Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Mike and Cha; At least here in western NY propane is the cheapest way to heat a home. Twenty years ago when I built this house and had my first fill up it was around $1.05gl. now it's $2.09gl. Over 20+ years that's a price increase not even keeping up with the rate of inflation. Around here what we have for Propane is actually what they call C-Tane. This is a by product of the natural gas pipelines in the area and to them it's considered a waste product then need to get rid of, thus the low price for us.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #30

Everyone is saying it should be this way or that way. as far as filling the MH off the truck the hose for the truck does not fit in all cargo bays to fill them. Also rules and regulations are not the same in all states. Some it is against the rules to fill a MH. As far as not having someone to fill a MH if that person is not certified they can't do it. They can pay some big fines for breaking the rules. As far as RV parks charging more they do it as a convenience to you. with the cost of the tank and someone to do fills they are not making a lot of money on it. If someone from a propane company want to do it that is their choice and they take the risk of fines.
grandpadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpadon View Post
Everyone is saying it should be this way or that way. as far as filling the MH off the truck the hose for the truck does not fit in all cargo bays to fill them. Also rules and regulations are not the same in all states. Some it is against the rules to fill a MH. As far as not having someone to fill a MH if that person is not certified they can't do it. They can pay some big fines for breaking the rules. As far as RV parks charging more they do it as a convenience to you. with the cost of the tank and someone to do fills they are not making a lot of money on it. If someone from a propane company want to do it that is their choice and they take the risk of fines.
Huh?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #32

I think that there is some confusion as to whether this is about the 30 pound tanks and the motor fuel tank.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I ran into one guy who couldn't figure out how to fill mine last January. I kept telling him he was using the wrong fitting, but he knew more than I did. I left and drove to Tractor Supply Store nearby and a very knowledgeable young lady (everyone is young to me these days!) promptly and safely fill my coach tank with no muss no fuss. She knew what she was doing. I guess there will always be a Bubba no matter where you shop.
I think I stopped @ your place today with Mr Know it all.

Him, "Please exit your MH every living thing has to be out of the MH everything turned off" you can wait inside
Have you had this tank inspected?

Me, AH I'll stay here No I've been havening it filled about 10 times in the last 4 years and your the first to ask.

Him, I'm not sure if I can fill it then,

Me, really

Me, The place down the street has filled it 7 of those times,

Him, Sorry I can't fill it. The Nozzle is wrong for your tank maybe because it's old but in nice shape

Me, Thanks goodby,

Him, Say your trailer hitch is only rated for 100 lbs

Me, as I am driving away Ah no its rated for 300 lbs and the karkaddy is rated n at 100 lbs

So I drive 2 blocks to the place that has filled it 7 times so far, and the guy that always fills it looks at me and gets into a Co Van and leaves. The 2 guys that tried to fill it had no luck

GIVE ME A BREAK, I'll try again tomorrow

I can't tell ya about my experience with the MH @ the gas station just after this mishap
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
$2.40/gal being delivered to my house next week. They will top off my MH if I need it. Last time I filled at an RV park in DFW last summer it was $3.25. My understanding is prices in the North Texas area have dropped 20 cents in the past 4 months.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #35

Texas Tom I'm south of you I use bob blasé propane I tell him no hurry I don't have to be home a little over $2.00 pay on the phone just a thought
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #36

Just topped mine off this morning. 24 gals. @ $3.70/gal.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #37

$2.09 here in Olympia, WA for 21 gallons yesterday at local ACE Hardware.
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #38

Last week here in NW Arkansas, at home was $2.19 a gallon. Filled up the mh at a local gas station/propane company a couple months ago but don't remember the price. (It wasn't bad though) But we get "real" gasoline there for the winter storage of the mh... (regular grade) No problems ever filling up the propane on our 20 yr old rv...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Galpin Ford, Prescott, AZ $1.90 per gallon. RV dealer across the street from Ford is at $2.00 per gal.

Glenn
Old 11-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Bummer - all electric.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Made it out to pflugerville propane today, it was $3.00 gal, just down the street from uhaul which was $3.99.

Is it normal for them not to fill it up all the way? They filled it less than 3/4, did not notice till I got it home. It was a little cool today 40 or 50 degrees, maybe for expansion when it warms up, I know they have filled it fuller before.
I don't use much propane consistently. Furnace heat when the temps are below mid-30s, reefer when we're on the highway, and supplement the electric hot water when we know we're going to be using some. I buy it wherever I am when I need it. Last week I paid $3.49/g at Camping World in Harrisburg, PA.

charliej-- propane tanks have an auto stop nominally set at about 80% capacity. I believe that's a federal requirement. This is to ensure the tank always has adequate expansion room. Most of the propane in the tank is liquid, particularly when nearly full, but there's always a certain gaseous area of evaporated propane at the top. This will expand and contract with temp changes, hence the 80% cutoff.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:14 AM   #42

Thanks JFXG
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane