Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Propane Delivery

We have always had our propane delivered to our motorhome but were just told by our supplier they could no longer do so. We have an on board tank which delivery trucks always filled. They said that the law prevents them from doing so and they had not been aware that law was in effect for at least the last two years. Have others been aware of this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #2

Where?

Could be local ordinance.....could be a state statue

But have not heard of any Federal Restriction

Ask your supplier for specific statue/law/restriction..........chapter/section.

Then post for others to read.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Not sure why it would be a law. My home propane dealer has no issue with filling up my motorhome. In fact it's on the delivery instructions that if the mh is in he driveway when they come to deliver to fill it also. I've seen the same company delivering to folks in the state park.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Some states and some campgrounds don't allow filling propane in an area that is not controlled and clear, similar to the way fuel is delivered to aircraft. By controlled it means no unnecessary people and no ignition sources. By clear, they mean if the rv getting filled blows up, how close is the next source of fuel, propagation. When was the last time you heard of an rv blowing up when being filled with propane? Actually, my buddy was inside his rv when it blew up. He got alot of burns and a new motorhome! I bet it cured his constipation! Way to go Gary! Amazing, since gasoline is also incredibly dangerous, yet we fuel our own cars, and some of us are really stoopid, but we're not dying wholesale. Thanks big government.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
interesting as i just ask my local propane company if they would fill my RV when they came out to do my tank next week. Was told they could not do that because the RV used a high pressure fill line instead of the lower pressure delivery of a House propane tank. I live in OKLA, so not sure what the state laws are but that is what i was told. Now i will have to drive to a Pilot station or find another source, but either way i am driving to get my propane fill.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Perhaps depends on location? We have it delivered by our propane supplier here in CO that provides it for home heating as well. They've been great in providing that service.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I do not know your location so I can not speculate as to the politics behind this so called law.
My location, through the winter, is in the Fraser Valley of B.C. Canada and we here have been plagued with beaucracy of an other kind as pertaining to the bottom dollar problem.
Here RV is almost a swear word as distributors think that all RV have only 20/30 lb. bottles and they do not want to be bother with the hassle of having to mess with filling these little bottles.
I have a 200 litre tank (53 gal US) and have been assigned to the third distributor due to the misunderstanding of somebody that is not well informed.
Once then delivery person comes and sees the size of the tank then it becomes a different story.
Sorry for your situation but I thought that I would share my problem just to let you know that RVing is in a category of its own.
By the way we are located only 2 1/2 hrs north of Seattle Wa.

Hope that gives you an insight into some other problems of living in a stationary MH and hope you can resolve you situation.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

In Texas he comes to my house
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
interesting as i just ask my local propane company if they would fill my RV when they came out to do my tank next week. Was told they could not do that because the RV used a high pressure fill line instead of the lower pressure delivery of a House propane tank. I live in OKLA, so not sure what the state laws are but that is what i was told. Now i will have to drive to a Pilot station or find another source, but either way i am driving to get my propane fill.
Your propane company is blowing BS

House propane tank.......MH propane tank
Other than physical size/capacity--------SAME

Same FILL (liquid).
Same components (Vapor/service valve, relief valve, gauge, liquid level etc)

Horsepucky
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Many RV parks have propane delivery by some company.
Yuma, Desert Hot Springs, etc.
I have had the coach filled in both states.

They do not fill 20/30 lb. bottles, with these trucks.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Propane delivery

Forgot my location; Springdale, Arkansas. Believe I'll try another supplier just to see what happens.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard this in some states, Not in others, Think it is a "Your Millage May Vary" issue (State to state) There is no logical reason for such a law but.. Since when are legislators logical?

But I have heard that explanation. I have my suspicions as to why said laws, assuming they are real, exist, but they are not firm enough to post.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #13

In north Georgia one dealer would deliver to only 100g or larger stationary tank; another dealer five miles down the road filled my MH tank from the truck at the propane dealership. In Alabama a dealer filled my MH tank in the parking lot of a truck repair shop.

One difference is that propane for household use may priced differently than propane for recreational or commercial use even when delivered by the same truck.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was given that high pressure, low pressure story by my previous propane company, but I switched propane service and the new company has no problem filling the motorhome tank.

Glenn

Tags
propane