Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #57
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film

Kent,

It may appear that way but I assure you it is not. I simply used the hole behind the telephone box to easily route the data cable over to the A/B switch.

You cannot use telephone cable as the data cable is wired completely different than telephone cable. The instructions will tell you that.

I ran 4 wire cable and terminated it myself per data cable specs. The remote in the bedroom was installed first and I used a longer data cable that I had already. When I went to install the second remote and A/B switch, I had to run two cables from the EMS box, one going to the A/B switch for the Bay remote and another coming back from the A/B switch to the bedroom remote.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
There seems to be a difference of opinion on this idea of using telephone jacks. Dale Sumner posted the other day to Kent that you can. Hopefully Kent will jump in here and point us to that post.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
If you look at the "telephone" jack, RJ-11, as merely a multi-wire connector and not as a "telephone" jack there's no problem. As Richard stated, he terminated the cable himself per data wire specs. The only caveat would be if the wires are powering the device and the amperage is too high for the wire gauge.

Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #59
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found the post by Dale. Post # 5 Remote EMC Display Location .

I'm not at all familiar with this. I was merely pointing out what appeared to be a difference of opinion to clear it up for Kent who is about to install this in a few days.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #60

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Richard! Well, I did receive this little tidbit of information from Mr. Dale and thought that might be what you did:

Lincolnboy2,

I sold and installed PI's EMS units for 9 years (but no longer represent the company). You can mount the remote display anywhere within 14 feet of the EMS (that's how long the provided data cable is). And, yes, it is a data cable, not a phone cable.

PI also has an additional remote display kit that is designed so you can mount one display in the basement (easily seen when you initially plug in) and another display inside the RV (easily seen when an electrical problem may exist, or for 50 amp RVs, to keep an eye on the available volts and amp draw on each line when dogged down to a 30 amp outlet). There is a switch box (part of the kit) that also needs to be installed in the basement. The EMS can only "talk" to one display at a time.

I installed my EMS with the switch and one display in the basement and the other display upstairs in the bedroom. Very convenient if a problem occurred during the night in the middle of a storm and I wanted to know why the power went out.

Shhhh, now here's a secret - if you have a telephone jack in the same basement compartment where you mount(ed) the EMS, and if the jack has all four wires attached (black, red, green, and yellow), you can use the RV's internal phone system as a data cable! (The EMS requires all four wires to transmit data, where a phone only needs the middle two and they twist from one end of the cable to the other.)

All installed phone cables have four wires, but most OEMs only use two for the phone system. If all four are connected, you can route the output of the EMS to the basement jack, then plug the remote display into any interior jack. Works just fine. If only two wires are connected, you will need to connect all four wires at all of the jacks - they are connected in series. By moving the display from the basement to the interior, you can eliminate the need for the additional display kit.

For those who may have purchased the LCHW model (integrated display), a remote display cannot be added. Sorry.

Hope this helps.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreek7 View Post
wlf00.... I just received my EMS-LCHW50C unit today. I just have to wait till I can get my MH out of storage. I am thinking I may need to install my unit upside down as well. Just mainly to have an easier way to wire it up. I havent looked at it too hard, but was wondering if you install the digital display where it belongs, how can you turn the lid 180 degrees and still have the display in the display window of the lid? Would it be possible to get you to take a picture of your setup straight on? It says in the instructions that you can install after the transfer box and be able to protect both the genny and AC power. Why would you think it needs to protect your own genny? Or why would you NOT need to protect it? Thanks, just trying to learn. Everyone please pitch in with your opinions.
lilgreek7,

The unit I ordered was the EMS-HW50C which has a remote display. I ordered this one primarily so that I would not have to reach my head into the storage bay to read the display. I could mount the display where it was easier to read. Since there is no display on the cover of my unit, and the mounting holes on the cover are symmetrical, the cover can be rotated 180 degrees. Now I only have to stick my head into the storage bay if I need to know what one of the error codes represents.

It looks like the EMS-LCHW50C unit that you ordered will have to keep the cover in the same orientation.
wlf00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is true that if you decide to install your EMS-HW50C upside down for ease of connection, your cover and all the writing on it will be upside down. Fortunately, you can rotate the LED display itself 180 degrees so the readout will be right side up. I didn't do this personally but I watched the installer do it on my coach and it looked pretty simple. He just pulled the top cover off, rotated the LED (might have been a couple of screws) then put the cover back on.
Hope that helps. I love mine!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #63

I like where I put my remote display its in the living room,
where we are most of the time when we are in the rv.
I put the door on so I don't have to look at the red lights
and will be attaching the code card inside the door somehow
don't know how yet .
But if there is a power problem just open door code card is there
and hope its a easy fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3090044.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	18916  
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #64

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got mine installed yesterday afternoon.

Finally figured out that upon first look when it arrived in the box, I had put the lid back on upside down, so when we went to hook it up, we hooked it up backward. I couldn't tell the difference until the Progressive guy told me to make sure the blue thingys are on the input side.....or output, now I can't remember. Anyway, we are all hooked up and its running beautifully.

Now just gotta get the remote into the coach. Still exploring the existing telephone jack issue. I can't use a regular phone cord so gotta find a data cable like the one that came with the EMS..
Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Finally figured out that upon first look when it arrived in the box, I had put the lid back on upside down, so when we went to hook it up, we hooked it up backward. I couldn't tell the difference until the Progressive guy told me to make sure the blue thingys are on the input side.....or output, now I can't remember. Anyway, we are all hooked up and its running beautifully.
Those blue thingy's are to monitor the amount of amps you are drawing from each leg of a 50 amp power supply, therefore they should always be placed on the output side of the EMS plus they have to be installed in a specific direction onto the 50 amp cable.

Glad you got it working and are now safe from any bad electrical pedestals. However, it will NOT save you from a direct lightning strike which I hope will never happen but you just never know.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #66

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Just got mine installed yesterday afternoon.

Now just gotta get the remote into the coach. Still exploring the existing telephone jack issue. I can't use a regular phone cord so gotta find a data cable like the one that came with the EMS..

I finally found a data cable that I could use the coach's internal telephone system, ran the remote display over to just left of the entry door. Hid the wiring with the little cover-up tubing....

Here's the final product:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS REMOTE.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	22165  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #67
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking good Kent.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #68

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
There seems to be a difference of opinion on this idea of using telephone jacks. Dale Sumner posted the other day to Kent that you can. Hopefully Kent will jump in here and point us to that post.
I did indeed use a data cable, it was an old one we were gonna throw out from the office, I just plugged it in to see if it would work, and it did!

Plugged in to the phone inlet down in the utility bay then checked both the front co-pilot phone jack and the phone jack in the bedroom. Both worked and the emc remote jumped right to life.

Took me a few weeks to decide where I wanted it and how I wanted to run the cable, decided to plug in to the co-pilot floor kickplate phone jack, and ran it along the wall hidden beneath the cover up tubing I bought at Home Depot, then up along the little shelf along the back of the sofa, then straight up to about 3" to the left of the entry door. That way I can see it from the galley, living area and in a pinch from the front chairs.

If brightness is an issue with guests sleeping out in the living area, I can just unplug it from the phone jack up front for the night then.

Very happy with my finished product. Now if I can get my puppy pen storage/transport issue behind me, I'll be almost set for Colorado in a couple of weeks!!

Tags
power