Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #1

Propane

read in the monaco owners manual that some states require you to turn off all propane while driving (new to me) anyone heard of this? Also need to turn off propane when fueling this certainly makes sense but I have to admit I haven't been doing that my propane is on when travelling due to the refrigerator. Am I the only one?

Jim

jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #2

Short and simple....no. Propane is running the entire time we are on the move. I am sure it is a precautionary measure to turn it off at the pumps however I have never witnessed anyone doing so.

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I turn ours off when filling the tank but not when traveling down the road. That would defeat the purpose of having the gas option on your refrigerator. We don't have that refrigerator anymore, but I still don't turn the gas off.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know of any hwys that you have to turn off your propane but I believe that some tunnels require you to before you enter. I thought this was the case many years ago when I went thru the Zion NP tunnel but I googled it and couldn't find anything. I was towing a boat with a pickup and they closed off the tunnel in the opposite direction and told me to drive down the centerline, so this isn't your normal hwy tunnel.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
KIX

Turn propane tank off when driving? If your vehicle was fueled by propane how could you drive with the tank off?
Turn propane tank off while fueling? The reason is so that there are no open flames to ignite a gasoline spill. You wold be better served to turn all gas burning appliances off while near gasoline pumps. Turning the tank off does not extinguish flames for up to several minutes. Turning the appliance off extinguishes the flame immediately.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yes you are supposed to turn off propane before driving ...... but does anyone really do it? Most no but yes we do. Propane gets turned OFF before driving. We are actually slowly turning the coach into an all electric one so that we won't have to worry about it.

http://camping.about.com/od/rvdrivin...y-and-Tips.htm
http://www.rvdoctor.com/2010/12/prop...rv-oh-boy.html
http://www.rvquicktips.com/2012/01/c...ne-system.html
Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I don't know of any hwys that you have to turn off your propane but I believe that some tunnels require you to before you enter. I thought this was the case many years ago when I went thru the Zion NP tunnel but I googled it and couldn't find anything. I was towing a boat with a pickup and they closed off the tunnel in the opposite direction and told me to drive down the centerline, so this isn't your normal hwy tunnel.
Yes having to shut your propane off while travelling in your propane powered car would be problematic. But some tunnels do prohibit carrying propane tanks,
Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Yes you are supposed to turn off propane before driving ...... but does anyone really do it? Most no but yes we do. Propane gets turned OFF before driving. We are actually slowly turning the coach into an all electric one so that we won't have to worry about it.
Why do you turn the propane off at the tank when driving?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Where is this mandated?

See my comment about propane powered cars. My propane is on when I roll and off when I refill propane. Propane appliances are off when I refuel with gas.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here is one that has it listed that the propane must be off. Some just say off on all bridges or tunnels or both or ... We find it best to be safe and just turn it off and this way I don't have to remember the law for whatever state we going into next. Of course this is from 2010 and the laws may have changed but why take the chance.

NEW JERSEY:
Maximum RV width 96 in. (102 in. on certain federal roads); maximum motorhome length 40 ft.; maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum combined length 62 ft. Riding is not allowed in truck campers or trailers.
RV Safety Requirements: Trailers over 3,000 lbs.: trailer brakes, breakaway switch, chains and safety glass.
State Driving Laws: Wipers on/headlights on. Right turn on red is allowed, unless posted otherwise. Seat belts required. At least two riders in carpool lane. Open propane cylinders are not allowed while traveling on open highways. New Jersey Turnpike: Motorhome may tow vehicle as long as all four wheels are on the ground; no tow dollies or piggybacks. Garden State Parkway: Motorhome may tow another vehicle with tow bar, safety chains and emergency tail lights on both vehicles.
More Information: Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Commission, CN-174, Trenton NJ 08666;

2010 Driving Laws for the US and Canada
Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
KIX

Back to the OP's question. Leave the propane tank on when traveling and you won't be even close to being alone. That is assuming your propane tank is a permanently mounted tank and not a DOT cylinder that can be removed to refill.

Propane appliances produce a flame and some produce an ignition spark. So, turn all propane appliances off when in proximity to a service station and/or propane refueling. That is more important than turning the tank off.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #12

PirateSilly

Thanks for the reference, but from what I can see, for some of those laws, at least the ones I read refer to "open propane cylinders".

MH propane tanks are usually imbedded, as are propane powered vehicles. Statistics say there are approximately 13 million propane powered motor vehicles in operation. Hmmm how are these operating legally, I really do not know the answer but there are a lot of propane powered vehicles around.

These vehicles are approved to operate on public roads, Go figure. There seems to be a conflict if one interprets that "all" propane tanks must be shut off while travelling.

Just an interesting observation.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
KIX

NEW JERSEY:.....................Open propane cylinders are not allowed while traveling on open highways. .................

The problem here seems to be the definition of "cylinder". New Jersey adopts propane regulations as written by NFPA #58 and #54. NFPA #58 defines "cylinder" as a portable container built to DOT specs. The most common cylinder is a 20# propane container used on BBQ grills. A DOT spec cylinder by definition is portable and is not to be permanently mounted on a vehicle. A permanently mounted container is made to both ASME and DOT specs and can be permanently mounted to a vehicle.
Maybe this will clear it up.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turning the propane off while refueling could be very dangerous. If you turn off the propane tank, but forget to turn off the frig or water heater you have created a possible bomb. As gas fume flow around during fueling you would have a device (frig or water heater) trying to light and shooting out sparks. Shut off the propane devices not the tank.

Glenn

Tags
propane