Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm actually more relieved than anything else when people verify my identity by my DL- it says to me that they're at least as businesslike as the mini-mart on the corner
But I'd be suspicious of anybody that asked for my Social Security #. I never give that to anyone unless it's required for tax purposes, as at a bank.
The SSN really is the Identity Theft Golden Key!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I'm actually more relieved than anything else when people verify my identity by my DL- it says to me that they're at least as businesslike as the mini-mart on the corner
But I'd be suspicious of anybody that asked for my Social Security #. I never give that to anyone unless it's required for tax purposes, as at a bank.

Francesca

Its also the golden key to your credit rating. Ever try and get a credit card, or automobile financing, or anything else requiring financing without giving your social security number? I was required to give my social security number in order to get the utilities turned on at our recently purchased home. No social security number, no utilities.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #31

Quote:
I too have a great deal of global business travel experience, racking up over 400K air miles before retireing and I guess my mileage varies from yours as I've always been asked to show proof of identity when checking into a hotel, and internationally a passport is required.
Traveled internationally and throughout the US for 35 years. Before copy machines were available hotel clerks would record the DL numbers and passport numbers. After copy machines were everywhere, DL and passports were copied regularly. In fact, many hotels keep your passport hostage while you stay. IMO, RV enthusiasts are the most paranoid people I have ever met. We are so old that we do not realize that any 12 year old with a computer can probably find out all our data in 5 minutes or less. Someone else said they refuse to live in paranoia. I agree. Happy travels.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have not run into this at campgrounds, but have at many motels. Have been told that some local law enforcement agencies collect the copies in the middle of the night and run them for warrants.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Southland... you are 1000% correct..... don't EVER let anyone copy your credit card.... that constitutes fraud on their part..... all the new PCI Compliance stuff that is required of merchants today absolutely forbids a copy be made of a credit card!
I would show them a DL, but never let a copy be made... verification by "appearance" only... no copies......
If you've ever been Identity Thefted, you NEVER want to go through the "fixing" process... trust me ... it really is a PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You become the guilty one and have to re-prove everything in the world... and it will take YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
(I have ask for ID on he back all of my CC's)
Having had a business that accepted CC's I can say that some card companies specifically say that the CC MUST be signed. If not signed or say "ask for ID" the card is invalid and can not be accepted. We got a special notice about it but that was some years ago too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #35

Disney world insists on the credit card being signed. Lots of other places too. As to making a copy of DL, many places here in Wash want to see your DL if you use a credit card.

I guess that if Im uncomfortable giving someone my license to make a copy of, then I move along.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
Southland... you are 1000% correct..... don't EVER let anyone copy your credit card.... that constitutes fraud on their part..... all the new PCI Compliance stuff that is required of merchants today absolutely forbids a copy be made of a credit card!
I would show them a DL, but never let a copy be made... verification by "appearance" only... no copies......
If you've ever been Identity Thefted, you NEVER want to go through the "fixing" process... trust me ... it really is a PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You become the guilty one and have to re-prove everything in the world... and it will take YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!
As an employee working registration at a campground, we copy everyone's CC number when they use it to pay. It's recorded in the Campground Manager program.
tworootless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
The bottom line is that the owner of the CG feels he needs to confirm identification for some reason. He feels it is important enough to go to the extra work, time and hassle to do that. It is his business to run as he wants.

You as a customer have a choice. You can turn around and drive out of the CG and go to some other CG or you can show him the ID.

Personally, I do not care if he wants to see or copy the DL. It is a very minor risk of ID theft compared to all the other risks out there in the 'Internet world'.
X2, if they want you (scammer) they will get you.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man
JimM68, I checked my Il. drivers license and no where did I find my SS#. I obtained an Il. state ID card issued by the SOS and thats what I use. No one has refused to use it as an ID.
My new in dec of 10 ill d/l does not either. They used to, and then they asked and gave you tghe option. Good to know it is no longer there at all.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker
On the back of all my credit cards I have printed "Check ID". Most do and ask to see my drivers license. They can see it all they want, just don't make any copies of anything.
I am one of those also. My credit cards have "check id" written in the signature line.

Also, as is coming out in many posts, "check" is ok, even good. "COPY" is not, ever.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca

Francesca
Now that's why my credit cards say "check id".
And I sure wish there were more places that actually did.

My oldest son, a heroin addict currently serving time, would steal my wifes credit cards out of her purse, buy things with it, the pawn them for pennys on the dollar and buy drugs with money.

Kinda makes me wonder why "we" are giving him a second (or 3rd, or maybe 5th) chance when he gets out...

Oh yeah I remember, that's why I bought the knight... [Moderator Edit] I am "down the road"… alone.

Don't forget identity theft begins at home.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #41

Get you social security #s off of your drivers license. They have to give you a different number if you don't want to use your SS#. Somebody asks me for ID I give them my conceled carry permit for ID.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #42

Perry,

Try using your concealed carry permit to check in at the airport or to get onto a military base . I had to do both. Didn't have my DL because I'd left it on my scanner after copying it for my permit renewal. Didn't realize until I got to the airport that I didn't have my DL. Security person at the airport looked at me like I'd sprouted antlers and I had to wait for someone higher up the food chain to check me in. Interesting experience when going onto Ft. Bragg, too.

liz