Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #15

KIX

Good explanation and it makes sense to me.

This would imply it is NOT ILLEGAL to drive with imbedded DOT approved propane tanks open vs the "Cylinder" definition you described. At least this is my take on this issue.

However it is clear that many tunnels say "No Propane tanks" period, this is a different issue and would imply to me that propane powered vehicles cannot drive in the posted tunnels either.

There is a push by some environmentalists to increase the number of propane powered vehicles that leave a smaller carbon footprint. Not certain how that is going with all the electric cars coming out. Perhaps we might see a propane, natural gas or even hydrogen/electric hybrid car sometime,

So I think the OPs question is answered, many, if not most of us travel in a MH with the propane on and it is legal to do unless there are specific places that specify otherwise, such as on ferries.

At least this is my interpretation and understanding but I have been wrong before and if I see some statute that contradicts this I am willing to revisit my position.

Good discussion

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
KIX

Libero, I think you got it. I agree....a good discussion

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pennsylvania limits the size of of propane tanks that can be taken through tunnels to 119 gallons or less. My tank is 14 gallons.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Propane tanks on TTs

So its been established that permanently mounted propane tanks are ok. But my TT has the 2 30# cylinders on the front. These are not ok?
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Pennsylvania limits the size of of propane tanks that can be taken through tunnels to 119 gallons or less. My tank is 14 gallons.
Good to know, I have not seen an RV with a propane tank > 100 Gal. I have been through the PA Tpk tunnels many times during the past 50+ years with an RV and don't recall any signs, but perhaps I did not see them or just can't remember.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
So its been established that permanently mounted propane tanks are ok. But my TT has the 2 30# cylinders on the front. These are not ok?
My take is the tanks are OK, but in NJ for example, the valves must be closed on "propane cylinders" while on the hwy. Many other jurisdictions don't seem to have this law. This is my understanding but I am no expert on this matter.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Again this is one of those, "Lawyer Things." These are laws passed to protect states from law suits. Years ago almost everybody filled their gas tanks with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. Remember how cool that was (not)??? What about the cylinder tanks (oxygen & propane) that travel down the road??? Knock one of those over and boom. Yes they are chained down but in an accident now what??? You'd be hard pressed to ignite gas fumes with a small flame up in the fridge. Where's common sense gone these days?? How many times have you seen a, "Flammable" sign in a hospital room when an oxygen tank is present??? Oxygen IS NOT FLAMMABLE. Yes it accelerates a flame but it is not flammable.

TeJay
Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #22
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
I can find no reference to your question in NFPA #58. RVIA adopted NFPA #1192 which is where the answer likely is but I do not have a copy of that one. My guess......purely a guess, is that unless otherwise prohibited (like New Jersey) it is permissible. My rationale is that DOT cylinders produced since the 1990's have required an excess flow valve like the ASME/DOT tanks. So, theoretically, they would be equally as safe regardless of valve open or closed.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #23
KIX

Quote:
.........You'd be hard pressed to ignite gas fumes with a small flame up in the fridge................
The heat produced by the refer burner creates a chimney effect drawing air in the lower access and out the higher vent. I would have to strongly disagree with your statement. Propane will ignite is a concentration as low as 2% in air. Would you want to guess when that concentration would be reached?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #24

Not to hijack but......what does this mean?
"State Driving Laws: Wipers on/headlights on."
LOL
It does not specify in the rain, wiper blade sales in NJ must be awesome.
Sorry I couldn't resist.
Cheers
Rick T.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #25

Our previous trailer was a pain, we could not switch the antique frig over to electric easily so left the gas on. We had to shut the propane off at the bottle when on ferries, and relight at the campground. We only use gas for the stove, furnace when needed and hot water now so it is not an issue. No regs we are aware of about shutting off when driving, we are supposed to shut off when refueling but the gas supply and appliances are far enough away on the fiver for it not to be an issue.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
In BC, Propane has to be shut off on all ferry crossings.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have traveled in the RV in 40 States in the last 8 years and only had to turn the propane off one time. They stopped us before we crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and watched as we turned the tank off.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
In BC, Propane has to be shut off on all ferry crossings.
Agree 100%

I have been on a lot of ferries with an RV from coast to coast, including BC ferries and the ferries to NFLD, NS (Across the bay of Fundy), to/from PEI and across the English Channel plus across various great lakes crossings, and from my recollection, all the ferries I have seen where the vehicle is transported inside, mandated propane tanks be shut off before boarding and not turned on until the vehicle has disembarked. This applies to all propane tank types as far as I know and it has been the rule for a very long time,

Some open deck ferries I have been on did not direct propane tanks to be turned off.

Some bridge/tunnels also require a propane shutdown.

Tags
propane