RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I hate dealing with insurance companies and rep's. My previous rep was good to deal with, about every year we would review my options and he would provide a policy from the best company. I never could find a better price.

The company has since been bought and consolidated with another agent. Communication has pretty much ceased unless I call, which I don't like to do.

We just built a new house, about 4 miles from our old house but in a different zip code. Sold the old house so I called to cancel the homeowners policy. Evidently all the policies were associated with the old address so as soon as new address was changed to primary I was told my auto insurance was going up. RV stayed the same, so I pretty much OK with that.

My RV insurance is through Grange, had a claim in 2015 for a damaged radiator due to road debris. The accepted the claim which was +$7K. Insurance didn't go up at all and has stayed the same almost the same from when we first insured the motorhome.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaway View Post
Just got off of the phone with a Progressive insurance rep about my rate increase for my motorhome coverage. When I finally got to talk to a human, the policy coverage was discussed. First on the list was the "value" of the MH, and I was instructed to view the declaration page of the policy. On that page was listed the initial cost of the MH--nowhere was there a "value" listed. The MH is now 4 years old and obviously has depreciated in value. I was told that it was my responsibility to keep them informed as to the current value. The cost of the policy was still being calculated on the basis of the original cost--and no, the rep would not admit that if it were totalled, certainly one would not be reimbursed on the basis of the original cost. At my insistence a new renewal notice is being generated reflecting the current value of the unit. It seems to me that this in itself is a scam. The insurance company certainly knows that a 4 year old MH is not worth the same as if it were new. They certainly would not cover the vehicle as a new unit.................Rockaway, 2014 Tuscany XTE
Is it possible that they are insuring the mh for a declared value?
As with my fifth wheel it's insured for what I paid " Declared value"

carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
We have all our vehicles and motorcycles with Progressive and for all we spend about 2200 manually inclusive of road service and comprehensive. car, jeep, van, rv two MC. others were over 400 more.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #32

Progressive= George Soros, thus the name. Won't give him my money. I use ANPAC (I'm a fulltimer)
COLPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #33

Keep in mind that no one can compare their insurance cost to someone else.

Insurance is based on many individual personal things such as state, city, county, your age, credit report, accidents, tickets, age of RV, what amounts of insurance you specify, etc.

The only way to get a good price is to get prices from 3 or 4 based on the exact same requirements. This will be YOUR best price. Then.... every 3-4 years do the same again and switch to the better price.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
All - Call it anything you want to. The past few years, the USA has suffered many, many bad fires, and weather events. Remember the rain in TX in 2016. Over 500,000 cars were totaled because of 35" of rain over a 10 day period. The fires in CA this past fall, 8,000+ buildings alone were destroyed. Rates are going up because all those claims have to be paid, it does not make any difference who you have insurance with, everyone of us is going to make those companies whole. Our homewners went from 750 a year in 16, to 1140 year today. Car ins was 790, including RV (not full time) and now just paid 1140 for 6 months, we get drivers discount when we take driving class, so without that discount, it would be even more. Get used to it, record tornados this spring in the south from TX all the way up to, MA. Until mother nature stops kicking our backside, things are going to continue to increase.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #35

Lakerats

The exact same thing happened to us. Our premium doubled. Left Progressive and now use Good Sams Insurance.
rabbit6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #36

Progressive and Soros

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLPeg View Post
Progressive= George Soros, thus the name. Won't give him my money. I use ANPAC (I'm a fulltimer)
Sigh. This old saw appears almost every time Progressive comes up. Soros does not own any sock in Progressive and never has. Peter Lewis, a former CEO did donate to some liberal organizations, but only personally and not as Progressive. (He's dead now, by the way.)

I can understand not patronizing a company whose political policies you disagree with, but at least check out the company you plan to boycott! Far too many people act like sheep when politics come in to play.
Dave Dopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #37

Remember the best policy in dealing with any insurance company is to shop at least every other year for the best rate. It seems that they all raise their rates with or without any reported loss and they expect your loyalty but it doesn't go the other way. Most states require insurance companies to maintain a reserve to cover major losses even if it isn't used they will still raise their rate under the guise of "It's been a bad year someplace". I go through this every year on my home insurance, boat and car insurance. I think they just raise the rates figuring you maynot notice or check the rate from last year.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #38

Sometimes rate increases are to get rid of customers on an older policy that the company no longer wants to honor. This happened to me with Allstate and my auto insurance, it was a older policy that couldn't be cancelled by Allstate. Another time I bought a motorcycle, called my Allstate agent and got it insured, the rate had always been very competitive, and found out a month was going to cost what it usually cost for a year. Allstate was "getting out" of the Motorcycle insurance business, which turned out to be a code for eliminating customers so they could roll out a new motorcycle insurance line. The last straw was when I received a letter one year in November that said that I had 90 days to fix the roof and paint the house or they were going to cancel my house policy. The roof was fair, it needed it, but the drive by inspector insisted the siding was asbestos, it was cedar, the PO had painted it, and wouldn't hold paint if I tried. Also, in North East Ohio, you're not going to paint a house in the winter. 3 strikes and you're out. I won't do Allstate anymore, and I was a customer for at least 20 years.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:37 PM   #39

I had everything covered with Progressive for a few years but then January came along with hiked premiums on our regular vehicles. Ended up going with the Hartford to get the cost back down.

Just got my Progressive renewal for the motorhome today. To my surprise, the new annual premium is $48 less than last years. I'm not sure what their rhyme or reason is but in this case, I won't complain. This is definitely a first for me!
Old 04-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #40

90 Dollar increase in our truck insurance.

I called our agent to ask them why the increase. Our F250 is one year older and we have had no claims. Called me the next day and said we qualify for a good driver program. Dropped the 90dollar increase. This is Travelers ins.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #41

Traded in a 2006 150 on a 2018 new 150 and my premium went down $48 for the year. Go figure. Same coverage.
Cliffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Traded in a 2006 150 on a 2018 new 150 and my premium went down $48 for the year. Go figure. Same coverage.
Similar thing here - traded in my '14 RAM 1500 for a '19 F-250 and my premiums went down over $100 a year with same coverage with Allstate. Apparently due to additional safety features on the F-250 that the RAM didn't have (Blind Spot/Cross Traffic detection was mentioned).

TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote