Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Propane filter to remove oil

My LPG generator is being repaired due to excess oil in the liquid propane line.

After the repairs are made I want to install a propane inline filter to remove excess oil. I'm thinking of a Nash Filter.

Does anyone have experience using a propane inline filter to remove oil in the line?
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

I have one from Wal-Mart on a Big Buddy heater. Works great.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
My LPG generator is being repaired due to excess oil in the liquid propane line.

After the repairs are made I want to install a propane inline filter to remove excess oil. I'm thinking of a Nash Filter.

Propane is a solvent. The oil is disolved in the propane. Just like you can't filter disolved oil from gasoline, neither can you "filter" oil from liquid propane.

What you can, and should do, is trap the oil after it falls out of solution at the regulator. This assumes your generator is using propane gas and is not liquid fed.

The LP regulator removes the oil from the liquid propane when it reduces the pressure to 11" WC.

The oil contamination becomes a problem because there is no provision to remove the accumulated oil after extraction by the reguator.

The cure is to install a resevoir at the lowest point in the low pressure line just after the regulator. Periodical draining of the resevoir is required to remove the acumulated oil. A popular term for this device is drip leg or drop pipe.

If your regulators frequently are damaged by the oil, change the regulator brand. Most will pass oil safely if the oil is not alowed to accumulate.

Phil
PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to the 2 members that responded. I guess 15 years of oil accumulation finally did the regulator in.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOUZA View Post
Propane is a solvent. The oil is disolved in the propane. Just like you can't filter disolved oil from gasoline, neither can you "filter" oil from liquid propane.

What you can, and should do, is trap the oil after it falls out of solution at the regulator. This assumes your generator is using propane gas and is not liquid fed.

The LP regulator removes the oil from the liquid propane when it reduces the pressure to 11" WC.

The oil contamination becomes a problem because there is no provision to remove the accumulated oil after extraction by the reguator.

The cure is to install a resevoir at the lowest point in the low pressure line just after the regulator. Periodical draining of the resevoir is required to remove the acumulated oil. A popular term for this device is drip leg or drop pipe.

If your regulators frequently are damaged by the oil, change the regulator brand. Most will pass oil safely if the oil is not alowed to accumulate.

Phil

I don't think I've ever seen a permanent LP appliance without a drip-leg, it's in all installation instructions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

I don't think I've ever seen a permanent LP appliance without a drip-leg, it's in all installation instructions.
And yet oil contamination in RVs remains a mystery to most who are afflicted with it.

I have had my nose into a fair number of Recreation Vehicles and have yet to see a drip-leg, in the proper location, from the factory.

It seems to be good for some businesses, though.

Phil
Old 09-09-2017, 03:09 AM   #7
WDW

I don't believe we have one - or at least I've never found it. And i "though" I've been all over our rig, under and taking every access panel off to snoop.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:46 AM   #8

If it is a Onan propane generator, it is a liquid propane that leaves the tank and gets converted to gas right before the cylinders. Onan has a rebuild kit for the "regulator" which is rather simple to install. The most expensive part of the process is getting the generator out of the coach. I did not find any drip leg.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all. I looked for a drip-leg and didn't find one.

Buddy heaters sell what is described as a "oil filter". I searched propane oil filters and a company named Nash make various filters to remove oil from propane lines.

I was wondering if any members have installed a "oil filter".

Thanks again to all who responded.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:59 AM   #10

Charlie you haven't indicated which generator your coach has. On the Onan Marquis propane generator I was familiar with, it has a fuel filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Fuel Filter 6-32.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	175990  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry as I should have specified the generator. It is a Onan, HGJAB, LP, 6500, Gold.

It does have a oil drain on the generator itself. I must confess at age 74 and 240 plus I haven't done regular draining as much as I did in my younger years. You must open the unit up, crawl under and drain it. I'm looking for the lazy man's solution but after getting the bill for the service I now have incentive to drain it.

Thanks again to all.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
If it is a Onan propane generator, it is a liquid propane that leaves the tank and gets converted to gas right before the cylinders. Onan has a rebuild kit for the "regulator" which is rather simple to install. The most expensive part of the process is getting the generator out of the coach. I did not find any drip leg.

The attachment describes the purpose of the filter as removing solid particles, particularly ferrous materials. It also describes the propane gas generation well, (fuel vaporizer) and seems to be a scaled down version of what modern fork lift equipment uses.

The fork lift users have monumental repair expenses caused by oil contamination as well as excessive down time caused by sludge in the vapor generator. If there were an effective filter to remove the oil, they would use it. There is none.

This link can provide some interesting reading on propane contamination.

http://www.rasoenterprises.com/propa...pane-residuals

Phil
Old 09-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all for the input.

Tags
propane