Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #43
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall

The portable unit is made for outside , so you don't have to concern yourself. The manual says not to let it get submerged. As far as installing it in the basement. I did just that last week. It is plugged in before the transfer switch and therefore affords the same protection as it does if you plugged it into the pedestal. It will not allow power into the RV until it checks out OK.
Here's a photo of my install if it will assist. I just did it and haven't " buttoned " it up yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-732129539.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	18817

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #44
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Nomad View Post
Like the idea of unit inside basement but then can't check status of power without plugging coach in. Comments on why you went one way or the other welcomed.
56 Nomad, You are putting yourself in between a rock and a hard place. If you plug into shore power regardless of which device you ultimately choose, the EMS is the boss and determines whether or not it will throw the power to the coach. It does not matter if you use the EMS before or after the service entrance cable. Look at it this way, the service entrance cable is just an extension cord to the EMS. Whether that extension is 12 inches or 30 feet doesn't matter.

The HW device's best advantage is that you will "never" forget it on the picnic table. I see no advantage to a portable unless you change coaches like some folks change their socks.

Secondary is that there is 1 connection points less to be concerned about long term.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #45
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer

I see no advantage to a portable unless you change coaches like some folks change their socks.
. Well , some of us can 't put it inside for various space limitations . Ask Dale as he looked at mine. The transfer switch in my Bounder is under a draw next to the converter leaving no room for the surge protector. I'm very happy that I had the portable option and as you can see from my photo above, I will not be leaving it on a picnic table.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased the Progressive HW50C Remote and installed it as a portable so I could easily remove it if I ever wanted to. The reason I did that was I had been using the 50 amp TRC Portable unit and finally switched to the best unit on the market today.

You can see photos of my install on this thread. Look at post #6

progressive industries EMS-50PC

I installed one remote in a bedroom overhead cabinet where the Intellitec EMS lives. I also installed another remote in my service bay with an A/B switch.This allows me to use the remote in the service bay directly after hooking up to shore power. Once power has been checked and OK, I switch it over to the remote display in the bedroom cabinet.

Photos attached.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Progressive EMS HW50 Display-1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	18820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progressive EMS HW50 Display-2.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	18821  

Name:	Progressive EMS Service Bay Display.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	18822  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Here's a photo of my install if it will assist. I just did it and haven't " buttoned " it up yet.

Attachment 18817
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #48
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
One other installation that may require support from a portable would be an RV that has an externally mounted twist-lock receptacle.

Not one flavor fits all however if there is room for an internal solution, I would consider that as a good option rather than portable.

Dale accomplished a fantastic installation on my HW-50.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I purchased the Progressive HW50C Remote and installed it as a portable so I could easily remove it if I ever wanted to. The reason I did that was I had been using the 50 amp TRC Portable unit and finally switched to the best unit on the market today.

You can see photos of my install on this thread. Look at post #6

progressive industries EMS-50PC

I installed one remote in a bedroom overhead cabinet where the Intellitec EMS lives. I also installed another remote in my service bay with an A/B switch.This allows me to use the remote in the service bay directly after hooking up to shore power. Once power has been checked and OK, I switch it over to the remote display in the bedroom cabinet.

Photos attached.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, I see your remote wiring plugging into the phone system. Did you run the remote from the bedroom phone plugin or a separate line? Reason I ask is I plan to use the phone jacks (assuming all 4 wires are hooked up) to bring the remote display in to the coach from the basement.

Thanks!

Kent
Old 03-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just received today my EMS-HW30C....

Will be installing it this weekend.....

Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-03-14_13-39-57_120.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	18838  
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #51
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2
Just received today my EMS-HW30C....

Will be installing it this weekend.....

Wish me luck!
Good luck.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #52
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Richard, I see your remote wiring plugging into the phone system. Did you run the remote from the bedroom phone plugin or a separate line? Reason I ask is I plan to use the phone jacks (assuming all 4 wires are hooked up) to bring the remote display in to the coach from the basement.
Kent, Please know that the "phone wires" that your are talking about do not support telephony wiring. The RJ12 cable from the unit to the display head is wired straight through unlike telephone wires which will cross over. Unless I am way wrong, jacking the remote head into the telco wiring (using a short piece of telco extension cable) on your rig may damage the display unit OR at the very least not display anything at all.

Dale told me that you can not for example use a 25 foot telco extension cable between the unit and the remote head because it just won't display anything.

The cable shown in the graphic does not appear to be a telco cable and I bet it's pinned out straight through.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One of the first items I purchased for my RV was the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C from RVupgrades.com after I read about it on this forum. I also purchased the EMS-RDS remote display. Shown here is my installation. It is to the right of the transfer switch and just below the Inverter in the basement storage bay. I mounted the display close to the edge of the storage bay so I can easily see it when I hook up the power. I plan on mounting the remote display in the area of the OnePlace systems center where all of the other displays are located, but have not gotten around to it yet.

If you look carefully, the input (left side) is going into the side marked output and the output (right side) is coming from the side marked input. For my install, I mounted the unit upside down because it worked out better due to the wire routing. I then just mounted the cover after turning it 180 degrees so the fault code writing was right side up.

Name:	P1030695.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	18857
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
I judy bought the portable surge protector thinking that there was no easy way to install it in my 5er. Hopefully I made the right choice. I see most everyone has bought the permanent installed unit.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
One of the first items I purchased for my RV was the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C from RVupgrades.com after I read about it on this forum. I also purchased the EMS-RDS remote display. Shown here is my installation. It is to the right of the transfer switch and just below the Inverter in the basement storage bay. I mounted the display close to the edge of the storage bay so I can easily see it when I hook up the power. I plan on mounting the remote display in the area of the OnePlace systems center where all of the other displays are located, but have not gotten around to it yet.

If you look carefully, the input (left side) is going into the side marked output and the output (right side) is coming from the side marked input. For my install, I mounted the unit upside down because it worked out better due to the wire routing. I then just mounted the cover after turning it 180 degrees so the fault code writing was right side up.

Attachment 18857

wlf00.... I just received my EMS-LCHW50C unit today. I just have to wait till I can get my MH out of storage. I am thinking I may need to install my unit upside down as well. Just mainly to have an easier way to wire it up. I havent looked at it too hard, but was wondering if you install the digital display where it belongs, how can you turn the lid 180 degrees and still have the display in the display window of the lid? Would it be possible to get you to take a picture of your setup straight on? It says in the instructions that you can install after the transfer box and be able to protect both the genny and AC power. Why would you think it needs to protect your own genny? Or why would you NOT need to protect it? Thanks, just trying to learn. Everyone please pitch in with your opinions.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

Thanks!

Kent
Kent,

It may appear that way but I assure you it is not. I simply used the hole behind the telephone box to easily route the data cable over to the A/B switch.

You cannot use telephone cable as the data cable is wired completely different than telephone cable. The instructions will tell you that.

I ran 4 wire cable and terminated it myself per data cable specs. The remote in the bedroom was installed first and I used a longer data cable that I had already. When I went to install the second remote and A/B switch, I had to run two cables from the EMS box, one going to the A/B switch for the Bay remote and another coming back from the A/B switch to the bedroom remote.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
power