documents. Drivers license and SS cards were on that list. Have no idea if it was a state or federal thing.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #17

It is not illegal to copy them. In fact the Feds REQUIRE I keep copies of DL's of my drivers. What someone does with them is where the problem comes in.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I too have a great deal of global business travel experience, racking up over 400K air miles before retireing and I guess my mileage varies from yours as I've always been asked to show proof of identity when checking into a hotel, and internationally a passport is required.

What Documents Do You Need at Hotel Check-In | Hotel SuperTips

Rick
Yes, when checking in. Now just how many made a copy to keep for their records? If even one did then suggest you consider staying elsewhere.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
It was my first visit to this campground (which I'll not name) for Memorial Day weekend.
Why not name them , whats wrong with that ??
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
Yes, when checking in. Now just how many made a copy to keep for their records? If even one did then suggest you consider staying elsewhere.
No argument there. I indicated that I don't recall ever being asked if they could copy it but they needed to verify who I was. While traveling, I get asked for my DL many times when I'm only using my credit card to verify identity but like Jay said, presenting and copying are two different animals.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I emailed the campground asking the reasoning for copying a driver's license. I received a reply stating it was normal policy for their protection & that the copies are shredded after the guest's stay.

I replied mentioning there was a discussion going on about their practice on a popular RV-ing social networking site where the opinions
on copying a license is that it is not necessary because it leaves the guest open for identity theft. The guest has no way of knowing how securely kept the copies are, who has access to those copies or have proof they are shredded upon leaving. If the CG is requiring verification of identity for check-in purposes, the guest could be asked to produce a photo ID for viewing only, as the license plate numbers for both the tow & towed vehicles of the guest were written down as well as them having the address of that guest, given at either the time of reservation or at check-in. I went on to say their establishment has a right to conduct its business in any way it seems fit; however, with identity theft on the rise, requiring copying of such a personal piece of a guest’s information is not well received, especially when it is not disclosed up front, but sprung on the guest when they check in. This could lead to campers deciding to stay at other area facilities rather than theirs.

The CG then replied that they completely understand the concern about identity theft & therefore, will no longer be copying driver's licenses but only asking to see them for proof of identity at check-in.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
It was my first visit to this campground (which I'll not name) for Memorial Day weekend. As part of the check-in process, they asked for my driver's license in order to make a copy of it. When I asked why, the young clerk simply answered that it was "their policy". When I expressed my concerns about identity theft the clerk said that they shread them. If it had not been the for the fact that I was meeting some friends who were also camping there, I would have demanded that my deposit be refunded and went home as this requirement was never disclosed to me upfront.

Up until now, the only informaton campgrounds ever asked me for (and not always) was the year/make/model/license# of my vehicle. As far as I'm concerned, that's all public information being that it's parked just outside the campground's office for anyone to see. Interestingly, this campground did not ask for any of that information- only my driver's license.

Has anyone else ever has this request (more like a demand) made when checking in? If so, what was your reaction?
Just about every hotel you stay at asks for a credit card and/or driver's license. In some states, it is actually the law that they verify and record the names of the guests (although admittedly not always followed). Frankly, why shouldn't they be able to verify you are who you say you are? Ever rent a car? They always review and record DL information. In Europe, the hotels will make copies of your passport (and sometimes keep possession while you are staying there).

Face it, anyone who has bad intentions can engage in some form of identity theft or fraud. Pay your lunch with a credit card? A dishonest employee could get the card number, expiration date and the 3 digit security code off the card. Write a check at Walmart? They will want to see your driver's licence.

Personally, I don't see a need for anyone to "disclose" in advance that they will verify your identity when you check in. But that's me. I choose not to live my life in total paranoia.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I don't believe it's so much about paranoia but about protecting against identity theft. Our personal information is required in a lot of instances for valid reasons. In this case; however, most of the posters in this thread agree making a copy of a guest's driver's license is not necessary for verification & is one more venue to have that personal info "out there". The CG has graciously decided to change their policy in what I see as a goodwill gesture to relieve the concerns of their guests & I applaud them for hearing those concerns.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Great work Lori and thanks for taking it directly to the horse's mouth! Too many places lock "rules" in place to protect themselves without regard to the exposure it causes their customers. It's really nice to see them be so understanding and willing to change.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't count the number of times I've been asked for my DL number while writing out a check at a store. So often that we have our DL numbers printed on the checks. Many stores still ask to see my license and verify that the numbers on the check match my license and the picture on the license matches my face. I look at it as protection for me as much as the store. I've never had any problems with that. I do get nervous about my ss number though and when asked for it I ask why, and if they can't give me a good reason I decline and tell them they'll have to get along without it. So far the response has been "ok, we don't really need it anyway, I don't know why its being asked for" and we proceed with whatever we were trying to do.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
On the back of all my credit cards I have printed "Check ID". Most do and ask to see my drivers license. They can see it all they want, just don't make any copies of anything.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would tell them to pound salt or you can figure what I would say. They can have the lic # of my vehicle they can even make a copy of my registration and or insurance card, they can look at my Lic.,(I have ask for ID on he back all of my CC's) but they will never get it from me to make a copy of it. (There have been a lot of waiters and waitresses that have not gotten a tip because they didn't ask for ID when I gave them a credit card to pay a bill) They all probably think I'm a cheap [Moderator Edit]. But who cares.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
JimM68, I checked my Il. drivers license and no where did I find my SS#. I obtained an Il. state ID card issued by the SOS and thats what I use. No one has refused to use it as an ID.