Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #15

Oven on my stove has a pilot light which has to be lighted when ever the oven is used. (In my case maybe once a year). Top burners have a spark ignitor.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I thought there were no pilot lights on stoves. In fact, as far as I know there are no pilot lights anywhere. Isn't it all electronic?
My '94 has a pilot light under the stove top. The oven does not, have to rotate the oven knob to 'Pilot' and lite it, then I can use the oven. If I turn it to off, the pilot goes out.

Nothing electric needed! Just a box of old fashioned stick matches.

But like I mentioned, my stove top pilot can blow out from strong winds (I leave my windows and doors open a lot) and it could be a couple days before I get a faint whiff of propane.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #17

If you just want to see if the system is OK w/no leaks, running around trying to find and test every joint a pretty futile exercise? Most any regular propane company (not somebody exchanging tanks) or RV center of any kind should have a pressure gauge handy and people that are experienced in its use. See one of them for piece of mind on occasion. The test should be free or very inexpensive, takes 15-20 minutes.

If you suspect a leak but can't find it easily, many of these same dealers have electronic sniffers that can zoom in on a leak pretty quickly, though sometimes that area may consist of several connections made pretty close together. Then you get out the soap suds.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Like said above get a gas guy with a sniffer. That will be the fastest way to find it. If the smell of gas is really strong inside your coach do not turn on anything electrical, it can ignite.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are there any good portable gas detectors out there...most of them on Amazon for 30-50 bucks have poor reviews...I left my main valve on the tank open for over a year....guage shows less gas...about 1/4 less....but no apparent leak....detector in coach tests fine.....could loss be normal.....?...it's a 31 ft Southwind...thanks
Stevewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewb View Post
Are there any good portable gas detectors out there...most of them on Amazon for 30-50 bucks have poor reviews...I left my main valve on the tank open for over a year....guage shows less gas...about 1/4 less....but no apparent leak....detector in coach tests fine.....could loss be normal.....?...it's a 31 ft Southwind...thanks
You're talking about a pretty small leak - if you have one. I would pressure test the system using a manometer (sensitive pressure gauge). If it passes that test it will save you a wild goose chase with a sniffer and/or soap bubbles.

If it fails the test, a good sniffer is a couple hundred bucks. As often as you need one, I'd just have it done. Some good propane supplies will do that for you. I would take that option over an RV dealer in a minute...