Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #85

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrantz View Post
Yes, I had read your post and it was correct; I didn't disagree with it.

My point was that if you burn a certain amount of fuel to heat an area, it is more efficient to burn it at that location rather than burn it somewhere else, convert it to electricity, transmit it, and convert it back to heat.

Perhaps I missed your point, but it is hard to compare electric heat to propane heat without considering fuel costs and transmission/transportation.

I suspect most of us use electric heat because it is included in our site costs, whereas we must buy our own propane.
I pay for the electric that is part of the site cost with the same real money that I use to purchase my propane. I pay for the electric whether I use it or not. The cost of the site is not reduced on nice weather days when no one is using either A/Cs or heaters. Then they want to restrict you from using the electric that you've already paid for when you need to use those appliances. Somebody needs to get real. But, I don't do business with those shyster places.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #86

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was up in main last year and had the same issue about no electric heaters I asked why and they said after two camper fires caused from the electric heaters they don't allow them to be used but they let me use mine since on the way there I had a blow out and it took the heater with it

Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #87

Thor Owners Club
Charging for electricity is common at many marina's. I think what might irratate people is that CG are not up front with their restrictions and demands. If a CG doesnt want you to use a electric heater, be up front and put in your web page. I don't like being part of nanny world were folks with a little authority make rules and demands to protect us from ourselves. And personally I won,t stay in a CG where somebody tells me I can't heat my RV using my heater, which has been used countless times previously.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not read the whole thread, but I'll bet these campgrounds have poor electrical systems. Probably not so much the cost, but more a concearn that they can't keep the lights on.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #89

Like it or not small Electric heaters are very innefficient and us a great deal of power, they also put a large load on the breaker and can cause breakers to overheat and trip.

I have had to ban them in my office because they are a hazard, they blow the fuses, and they cost a bundle, not just a little but a great deal.

In a Motorhome if you use them to heat the inside of the coach you run the risk of the basement not getting enough heat and your water lines freezing.

If you must have additional heaters use the oil filled types, they are much safer and economic.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #90

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
Like it or not small Electric heaters are very innefficient and us a great deal of power, they also put a large load on the breaker and can cause breakers to overheat and trip
If you must have additional heaters use the oil filled types, they are much safer and economic.
Electric heat is 100% efficient, and the oil filled are no more efficient per watt than their glowing blower equipped brothers. Facts are facts.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Reading the reviews it appears that oil filled heaters take longer to heat a room as they rely on convection to move the heat around the room. The reviews also noted they take 20 to 30 minutes longer to heat the same room as a fan forced air portable heater. The cost trade off is not paying for the electricity required to run the fan.

Could end up about 50/50 when you consider all factors.

Oil Filled Portable Heaters | Heating and Cooling HQ

Are Portable Heaters Energy Efficient? | Portable Heating and Cooling | Heating and Cooling HQ
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #92

I use electric heaters after I turn in because they are QUIET. I installed an elaborate series of baffles and sound absorber in the furnace cabinet but there's really no way to fix a design that essentially puts the furnace in a speaker cabinet.

During the day, and just before bed I use the furnace to really warm the place up, and then a little cube heater on the bathroom floor and another on the dining table are sufficient to keep the place cozy without waking me up every 10 minutes.

If new A/C units weren't so expensive I'd get one with a heat pump and booster strips.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I use electric heaters after I turn in because they are QUIET. I installed an elaborate series of baffles and sound absorber in the furnace cabinet but there's really no way to fix a design that essentially puts the furnace in a speaker cabinet.

During the day, and just before bed I use the furnace to really warm the place up, and then a little cube heater on the bathroom floor and another on the dining table are sufficient to keep the place cozy without waking me up every 10 minutes.

If new A/C units weren't so expensive I'd get one with a heat pump and booster strips.

Well taken and well written. The speaker cabinet that emits heat! Don't judge heat pumps too quickly, if you don't like noise then you won't like most of them...and you can't aim them either.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #94

I guess I see both sides of this argument. I was watching a TV show last night called restaraunt recovery and they were going through the books of a failing restaraunt. They found that the cafe was loosing 18,000 $ per year on coffee alone. That did not include paying the waitress her time or water and elecrticity charges to brew it. They doubled the price of coffee making it $2.60 a cup just to break even. Most places I go now charge 3.95 for a cup of coffee. Now I know why.

I am a member of a campground that I go to often. I paid 3000$ to join and 380$ a year in dues. When I stay they charge 2.00$ a night. I figure that in electricity alone in winter I use 2.00 a night running the electric fireplaces to stay warm. In the summer I use that much running the air. These places have to make a profit or they close down... that's a simple fact and if power goes up they have to charge more for it. I'm all for putting a meter on the sites. That way we ALL pay for exactly for what we use. Not some of us using electricity all night while others refuse to pay for what they use and are outraged by it.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #95

Sounds like a nice place. How much per day does that work out to?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
If the campground owner sets unrealistic rules, then I dont have to patronize his establishment. His place His rules. My choice to stay and obey or leave. Who says he owes me or you anything other than what he sets as his rental. You agree, You pay. Period. Just my opinion
Old 01-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #97

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I don't know of any heat pump that you can get with or install heat strips in. It's either a heat pump or air con with heating strips. I've had air cons with heat strips, would never depend on them for anything but taking the chilol off.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #98

Almost all of the parks I've stayed in charge one price for 30A service and another for 50. They usually charge a day less on a weekly based stay. For a month it is even less. If I am paying for 50A and am told A/C is more or using heaters is more, then it is up to me to accept that rule. I can vote with my vehicle. If I not told then I assume I can use all I paid for, i.e. 50A service on two legs, so 12000 W. I was not told in a campground in Mass. until the owner came round and said A/C would be $2 more a day. I told him no thanks, left even though we had a weeks reservation. I then reversed charged my credit card for his charge of $2 and never heard anything else about it. Will not return to that CG in the future.

Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote