Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Propane Cost

Just had the tank on our MH topped off, I have it done every fall when the house tank is filled for the winter. Cost was $2.09 a gl. Of course that was the bulk cost, being as the delivery truck had just dumped 370 gl in the house tank. Sure works out good having the propane delivered to me.

2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
$2.15 gal here in Central Texas today. 150 gal total... house and MH.

'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
I have a 500 gallon house tank and one time when the local company was out filling the tank, I asked them to fill the MH. They said they couldn't as required a different fitting?? But you can take your coach to their place of business to fill (from their huge bulk tanks) and they charge over double the bulk delivery rate (I prepaid at $1.80 g). Think this is a shame and I'm probably getting screwed!! Does my 500 gallon tank really required a different nozzle fitting than the motorhome?? I'm in a smaller rural town and don't really have a lot of choices.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
I was at a Uhaul in pflugerville,tx last weekend, and they were charging $3.99 gal. I plan on getting the MH topped off in the next few days, probably 10 to 15 gallons. Does that sound high considering no volume discount? Will try pflugerville propane and see if they are cheaper.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
My home propane is $1.649 a gallon this year (pre-buy), but if I get propane for my truck (supplementing the diesel) the price is close to $4 a gallon PLUS road tax. That does not make sense to me since it is the exact same....
Milehghcty, maybe the driver was thinking about the 30 pound tanks? Otherwise if you have a bulk tank on your motorhome they use the same fittings.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am not sure what it was per gal, but almost every time I have the MH filled it's around 40-45 bucks.
Now I went to a Uhaul place just down the street from them and they want $3.09 per gal. I'll know next time I get the tank filled.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Sounds like the bulk rate is fairly similar just probably different by how far the propane has to be shipped from factory. Also sounds like the small amount rate such as our motorhomes or he 20lb tank for your gas grill is also about the same ... well over $3 bucks! Other than a little more labor and perhaps some cost to set up to fill the small MH tanks, guess filling the smaller tanks are a money maker for the gas companies. Then again their may be costs associated with some excessive gov't regulations. MnTom ... guess I don't understand why a 30lb tank would make a difference. Thought about setting up my home 500g tank to transfer gas to the MH or gas grill tank, but probably isn't cost effective.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The guy that fills my 500 gal tank has filled the 24 gal tank on my MH several times and says he will fill the 20# tank on the grill if I need it. The previous service I had gave me that "it takes a different connection" story also. I didn't see the guy change anything when he went from the 500 to the 24 gal tank.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
The filler on the stationary tank and the mobile tank should be the same.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Those are some great prices.... Camping World here is $4.15 gal, local Chevron gas station in Kuna, ID $3.00 gal.
2016 Thor Tuscany 34ST XTE, Freightliner XCR, ISB 360hp/800tq. Allison 3000, Koni FSD shocks, Roadmaster 1.75" front sway bar, Safe-T-Plus, DYI air bag flow control valves.
2015 Jeep Willy's Wheeler Wrangler Unlimited Toad, Ready-Brute-Elite tow system.
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Guess that price is a good reason to avoid Camping World for propane. You'd think that they'd be the cheapest price as to attract customers that may come into their store. Once in the store, you might buy something that you really did or didn't need!!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Just paid $2.69 per gallon to fill up the tank for our home. Got 250 gallons. When I called the office and asked how much per gallon was, the person said that it was $2.99. Last year we paid $2.69 so I asked for a discount this year and she knocked 30 cents per gallon off. When I take the coach to get it filled at their facility prior to our next trip, they charge the same price as bulk if your a regular customer.
2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
Just out of curiosity, those of you who fill a stationary tank for use at your house, how long does that last you, for example the OP I think bought 370 gallons, does that last a year, or only get you thru the winter months. The reason I ask is we are looking at some vacation homes where they are on propane...Thanks
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
Check out places like Tractor Supply and Southern States or their equivalent. I just paid $2.30 per gallon to fill my motorhome at Tractor Supply. Not only that, but they fill BBQ grill tanks and only charge the gallons it took to top off the tank.

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote