Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #1

propane detector activated as I was getting gas

I had just got this rv and all the runing around back and forth to the dealer and tire store I burnt thrugh about a half of tank of gas.. Good news I am getting 11 mpg.. Anyways as I was filling up the gasoline tank ( not propane tank) the propane detector sounded its alarm. Hmmm. I am a Boater. We have blowers... I did not have any windows or doors open. However the vent above the kitchen was open.. But that would mean the fumes would have to go up to the roof then down the vent.. The dealer had mentioend when they were showing the systems in the RV that the propane detector is very sensitive and almost anything can set it off.. Must be if it picked up Gasoline... I filled the gasoline tank..After I reset the detector I opened windows doors etc and aired it out.. Is it normal for the Propane detector to activate when filling up with gasoline? ( Rule of thumb - 1 tsp of gasoline = 3 sticks of dynamite) due to vapors...

Oh it is a 2006 Fleetwood Jamboree 29v, Ford E450

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #2

my LP detector would go off with the presence of gasoline vapor. I found this out when the Onan gas filter on the genny developed a leak that I could not smell

Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

LP detectors are not at all discriminating. They will go off on most any hydrocarbon vapor, including raw gasoline, exhaust fumes, many aerosol sprays and even doggie farts.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bassoman,

Had the same thing happen to my 04 Jamboree. Had to replace the detector as it was defective. Would go off randomly. Look on-line or at Camping World and you will find replacements fairly cheaply. I think I paid like $35 for mine.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

After a few false alarms, I did some checking and found the detectors have a life of about 4 or 5 years. Mine was just that. The original sensor company was out of business, but a call to Winnebage gave me a line for the replacement plug-n-play detector. A rather inexpensive and real easy replacement gave me immediate peace of mind.
Happy Trails.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
LP detectors are not at all discriminating. They will go off on most any hydrocarbon vapor, including raw gasoline, exhaust fumes, many aerosol sprays and even doggie farts.
Gary, I have tried to blame it on the dog too, but it seldom works.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
On the subject of replacing LP detectors...I , too, must replace mine..The original company apparently went out of business..I ordered a new one that claimed to replace the CCI but when it arrived there was only 2 leads ( Red & Blk) not 2 red & one black -..the new alarm company said to cap off one red lead from the coach How will I be sure I am capping the correct one off? advice appreciated
Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #8

My favorite recliner is near the propane detector and I have discovered that they also detect methane gas.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdip View Post
On the subject of replacing LP detectors...I , too, must replace mine..The original company apparently went out of business..I ordered a new one that claimed to replace the CCI but when it arrived there was only 2 leads ( Red & Blk) not 2 red & one black -..the new alarm company said to cap off one red lead from the coach How will I be sure I am capping the correct one off? advice appreciated
Most LP detectors are wired to the house battery system. As least that is the way Winnebago does it and my friends Fleetwood is wired that way.

If you operate the house battery disconnect switch and put a voltmeter on each wire in turn, you should be able to identify the house battery lead and connect to it.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yo ! Thank you very much Clay L ..makes perfect sense I appreciate the info
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #11

dog fart detector...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
When I originally saw this post about the doggie farts it was pretty funny However. This weekend I took my first trip.. Yep me and my dog Popeye. At about 3:30 this morning as I was sleeping the Propane detector alarm went off.. Guess what!! the dog had his but about 3 inches from the propane detector and yes it did smell like dog fart.. So dog farts really set off the alarm..
Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Doggie gas....what a hoot!!!

ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, propane