Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Propane Furnace Exhaust Fumes Inside Coach

Iíve been looking to buy a 2015 Winniebago Vista 36Y. I live in Northern NJ and couldnít find one locally. I located one at Ray Wakleyís RV Center in North East, PA, some 6 hours away, and liked the unit very much when I saw it. While walking through it, I asked the salesman to turn on the furnace, and when he did, the coach filled with smoke, not so you couldnít see, but enough that we had to turn on the fan and open the windows.

The salesman immediately called their top service guy in, he didnít think it was a big deal, and said new coaches often had coating that had to ďburnĒ off, and as part of their setup, they run all appliances for 6 to 8 hours. It wouldnít be a problem and they would fix it.

The salesman offered that the rig had been on the lot for over a year, and maybe an insect had nested in the exhaust. Itís a 2015 but the MH is new.

Do these explanations sound logical? When he first turned the furnace on, I went outside to feel the exhaust, to see if was getting hot and it was, and the exhaust felt forceful. So Iím not so sure about the insect nest theory. As to coatings needing to be burned off, has anyone ever heard of this. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should unburned coatings be filling the inside of the coach?

The generator was also running really rough, itís an Onan 5500. Iím figuring stale gas, but could the carb be gummed up after a year of not running much and Iím sure no Stabil added.

I like everything else about the rig, the price is right, and I had a really hard time finding a 2015 close by. I put a deposit down, and the dealer is assuring me all will be made right. But I certainly donít want to be in a coach with propane fumes and would like some advice as how to proceed.

Thanks.. Paul

Paul James is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #2
Yup, sounds about right. Ever get a funky smell when starting furnace in your s&b in fall? Just dirt, preservatives on burner cans and the such. Should go away after a few hours of running.

Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:08 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easy fix. Furnace has a oil coating on it that burns off when first ran.
Generator carb needs a little cleaning. Make sure all is right before you leave the dealer.
2012 Tiffin 34 TGA Allegro Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ,Blue Ox Tow Bar, RVI 2 Brake, Tiger Trek, Safe-T-Plus
FMCA - Good Sam - Tiffin Allegro Club
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #4
We just bought a Coachmen from them. We've shopped 6 or 8 other dealers and found Ray's team to be honest and straightforward.

We deliberately walked away from two huge Buffalo / national dealers and chose to shop here because it's personal with them. Truly a family business with small town values.

The tech was probably Aaron or Tim. I trust both of them. Both are solid techs. Both have served our coach. We had a number of upgrades done prior to PDI. At PDI everything was perfect. In the month since, we found 2 small issues both of which they took care of within 3 days. We live about 75 miles from their shop.

The issues you cited are not surprising and any new furnace has a burn off period.

Oh, and I'm not related or fake. You can see our very nice Greyhawk on their lot. We're just raving fans because all other dealers in WNY are in 3rd place in our book. Only Wilkins would be our second choice to shop.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH
Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
That's good to hear

@WDW I've heard lots of good things about Ray Wakley's dealership, and yes, Aaron was the tech who came in to check things out.

But it wasn't a "smell", there was smoke inside the RV, quite visible at around 3 feet off the floor. I have hot water baseboard heat in my house, and I know the smell of dust when it's first turned on, it was't that. Very visible smoke, in the center area of the inside. So I'm concerned it could find it's way inside, even if some residue is burning off the heater.

They have encouraged me to stay the night at the dealer after the walk through and use all the systems, anything I'm unhappy with they'll address the next day.

I gave them a $1000 deposit and the problem with the furnace and generator are in the contract I signed.
Paul James is offline   Reply With Quote

ace, furnace, propane