Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Progressive Industries 30amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display

Recommendations Wanted. I have a new Forrest River Sunseeker, which I am having a few things added on to it before I pick it up. What do people think about having a Progressive Industries 30 amp Hardwired EMS with remote display versus just buying a 30 amp Portable EMS-PT30C unit($253 on Amazon)? The RV Dealership wants to charge me $305 for the hardwired unit and Installation (2 hours) at $115/hour ($230) = $535. Is this a good thing to do? I welcome your thoughts on which of the two options is best for me.
StripesRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesRef View Post
Recommendations Wanted. I have a new Forrest River Sunseeker, which I am having a few things added on to it before I pick it up. What do people think about having a Progressive Industries 30 amp Hardwired EMS with remote display versus just buying a 30 amp Portable EMS-PT30C unit($253 on Amazon)? The RV Dealership wants to charge me $305 for the hardwired unit and Installation (2 hours) at $115/hour ($230) = $535. Is this a good thing to do? I welcome your thoughts on which of the two options is best for me.
I can highly recommend the Progressive. I have the 50A version with remote on my coach. The price you were quoted for the unit itself seems fair If you look at the cost online. Not sure about the installation charge. Seems a little high to me but in the ball park.
Progressive is, IMHO, the best on the market with the best warranty. Mine has saved the equipment in my coach a number of times from faulty wiring at the pedestal. You will not regret the purchase.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hardwire is best. No packing or unpacking, no worry about theft or leaving it behind, and no need to cable lock to deter thieves. Check other sources for better purchase price.
I have the 50 amp, ran the wiring and installed the boxes. Had local licensed electrician hook up the wires to the box. Saved me money and no regrets on my purchase.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
On my first motorhome I used the hardwired unit. For my latest coach I use a portable 50 amp unit. I installed an outlet inside my coach on the end of the power cord where it comes into the coach. I can plug the Progressive unit into the receptacle inside and if for any reason I choose not to use it or it goes bad I can bypass it and it stays safe from theft.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Highly recommended to have a Progressive EMS. I have the 30a portable unit. On my to-do list is to modify my power cord as Bill did above, as it provides the best attributes of the portable and the Hardwired units, without the install cost. That said, I have not been where I feel the security needs, so have not moved up the priority on the to-do list. And should I be in much a situation I can just use my extension cable to move the unit inside the electric bay.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #6

The Progressive hardwired unit (no remote) is $221 Amazon Prime. IMHO your dealer's installation price is absurd.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the hardwired unit with remote and am very happy with it.

Progressive Industries Electrical Management System, Hardwire 30A..
I was concerned about what if something went wrong with it and it wouldn't let power in to the coach. There is a bypass switch on the remote for just that problem.

I came close to buying the portable unit, but am very happy with the hardwired unit I installed. I like seeing where the power is on the remote display as well.

I used a data cable and the coach's existing phone jack system to bring the remote wiring inside, plugging in to the phone jack in front of the co-pilot's chair. I put the remote near the entry door, which is where I am most of the time when wanting to look at electrical load levels.

Either way, the Progressive unit is the way to go. Lifetime warranty. I highly recommend Progressive.

Best of Luck, let us know what you decide!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
RV Dealership wants to charge me $305 for the hardwired unit and Installation (2 hours) at $115/hour ($230) = $535. Is this a good thing to do? I welcome your thoughts on which of the two options is best for me.
Buy from Amazon and install it yourself and save over $300 for fuel.

While you at it find a different dealer. Or a mobile service guy.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a transfer switch, so it took my good friend about 30 minutes to install mine. That did not include the remote display unit, I took care of it myself.

So if they are running the cabling for the remote display, it could take up to 2 hours.

If you aren't electric savy, by all means, its worth it to have the safety and security of knowing your coach is secure from low/high voltage damage and other 'bad' power issues. Do have it installed if you can't do it yourself. It's an insurance policy that hopefully you'll never have to use, but its nice to know its there.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #10

The bypass on the EMS allows you to run a portable generator since most are not grounded. When bypassed, it still works as a surge protector.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #11

Progressive Industries is an excellent company .... their surge protectors are made in NC .... they back their products with exceptional customer service .... we use one of their 50 amp units that plugs into the CG electrical outlet and our camper plugs into it .... we considered the hard wired unit but I'd rather have the protection outside of the camper

Jim
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would just wait until you purchase the RV, then add the PI unit yourself, or with the help of a friend who is familiar with basic electrical work.

The company below has the HW30C for $234.

Progressive 30A Hardwired Protection Systems

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBar View Post
Progressive Industries is an excellent company .... their surge protectors are made in NC .... they back their products with exceptional customer service .... we use one of their 50 amp units that plugs into the CG electrical outlet and our camper plugs into it .... we considered the hard wired unit but I'd rather have the protection outside of the camper

Jim
Same for us Jim because of what it will do;

This is NOT one of those inexpensive $100 'surge protectors' but an EMS that will protect your investment from potential problems most people would not even think of.

NOTE: Whenever electrical power falls below 104 volts or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV.

Progressive Industries Portable 50 AMP Electrical Management System

Features:

High low voltage protection: Whenever source power fall below 104 Volts, or rise above 132 volts the EMS PT50C automatically shuts down power to the RV. Once the AC source rises above 104-volts, or below the 132-volt level the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to RV.

Time delay for A/C Compressor: Whenever source power is interrupted by the source or the EMS, due to a fault condition the built in time delay is activated, for 136 seconds.

3-Mode surge protection: This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-G, L-L and N-G. Joule rating is 3560, response time of <1 nano second.

Surge Indicator: If ever a power surge damages the surge protector circuit within the EMS L-N, or L-G Digital display error code will read E-10. This is your indication that it needs to be replaced.

Reverse polarity protection: If source is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.

Open neutral protection: If the source has an open neutral condition the display will not light, and will not allow power to the RV.

Open ground protection: If source power has an open ground condition the EMS will read an error code of E2 and will not allow power to the RV.

AC Frequency Protection: If source power frequency deviants +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second the EMS will shut down source power, and indicate an E7 or E8 error code on the digital display.

Accidental 220V protection: If 220 volts is detected when plugging into source power the EMS will not allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage, and the appropriate error code.

Integrated information panel: Scrolls continuously all of the power source information, voltage, current, frequency, error codes, and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for 2 seconds.

Previous error code: This feature tells the user why the EMS previously interrupted to the RV. This is only displayed if an error actually occurs and goes away when power is disconnected.

Whether resistant: Can be exposed to elements, may not be submerged.

Microprocessor controlled: The computer, is driven by state of the art microprocessors that are programmed with software to drive the entire EMS.

Built in Lock Bracket: Allows the user to secure to power source to prevent theft.

Dimensions: 5" W x 16 1/2" L x 5" H

Lifetime Warranty!

Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #14

To address the hardwired vs portable issue...
I've had a portable unit in continuous use since 2009 and I recently discovered that my power cord was hot. Sure enough, one side of the socket and it's corresponding plug were burnt. I sent it off to Progressive and they very quickly repaired it under warranty and sent it back prepaid shipping.
Clearly it shouldn't have been a warranty repair, and I didn't ask for it, but they're a first-class outfit.
Then a month or so ago, plugging into an apparently loose outlet badly burned one pin on the plug and appears to have scorched insulation down the short plug wire of the unit. The plug wire isn't long enough to trim it back and install a new plug.
So I just ordered the hardwired unit. The only plug will be at the end of the power cord and it's easy to replace the plug when needed.
I ordered the unit without the remote; the only reason I ever looked at the reading on the box was to see amp draw. Other than that it's either on or off, and if it's off I can go look in the bay to see what's wrong. Probably the high installation price is to snake the remote wire in; otherwise there are six screw wire connections to make.
I do very highly recommend the EMS units of either type. I do know it's shut down for low voltage many times that might've damaged an a/c compressor and I believed it saved us from lightning damage a couple of times.