Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #1

Propane Leak

Whats the best way to check for propane leak? I have a Monaco Motorhome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Soapy water in a spray bottle. Mix some dishwashing soap with water and just spray on all fittings. Look for bubbles.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And welcome!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #4

Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #5

If you are in the coach and smell gas immediately exit the coach and turn the gas off. Open the windows and stay out side, propane is very explosive.
Propane has a very strong rotten egg smell. If you smell that turn the system off at the tank. If its in the coach and you have a detector it should go off. To look for leaks soap and water applied to valves and fittings, the leak will cause bubbles. If you aren't handy I would suggest you take it to a dealer or propane dealer so he can inspect it and make necessary repairs.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #7

all the above stated are more then enough ,, but also if u are handy and have access to a monometer u can ck for leaks that way also ,, hook it up to a non regulated source .. like the line on the stove ,, before it goes into the regulator ,, and turn the gas on ,, and make sure it has 11 inches water column ,, then let it sit for 20 to 30 mins ,, and then re check it ,, if it is still at 11 ,, u are ok ,, no leaks ,, but if not ,, then u need to do the bubble test ,, ,, but i sure hope u have an LP gas detector incase u get laek while out and about ,,
tnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

twolfe, I just had the same problem in my motorhome. Fortunately the propane man that service our RV Park was a big help. He suggested I go to the local hardware store and purchase a tee, gauge, air valve and the connections to tie into the line just behind the regulator on my propane tank. After getting everything hooked up, take off your covers to your heaters, refrigerator and hot water heater. Also remove the grate and the pan from your stove. This should allow you to get to all your copper fittings. You will also find them connected to your steel gas pipes in the top of your storage bays. Apply about 15 to 20 pounds of pressure and check all connections with soap and water. I used a spray bottle.Also have someone watch you'r air gauge and see if you are losing air.The whole set up cost around $12. You don't need a high-priced air gauge, mine was about $3.95. Lots of luck, if I can help you call me at 972 – 279 – 5234. Larry
PS don't leave the high pressure on your line over 20 min. or so.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Any type of soap will produce bubbles but you should not use soap that has bleach or ammonia as they cause cause problems with brass fittings. ( Many dish soaps do. ) The soap kids blow bubbles with works fine or just check the list of ingredients.

Dan
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfe View Post
Whats the best way to check for propane leak? I have a Monaco Motorhome.
A water column manometer. You should also know how to use it. It ain't rocket science but there is a correct method......and several incorrect methods.

On edit there is an even better way........you'll need fittings to connect a 100 - 200# gauge inline between the tank shut off valve and the first regulator in the system. You will also need to have a thumb bleed screw inline with the gauge. With the apparatus hooked up, turn all appliances off and the gas on to pressurize the gauge. Then turn the gas back off trapping the gas and pressure in the gas line that includes the gauge you installed. Bleed about 10# of pressure off with the bleed screw. Your gauge may read something like 90psi after bleeding. If it holds this pressure for a minute your system is intact.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Like the others, I use the soap/water/spray bottle. However, CW sells a cheap propane detector.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #12

Just a note, by law (or so I've been told by a couple different LP guys), a propane station must NOT fill your tank if they smell propane. In Alaska, they were required to call the fire dept. and clear the area. Imagine my embarrassment as the fire dept truck pulled up and stood by at the ready while I searched for the leak and scrambled under the RV to turn off the valve to the genset...

So, if you smell propane, even occasionally, find it, fix it.

The above is kind of silly if all that you're smelling is the gas from an unlit pilot in the stove (light breeze from the front door can blow mine out) or if you've bumped the valve to the oven. No pilot light in there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought there were no pilot lights on stoves. In fact, as far as I know there are no pilot lights anywhere. Isn't it all electronic?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I thought there were no pilot lights on stoves. In fact, as far as I know there are no pilot lights anywhere. Isn't it all electronic?
Maybe there were on older models?

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote