Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Propane Advice

Just wanted to share a little piece of advice I learned from my dad years ago. Most RVs have 2 propane tanks on them and come with an "automatic mixer valve". I never turn both tanks on at the same time. That way, if you dont monitor it quite as closely as you should, even if you run out, you still have the other tank to use. You might even wake up cold one morning but at least you can just turn the other tank on and get your heat cranking, rather than having to figure out where and when to get them filled. It has saved me many times and I always make sure to fill the empty tank that day! This is probably more for transients like myself than Full Timers but I just wanted to pass it on to everybody!
charlie.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our propane tanks have level gauge so that you can monitor the levels. I operate from one tank with the other valved off until I am well under 1/4 tank. I then turn on the back up tank and when the first tank is empty and it switches to the back up tank, I shut off the empty, switch the transfer valve to the new tank and get the empty refilled.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

I use one tank at a time. They always empty during the night. I had a automatic valve fail once, that won't happen again.
PS. What king of level do you have on your tanks?
haulinhazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

It is my understanding that you should turn on both tanks, but only one supplies gas. When it is empty, the supply is routed to the full tank. Am I mistaken?
wthibeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthibeaux View Post
It is my understanding that you should turn on both tanks, but only one supplies gas. When it is empty, the supply is routed to the full tank. Am I mistaken?
You are correct. What you have to do is monitor the tanks so you know when the first tank is empty so you can refill it.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #6

I forgot to mention in my previous post that my regulator will indicate which tank is "active".
wthibeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #7

Run both tanks turned on and let the automatic change over switch tanks. From experience i know about how long a tank will last and check the tanks accordly to see if red flag is showing. True on occasion a regulator will fail (mine did one time but only reduced amount of LP flow so had LP until could get a new regulator). first RV did not have an auto change over and kept one tank closed but with the auto change over there is no longer any need for that IMO.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #8

Both on, auto change is correct, unless he doesn't have autochange. If you use 30 gallon tanks or less you need to refill immediately if empty and below freezing as water vapor can and will form in tank and put water in your lines.

100 gallons and up are big enough that they don't form water vapor in tank even if empty and sitting.

If your tanks make weird bubbling noises, that be why. Mine don't, but I have explained this concept to many that do. It can bubble and make noise, but run everything fine for a long time, then suddenly nothing lp will work, you will have to blow out all your lines. That always happens in winter on the coldest of days as a lesson to refill your tanks right away when freezing temps. Lol
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

Commercial Member

what actually happens is as the temperatures get lower and your tanks are close to empty the rate of vaporization can't keep up with the demand. LP gas has a boiling point of -44 degrees, so at this temperature it will turn from a liquid to a vapor and is use in vapor form to run your appliances. So again as Lp levels and temperatures drop, the tanks will ice up and eventually lose their ability to vaporize the LP. Moral of the story is to keep your tanks as full as possible during cold weather. All tanks have to be purged before they can be filled for the first time this removes any water/contaminates from the tanks. It is also very important that once a tank closed and removed to be refilled that it remains closed until it is being refilled this will minimize the chances of getting contaminates into the tanks. I have never had any problems with any size tank during cold weather as long as the Lp level is kept up. That being said I haven't seen it all and like, Its Paid For, said if its going to go wrong it will do it on the coldest day of the year.
RangeCampMan is offline   Reply With Quote