Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A 1500 watt heater running full time for 12 hours, uses 18 KWH. If power is 12 cents a KWH it comes to $2.16. Yet many CG will charge you $2-$3 extra for 50 amp. If you pay for it, why can't you use it?
In many RVs if you ran the heater continuously, the wiring would melt!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #16

Any rule or law has to be enforceable. Seems to me knowing someone is using an electric heater would be pretty difficult. Where I live, a CG wouldn't be in business very long prohibiting air conditioners.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
And how would they know anyway?
They simply need to raise there rates to cover electrical use.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I was a business owner for over 30 years and I realize that the CG owner may have reasons that are not known to me and I will obey his/her rules. If they notify me upon arrival of any rules that I don't agree with then I have the right to get back in my MH and leave the campground. Once I have been notified and agree to their rules by paying their fee then I have NO RIGHT to do anything except to obey the rules. They own the campground and they have the right to restrict use of anything in the camp, it is their right as a business owner and I respect that right. I also expect them to respect my right to leave the campground and find another one that allows me to run whatever equipment I want to.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I guess I must be in the minority. If I rent services at an rv park and they say something is not included, then I either accept the rules or do not stay there. A business owner who declares openly (in writing) that they do not allow electric heaters has just reserved the right to ask me to leave if I do not abide by those rules. If the rules say leash your dog, I leash it. If the rules say no campfires, I do not try to burn a campfire. If the rules say no electric heaters, I do not use them.

We are beginning to see electric meters being put on all rv sites at some parks and have heard laundry room/pool scuttlebutt that there is some thought to requiring a deposit for electric use, even for transients, although we have not seen that yet. Almost everywhere we stay monthly charges separately for electric. In some states the charge can only be what is allowed by the utility commission, in others whatever traffic will bear. We are heavy duty electric users, and feel we should pay our way.
I agree. Follow the rules you agreed upon or take you business elsewhere. Just like this website, we can choose to abide by the rules we agreed with at signup- or leave.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yep, if I pay for a full hook up site and its 50 amp, then i am to presume i can use the full 50 amps if i feel so inclined.
if they have a surcharge for me having two a/c units, i must be in the wrong cg.
If i cheap out and stay at a place that is that way.....

I have seen notes please asking to conserve power and help keep power stable during peak hours

but what about a 100% all electric rig? are you to declare no propane on board and get zinged for a bit of extra?

even if the site is 30 dollars a night for full hookups, you might use 6-10 bucks worth of power, but that would be in a high cost area

at home this summer, both rv a/cs and the the house a/c running, lots of laundry we averaged 6 dollars a day in power cost
this was with a house full of four adults, a grandchild and four dogs for two months straight
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsronco View Post
I have to agree with the previous posters, if I am a paying customer I will use my products plain and simple

When I signed my membership contract the sales type said "Full hookups" well, at the park I stay at the most in the winter it's only 30 amps. if I want 50 I have to pay more.. This is not what I was promised (When will I learn to wear a wire.... Well, after that.. But that's another story)

I feel I am entitled to FULL POWER and of course since I'm paying for it. I should get to use it.

I have only had one park manager tell me "If I catch you using an electric heater it's outta the park with you"

He got replaced. (and no, I had nothing to do with it. others did)
Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #22

We seldom, never that I remember, have pulled into a campground without calling ahead and making a reservation. Now we are able to look up the campground in Trailer Life, check it out on RVparksreview, and google the site before we make the call. If there are restrictions we know about them and try to honor the rules. I therefore would only be concerned if after researching a full hookup campground I were to pull in to receive a note restricting a service.
Once again, that it the idea of having an RV with wheels...if I don't like the place I just move on down the road. We have pulled through and out of a few campgrounds because what was advertized was not what you would get.
Enjoy, Happy New Years, and Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outside my RV = Park Rules
Inside my RV = My Rules
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If they handed me the note before I pay, then fine, I can accept it or leave. AFTER I paid, then it's too late. I paid for full hookups.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I pay for 50 amps, I expect 50 amps. That's why I bought a 50 amp coach. If the cg owner does not want me to use 50 amps then change the breakers and plugs to 20 amps and STOP ADVERTISING 50 AMPS and we will never meet.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #26

If I run my heat pump am I in violation? How about if I turn my engine heater on the night before I leave on a chilly morning? What if I keep a pot of coffee on all the time or my crock-pot? Will they in the future regulate how many hours I can watch TV? I'm sorry, full hook-ups means just that. Am I supposed to burn candles? It does take electricity to charge my batteries. I'm not ranting.....I'm just saying.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #27

We're staying in a CG outside Manvel, Tx. I found this CG on line and they even call themselves a Resort. Monthly rate was listed as $275 plus electric. So we pulled up and they said because I have a BIG RV I would use too much electric power and I had to pay $350 a month plus electric at 18c a Kw. (each site is metered) I argued that if I'm paying for the electric why do I have to pay extra? But to no avail. We're leaving next week and will find another park in the area when we are back in this area in Febuary. I will be sure and let them know why I'm not returing to their very nice RV Resort. $75 isn't going to kill me but it's just the way they did it.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #28

This summer we stayed at a private campground that charged $2.00/day extra for using an air conditioner. That was in addition to the $30/day site fee. Fortunately, it was fairly cool the four days we were there, so we didn't need the a/c. We had made the reservations well in advance, but I don't remember whether we were told in advance about the extra fee or not. I just checked their website, and the home page says $30.00 night every night all season long. On the reservation page it shows $2.00 per night additional fee for a/c.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote