Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thumbs down Producing Driver's License at Campground Check-In

It was my first visit to this campground (which I'll not name) for Memorial Day weekend. As part of the check-in process, they asked for my driver's license in order to make a copy of it. When I asked why, the young clerk simply answered that it was "their policy". When I expressed my concerns about identity theft the clerk said that they shread them. If it had not been the for the fact that I was meeting some friends who were also camping there, I would have demanded that my deposit be refunded and went home as this requirement was never disclosed to me upfront.

Up until now, the only informaton campgrounds ever asked me for (and not always) was the year/make/model/license# of my vehicle. As far as I'm concerned, that's all public information being that it's parked just outside the campground's office for anyone to see. Interestingly, this campground did not ask for any of that information- only my driver's license.

Has anyone else ever has this request (more like a demand) made when checking in? If so, what was your reaction?
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never run into this yet, but I think I would have said fine, take a copy and I will be back to pick it up when we leave. If they then asked for my SS# I would burn rubber out of there and never come back!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Never been asked for anything beyond my good sam card.
Here in illinois, our ssn is on our license, and no, a campground wouldn't get a copy. They could see it, and write down the d/l #, but not make a copy.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
edj

I can only think of two reasons that they would want a copy of the drivers lic.
1. You were at a CG that gave a discount to people over a certain age or from a certain area/state.
2. They have been ripped off recently by some forged credit cards and they want proof of identity.

Any other reasons for wanting proof of who you are?
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #5

No campground operator should have authority to copy down Driver licenses for any reason unless you crashed into their properties. We have enough I.D. theft going around as it is. There is no safeguards in offices at C.G. I'd leave in a moment of hearing this ugly news from an office. They didn't tell you before hand about this condition of application , because they knew its a rotten deal. Soon as enough protest, this will stop.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Where you in Florida when this happened? Just curious as the only time we had to produce ours so they could make a copy was at Titusville and thought it rather strange!
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't recall ever being asked for a copy of my DL but dosen't every Motel 6 in the world (not to mention finer hotels) require the same thing? When traveling abroad they need to see your passport.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
Where you in Florida when this happened?...

No, this incident occurred in Ohio.

And one more editorial note: asking to see my DL to verify my age, for example, is one thing. Making a copy of it, and keeping it somewhere in a campground office (and, most likely, retained in some unsecured manner) opens a whole new door for an untrustworthy employee or other person to obtain sensitive information about me that could be used in an unscrupulous manner.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
edj

The bottom line is that the owner of the CG feels he needs to confirm identification for some reason. He feels it is important enough to go to the extra work, time and hassle to do that. It is his business to run as he wants.

You as a customer have a choice. You can turn around and drive out of the CG and go to some other CG or you can show him the ID.

Personally, I do not care if he wants to see or copy the DL. It is a very minor risk of ID theft compared to all the other risks out there in the 'Internet world'.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually.. They do have a legit need to know who's parked in their lot, however you might try telling them you spouse is the licensed driver and sorry, don't got one.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I don't recall ever being asked for a copy of my DL but dosen't every Motel 6 in the world (not to mention finer hotels) require the same thing? When traveling abroad they need to see your passport.

Rick
No, not in my experience and as a business traveler I have a great deal of experience. Rental car companies, yes, hotels no.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Actually.. They do have a legit need to know who's parked in their lot, however you might try telling them you spouse is the licensed driver and sorry, don't got one.
I've done that before. They get a deer in the headlights look and don't know what to do.

Wife and I have both been hit with ID theft. We don't give any info to anyone ever.

Gal at DISH asked for my SSN, I asked her if she was going to send me a check. Confused she asked why. Explained that she only needed it for IRS reporting and I would supply a W9 if she was sending me money.

She went on about how they were trustworth, yada yada yada. My mortgage company was too, but they were hacked and that is what got us in a BIG mess.

Bottom line is tell them to pound sand. They can shred all they want to but once a copy is made it only takes a second to make another. If EVERYONE told them the same the policy would end quick.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #13

On a somewhat related issue, I was at a Northern Tool store and the young gum-popper took my credit card and headed to the copy machine. I asked what she was doing and she said making a copy. I told her that under no condition was she going to do that. She got everything in a wad and called her supervisor who put a stop to that. Stores are not allowed to make a copy of your CC. Credit card company rules apply on this. If someone tries this on you, report them to the CC company.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
No, not in my experience and as a business traveler I have a great deal of experience. Rental car companies, yes, hotels no.
I too have a great deal of global business travel experience, racking up over 400K air miles before retireing and I guess my mileage varies from yours as I've always been asked to show proof of identity when checking into a hotel, and internationally a passport is required.

What Documents Do You Need at Hotel Check-In | Hotel SuperTips

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote