Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Lincolnboy2's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Prairie, TX (DFW)
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stCougar View Post
I installed the EMSHW-50C in my 5ver this last weekend, I was very Lucky my power cord came lose at the female end shorted out the microwave
and a wine cooler but lucky that was all, if you have any trouble with power turn off breaker at shore power pole and unplug, as I was trying to
figure out what was wrong checking the female end the cord came right out of the end of the plug on to the wet grass don't know what would have happened if power would have still been in that cord I was glad it was not plugged in.
I checked It out today works great I have the remote display which has
the bypass switch on it.

Great install!

I didn't know they had one with the bypass switch on it (remote display)

Progressive told me most people mount the remote near where they plug in their power, but I think I'd rather have it up in the house.
__________________

__________________
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
1stCougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 316
I thought about putting on the side of the stairs where I have my remote propane indicator,but the wire was just to short.
__________________

__________________
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #31
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Great install!

I didn't know they had one with the bypass switch on it (remote display)

Progressive told me most people mount the remote near where they plug in their power, but I think I'd rather have it up in the house.
I think there are differences in the 30 vs 50 amp units. I think that PI is correct in putting in the plug in area. Mine is the portable and I have it installed in the basement by the plug and I like the idea of seeing it when I plug in. The 50 amp unit has the led on the unit. The remote is an extra and allows you to see whats going on from inside the Coach. I think you'll probably want to see it when you plug in as well. If there is a problem you'll be going outside anyway to investigate. My two cents. Good luck with any way you decide.

On edit. I just went to PI web site and saw the one you bought. It doesn't have a display on the unit and therefore makes more sense to mount the display by the plug. You could have saved money with the unit that has the display built in.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
f14av8r's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa Area (sometimes!)
Posts: 390
I wouldn't be without my EMSHW-50C. I've been saved from bad campground power pedestals at least 5 times in two years. It is also very comforting to hook the cable up then have the unit diagnose the power before making a connection.

The Bypass Switch is a good idea. There are times you might want to have it installed. For example, you can't run a Honda Generator through the EMSHW-50C unless you bypass. Something about the way Honda does the ground. Might be true for other generators too.

I don't see the value in a remote display though. The only time I look at my display is immediately after hooking up or if there is a problem. I don't really see the value in monitoring it from inside the coach.
__________________
Randy and Tina & pups: Cinnamon, Cookie & Coco
2010 Winnebago Journey 34Y
Freightliner / Cummins 340hp ISB
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Lincolnboy2's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Prairie, TX (DFW)
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I think there are differences in the 30 vs 50 amp units. I think that PI is correct in putting in the plug in area. Mine is the portable and I have it installed in the basement by the plug and I like the idea of seeing it when I plug in. The 50 amp unit has the led on the unit. The remote is an extra and allows you to see whats going on from inside the Coach. I think you'll probably want to see it when you plug in as well. If there is a problem you'll be going outside anyway to investigate. My two cents. Good luck with any way you decide.

On edit. I just went to PI web site and saw the one you bought. It doesn't have a display on the unit and therefore makes more sense to mount the display by the plug. You could have saved money with the unit that has the display built in.
Yes, I saw that. It would have been simpler, but I did want to see what was going on sometimes with the remote. But I may found an easy way to install the remote from a member here on iRV2.

Will keep you posted.

Kent
__________________
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Yes, I saw that. It would have been simpler, but I did want to see what was going on sometimes with the remote. But I may found an easy way to install the remote from a member here on iRV2.

Will keep you posted.

Kent
I saw Dale's post. He's a great technical guy. I've attended three of his seminars and have three of his books that he wrote.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Lincolnboy2's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Prairie, TX (DFW)
Posts: 3,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I saw Dale's post. He's a great technical guy. I've attended three of his seminars and have three of his books that he wrote.
Excellent! Thanks again, Cliff!
__________________
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
iRV2 Marketing
 
DriVer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 23,304
Blog Entries: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I saw Dale's post. He's a great technical guy. I've attended three of his seminars and have three of his books that he wrote.
Clifftall, I regret to announce that Dale Sumner has gone off the road and has given up his Progressive dealership.

We will miss him terribly. That said Dale may still hit the road every so once in a while to promote his library of books which detail all aspects of RV power.

Dale has put up his motorhome for sale. It was a sad day for me personally and I will miss him not being on the road. Most recently Dale supported the iRV2.com National Rally in Bethpage, VA.

Mobile RV Medic is no longer in business.

Look for Dale's publications to be on sale on Amazon.com.
__________________
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #37
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer
Clifftall, I regret to announce that Dale Sumner has gone off the road and has given up his Progressive dealership.

We will miss him terribly. That said Dale may still hit the road every so once in a while to promote his library of books which detail all aspects of RV power.

Dale has put up his motorhome for sale. It was a sad day for me personally and I will miss him not being on the road. Most recently Dale supported the iRV2.com National Rally in Bethpage, VA.

Mobile RV Medic is no longer in business.

Look for Dale's publications to be on sale on Amazon.com.
Hey Mike. I know about his retirement from his Mobile Medic RV business. He lectured at the Lazy Days Fleetwood Rally in Jan and I called him the other day when I was wiring my surge protector and he kindly gave me some advice. He told me that he will continue to monitor this forum and give advice as well as do lecturing and book sales as you mentioned. I think he is incapable of not giving advice when needed.

Cliff
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #38
iRV2 Marketing
 
DriVer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 23,304
Blog Entries: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
.. I think he is incapable of not giving advice when needed ..
Absolutely!
__________________
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #39
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer
Absolutely!
Here's a look at Dale's three books I mentioned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1275243976.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	541.5 KB
ID:	18816

I found them to be well written and easy to follow. He has a way of explaining complicated things in layman terms.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #40
iRV2 Marketing
 
DriVer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 23,304
Blog Entries: 70
Now that we brought this subject up .... if anyone is interested in re-visiting and or reading more about RV power systems consider spending a little time in reading Dale's Blogs.

We are very grateful that he took the time to to publish these excerpts from his library and is sharing the contents with iRV2 members. Dale has provided us with 22 Blogs.

The Blogs of Dale Sumner - RV Electrical Systems

Dale is a RVIA Master Certified RV Technician. (He's also a Mustang)
__________________
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #41
Junior Member
 
56 Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edgewater FL
Posts: 16
Getting ready to purchase but undecided between EMS-PT50C and EMS-LCHW50.
Does any one using the portable unit have concerns or problems relating to it being exposed to the weather. I like the idea of being able to plug into the pedestal an check status before plugging coach in but am concerned about rain damaging the unit. Like the idea of unit inside basement but then can't check status of power without plugging coach in. Comments on why you went one way or the other welcomed.
__________________
56 Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #42
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Nomad
Getting ready to purchase but undecided between EMS-PT50C and EMS-LCHW50.
Does any one using the portable unit have concerns or problems relating to it being exposed to the weather. I like the idea of being able to plug into the pedestal an check status before plugging coach in but am concerned about rain damaging the unit. Like the idea of unit inside basement but then can't check status of power without plugging coach in. Comments on why you went one way or the other welcomed.
The portable unit is made for outside , so you don't have to concern yourself. The manual says not to let it get submerged. As far as installing it in the basement. I did just that last week. It is plugged in before the transfer switch and therefore affords the same protection as it does if you plugged it into the pedestal. It will not allow power into the RV until it checks out OK.
__________________

__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No shore power in motorhome PatStab RV Systems & Appliances 161 12-20-2012 07:33 AM
Rv television ? Akibase Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 52 05-26-2012 09:02 AM
High GAS prices will we rv less? mangum2camp iRV2.com General Discussion 206 05-14-2012 01:47 PM
National RV, Rear CAT overheats too easily Bonanza45D Caterpillar Engine Forum 57 05-07-2012 04:14 PM
Totally New To RV'ing MerryK Class A Motorhome Discussions 43 03-14-2012 09:44 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.