Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also, here are some links that might help...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/progr...on-116678.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/progr...ml#post1114497

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/remot...on-117752.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #16

I installed a 30 amp hard wired unit in my trailer and it is great. The remote display is worth it also. It scrolls through a sequence of checks and will give you peace of mind that everything is ok. The unit is user serviceable and it is easily done by anyone. If you can install a light switch you can install the hard wire unit. One use for the remote display, some one takes a shower and uses up all the hot water, just wait until the amps being drawn goes back down to 3 or 4 and you know the element in the tank has shut off and you're good to go. No hassles with hook up like a portable unit and someone can't come by and steal it.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tried to post this picture of my remote EMS display unit with the post yesterday but kept getting an error....here it is....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS REMOTE.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	55887  
Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Here's my 2 cents worth of opinion for your situation.

First, think about whether you may upgrade to a different RV sometime later that may have 50 amp service. If so then I would invest in the 50 amp model.

Second, if you are not handy with electrical stuff, then have the service people do the installation. Their labor rate is average and two hours is correct.

Third, if you are handy and could do the installation yourself, then there are web sites with these units for sale that are probably cheaper than what the shop would charge you for the unit.

Just do a Google search for the specific model that you end up deciding to purchase.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
After much research, I also purchased the portable 30 Amp version because of the features and lifetime warranty. I have not used it yet; however, my intention is to connect it to the power cord and lock the device in the compartment. Then, run a 30 Amp extension cord from the compartment to the RV Park power plug.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Many, many years ago I bought the 30 amp portable unit and have been very happy with it. Last year I bought a motorhome with 50 amp service so the first thing I bought was a 50 amp portable unit. The first one that they sent didn't work and Progressive immediately sent a replacement (before I could even return the defective unit). I kept the 30 amp unit (glad I did) and have used it several times at places where I had only 30 amp service available. I like having the portable units and highly recommend Progressive Industries.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's something I learned the other day when researching the Progressive unit. The 50 amp WITH THE DISPLAY, has a bypass in case there is a problem with the unit. The 50 amp WITHOUT THE DISPLAY has a wire you have to insert to bypass the unit during a failure. I bought the display unit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here's something I learned the other day when researching the Progressive unit. The 50 amp WITH THE DISPLAY, has a bypass in case there is a problem with the unit. The 50 amp WITHOUT THE DISPLAY has a wire you have to insert to bypass the unit during a failure. I bought the display unit.

Thanks for the tip Don!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #23

The bypass also allows one to run a portable generator since part of the EMS is to check for unprotected grounds and portable generators are usually not grounded. The bypass only disables part of the functions. Still works as a surge protector. Ours is hard wired and was installed during build.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #24

Oh My.... Us out west.. I surely hope you sanitized that water faucet before you connected the hose. Campground should never put water right next to sewer. Bad design.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
Oh My.... Us out west.. I surely hope you sanitized that water faucet before you connected the hose. Campground should never put water right next to sewer. Bad design.

but not a problem Tom....thanks.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Progressive 30 Amp portable. It came with my 5er when I purchased it used. One of the LED lights was out, so I called Progressive and asked if they would fix it even though I did not purchase it. They told me to send it in and shipped a rebuilt unit to my house NO CHARGE. They will be getting my business when I get my next 5er. I'll need a 50 Amp for that.....