Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've noticed that a lot of CG's now hand you notices when you check in, prohibiting the use of electric heaters. I can only assume its to conserve on their winter electric bills.

What do you do in such a CG? Run them anyway or use your on-board furnace / heating system?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Craig P.,
I'd say the owner/manager of that CG is an idiot and way behind the times. This can not be managed and is offensive to customers.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #3

It would make sense if the CG had only 20 AMP service, but most CGs now have 30 and or 50 AMP service. In that case the owner/manager is trying to save on expenses. I've also seen no "air conditioners" in some old CGs.
wazone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We run them anyway. We had one camp ground in TX that charged us an additional $25 for 50 amp & $25 for having 2 a/c units. This was in the winter months when the a/c was not being used. We were not concerned with using our electric heaters even though they gave us a notice not to.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #5

This is becoming more common as RV park owners struggle to survive. There is a movement afoot to place electric meters on every site, even for overnight stays. Sounds like they are learning from KOA.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The campground is trying to reduce it's electric bill.. Personally. I do what I have to do and it will be Feburary at the earliest before I can get the furnace to furnace again.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This is just another way to intimidate the customer into helping the RV park owner to save their money not yours.

I pay for my site when I check in which is a FULL Hookup site. That includes electricity in most cases. If I happen to be staying a month, some sites require a monthly electric allotment. if they THINK that I am going to manage my electricity when I am paying extravagant prices for their daily, weekly or month rate, they have got to be kidding.

I ignore them and do what is best to keep warm or cool. If they don't like it then I can take my business elsewhere.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #8

I have to agree with the previous posters, if I am a paying customer I will use my products plain and simple
Tsronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #9

I guess I must be in the minority. If I rent services at an rv park and they say something is not included, then I either accept the rules or do not stay there. A business owner who declares openly (in writing) that they do not allow electric heaters has just reserved the right to ask me to leave if I do not abide by those rules. If the rules say leash your dog, I leash it. If the rules say no campfires, I do not try to burn a campfire. If the rules say no electric heaters, I do not use them.

We are beginning to see electric meters being put on all rv sites at some parks and have heard laundry room/pool scuttlebutt that there is some thought to requiring a deposit for electric use, even for transients, although we have not seen that yet. Almost everywhere we stay monthly charges separately for electric. In some states the charge can only be what is allowed by the utility commission, in others whatever traffic will bear. We are heavy duty electric users, and feel we should pay our way.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Somebody explain to me what I'm missing here. I'm paying the campground owner's asking rate for a 50 amp transient (not monthly or seasonal) site which provides me with 12000 watts of capacity (120VAC x 50 amps x 2 legs), yet I'm being told that I'm not allowed to use up to the full 12000 watts however I wish???

Frankly, I don't get it.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One surly CG owner wanted exta for an A/C one time. I had asked if I could run it for an hour just to cool down the coach after the long drive. Didn't matter if it was one minute, the fee still applies... so I ran two ceramic heaters all night in one of the bays, just to make sure I got my moneys worth, plus the A/C fan in the camper, as it was cool enough to sleep but too warm for heat.

I personally don't like to have to pay extra for anything as it should be included without saying. A motel doesn't charge you for using the A/C or heat. It's part of basic comfort with a camper. I note it in my log and, if I'm in the area again, I try to find another campground to do my business with. I figure that, if they charge al la carte then they don't want me back.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'm of mixed emotions on this issue. I rather strongly feel that when I pay for a 50A or 30A site, I am entitled to use the 50A or 30A however I see fit. If you tell me I have 50A and charge me for it, but effectively allow me to use only 15A-20A (about all I can draw if no a/c or no heat), what did I pay for?

But in general I feel that the CG owner can set the rules anyway he likes and expect me to conform. I can take my business elsewhere if I don't like it. And I do.

All that said, I would use the electric heat for a modest bit of warming, like taking the chill off in the a.m., but would use the furnace if it were a cold night and we needed heat all night.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Somebody explain to me what I'm missing here. I'm paying the campground owner's asking rate for a 50 amp transient (not monthly or seasonal) site which provides me with 12000 watts of capacity (120VAC x 50 amps x 2 legs), yet I'm being told that I'm not allowed to use up to the full 12000 watts however I wish???

Frankly, I don't get it.

Rusty
No matter whether it is reasonable or not, IMO, a business owner has every right to put whatever restrictions they want on services. If a cg, for instance says no dogs allowed, then no dogs are allowed. We are renting services. If that service is somehow restricted then our choice is to not rent there.

Last summer we parked next to a person who complained all day that the cg wifi was slow - ours was just fine. Turns out that he had exceeded the daily allotment for usage set by the cg and he was throttled. He screamed the same argument - that he paid for service and would use whatever he wanted, etc, etc. and was still screaming on his way to the office. An hour or so later a sheriff's deputy watched him pack and followed him out.

To me it is the same thing. The business owner does not wish to rent electricity to run heaters. To me, his business, his rules. Others may disagree.
Happy New Year.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they rent me the space I will do or run what I want in my RV. Thats just the way it is. If you don't want air conditioners of heaters, turn the place into storage lockers and get on with your life.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote