Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Propane advice - Big Red Campfire

Our Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 has an external quick connect for propane to be supplied to external "appliances." This past week I decided I was tired of using the little bottles of propane to fire our Weber BBQ, and my wife decided she wanted a portable fire pit. As to the latter, we bought the Big Red Campfire from Camco.

BBQ - After removing the regulator from our Weber BBQ and then adding quick connect ports to that, I was able to fire it up on the first try. Nice steady flame, adjustable by the BBQ's built-in knob. Already grilled a ribeye steak on it, so I know the gas is flowing, at least enough to supply the BBQ.

Campfire - I took off the regulator and hose supplied with the Big Red Campfire, and had a local shop make a short hose with quick disconnect fittings. This allows me to use a quick connect hose with a shut off valve built in. I also had them make a 20 foot hose. I previously had purchased a 12 foot hose, so now I have a lot of options as to where I can place the campfire.

Here's where I ran into a little problem. After connecting the BRC to the propane port on the MS, I lit the campfire and found the flames to be pathetically small. I tried a number of set ups not involving the original regulator and hose, but nothing I did resulted in any significant amount of flames.

I then went out and purchased a small propane tank, and connected it to the BRC (original set up). Instantly, I had as much flame as I wanted.

Since the port is plumbed in after the regulator on at the tanks, I assume the port must be delivering good low pressure (11 wc). At least enough to run the BBQ. I'm guessing - but don't know - that the BRC regulator will likewise reduce pressure down to 11 wc or less. Perhaps its a flow issue from the port? Doesn't make sense to me, but that could be the case.

Any ideas as to where I went wrong with connecting the BRC to the supplied port on the MS?
NM.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The BRC is rated at 65,000 BTU. It will drain a 1# LP tank in about 30 minutes. I'd think you have a gas flow issue using the RV regulator. I looked online, but could not find a WC rating for the unit, but maybe that's one of the reasons it's not UL or CSA approved. Increasing the WC at the regulator would then cause issues for all the other propane appliances in the RV. One solution might be to install a tap to the RV LP tank before the regulator, then use the Camco regulator in the supply line to the campfire.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #3

More than likely your quick disconnect has the correct pressure at rest, BUT your BRC has a higher demand than what can be supplied where the current connection is. It is possible that you may put a larger volume regulator on the RV for it to work better.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #4

Thanks, BFlinn181 and MnTom.

Your comments are in line with what I've been thinking. However, I'm hesitant to change the existing house regulator, as it has been serving well for the oven, stove, heater, water heater and generator. I thought about tapping into the high pressure side (before the regulator) by adding some sort of "T", but ultimately decided to give up and buy the five gallon tank. It gets the job done, but I'm guessing it will be a pain to deal with over time.

Another suggestion I received from someone locally is to install an extend-a-stay, which would go in just before the regulator. Effectively, the same as installing a T in the line. When I want to use the campfire, I'll have to run the 20 foot hose from the extend-a-stay under the belly of the 5r and over to where I want to use the campfire. It's something to think about, but for now, I'll use the extra propane tank and put up with toting it around.

Regards,
NM.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

We haul 2 tanks around - a 5 gallon for the fire pit and a 2 1/2 for the grill. It's a bit of a pain and extra weight, but everything works and we have no long hose to create a trip hazard. Additionally, we'll never run out of propane for our furnace or stove/oven because we had a camp fire or grilled dinner.

Happy trails,
Old 01-29-2018, 04:07 AM   #6

I had a similar problem with my fire pit. The gas flow returned to normal when I replaced the regulator at our tanks. There had been gas, just not enough of it for a good fire. The issue came to light when the furnace refused to ignite. Now I carry a spare regulator (which my neighbor just borrowed for the same problem :-) )
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, fire, propane