Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #15

No, if there is a leak in a propane line downstream the 2nd regulator, there is no automatic shutoff. The pressure exiting the 2nd regulator as properly adjusted is 11 inches Water Column. The regular blocks the flow when the pressure rises to 14 inches Water Column to prevent a high pressure leak. A pressure lockup test is what is done to confirm the regulator is working properly.

Lockout pressure is always slightly higher than the set pressure as determined by the second stage regulator adjustment. 14 inches WC is the lockout pressure necessary to fully seat the orifice in the second stage of the regulator, effectively stopping the flow of LP through the body of the regulator.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #16

You have a POL value on you ASME tanks, not a Type 1 CGA 791 value used in an upright DOT cylinder. The newer DOT value on cylinders contain an internal spring-loaded component that prohibits all gas flow from the container until a positive, leak-free connection as been made. That is what confuses untrained propane fillers who think your ASME tank is a DOT cylinder.

The DOT cylinder is what I have in my backyard for my home BBQ and is seen on the front of TTs.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #17

Life on the Wild Side....I don't turn off the propane.
Years ago my van caught fire and was totaled when the fuel line failed and squirted gas on the engine. I don't turn off the gas line either. I've been to his lectures, nice guy, but I don't store the fire extinguisher on its side either. Neither do the fireman friends I often caravan with.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #18

What about all those people and all the commercial trucks that use propane for fuel.....doesn't sound logical to me.

You could also consider the location of your propane tank....is it fwd just behind the passenger...or is it aft behind the passenger rear wheels?....

As in some states, you are not allowed to have the propane on while driving through tunnels....but some states do not allow propane in tunnels at all.

I guess I'll just keep on doing what I do........leave it on unless I am told to turn it off.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Propane

We have a Winnebago 2015 27N and I don't believe I can run my Fridge on my inverter. The coach does not have a residential fridge and the switch just has the setting of (Auto, Off, Gas )the operator's manual says the fridge will operate on 120-Vac household current if shorelineis connected. If electricity is lost it will automatically switch to gas. Does that sound right ! I have often wonder about how safe that running fridge on gas going Down the road and stopping for fuel and etc.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
RodgerS, you are obviously well-educated in propane systems, and I can't quite wrap my head around all that you're saying!

I realize that I used the wrong terminology in saying "spray", but if I understand you correctly you're saying that the regulator would NOT shut off the gas if a line was ruptured. Based on this, it would seem to me to be a very dangerous situation! Am I reading you correctly?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
#1. I believe that Schwans home delivery truck use propane all day long.

#2. What about running the furnace going down the HWY?

#3. I never have mine turned off except when refueling both Gas for the MH and Propane. Other wise its on all the time.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #22

Now I am having regrets--wonder where I put my mattress tag? If it makes you feel better to turn off your propane--then by all means do it. On the other hand, if you are looking for affirmation on this topic, I dont think it exists, at least not on this forum.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
We have a Winnebago 2015 27N and I don't believe I can run my Fridge on my inverter. The coach does not have a residential fridge and the switch just has the setting of (Auto, Off, Gas )the operator's manual says the fridge will operate on 120-Vac household current if shorelineis connected. If electricity is lost it will automatically switch to gas. Does that sound right ! I have often wonder about how safe that running fridge on gas going Down the road and stopping for fuel and etc.
I think this is the case with a lot of RV's including mine. It is either propane for the refrigerator or 110 volts when hooked up, no 12 volt capability. I never shut mine off.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is off, Fridge is household type, does not use propane but leave the switch off anyway
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #25

I'm not an expert, but I'm close to completing my basic RVIA Reg Tech training and it is amazing the amount of information being provided to me.

Well, this stuff is pretty well constructed or not in an rv, but in an accident anything goes. I think any owner should do whatever they want. Let it not be me that casts a stone or proclaims the only right way to do things.

There are owners that don't think much of the weight load ratings, but if something happens the insurance company and lawyers use the ratings against the driver.

The reason there is a propane leak detector is to hopefully inform us in time to do something about it. Normally, when you first smell a leak, there is probably enough time to turn off the sources of ignition and the POL service value. We don't know with absolute certainty because it is simply the right mix, within a range, of vapor and air that creates the "fuel."

Ethel Mercaptan is added to the propane and that is what you would smell as the propane itself is colorless and odorless. It is hoped you smell that first as the idea is that you are likely to smell that before the right "mix" forms and is ready to ignite.

Personally, I'm going through all this training before I get my rv so I can be very proactive on the maintenance and troubleshooting for myself, and help my fellow rvers as well.

In that vein, I would error, even over error, on the side of safety. I always enjoy the comparisons and arguments people make, but we each find our own path and not always is there an absolute right and wrong way. But when things go wrong, well that's....that was the wrong way.

I call it our individual risk assessments that we refine through our failures.

My recommendation is each owner would be well served to buy either Livingston's or Bunzer's rv maintenance guides. I own both. Both books provide some non-duplicate and additional valuable information based on what the writer thinks we should know.

Many of the forum threads can be answered in these books over a beer and a reading lamp. It is true that hands on is an excellent way to learn and we value fellowship answers from experienced rvers, but for some reason I'm often capable of looking at a photograph or a video, and reading a paragraph, and then being apply to apply it.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas and propane

You are also carrying 100 gallons of gasoline in most rigs - there's volatility for you if you want to paint a doomsday scenario.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #27

If you are really worried about propane in an accident situation, then what are you going to do about that 80+ gallons of gas you are carrying. And when that fuel spreads so does the fire. Over the years I have seen both vehicle fires due to gasoline issues as well as boat fires due to gasoline issues. I have never seen a propane vehicle/boat fire. Can it happen, I guess anything can happen but at least the propane system has some safeguards built into into it, whereas the MH fuel system doesn't. It would be a lot easier to rupture a fuel tank than a propane tank. I think even the Fire guys will tell you they have seen way more gasoline fires in accidents than propane.

With that said I really think you are worrying for nothing, if it wasn't safe they wouldn't have propane or natural gas cars, trucks, Buses ect on the road. There are too many other things to worry about safety wise on a MH than shutting of your propane.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I travel there are several diferent trips
Winter, Usually 30 minutes to an hour (Depending on if I stop for lunch) between power outlets

Summer 1-2 hours

Spring and fall, 2-5 days

There is a very slight chance of an accident rupturing a propane line
There is a very REAL chance of food spoiling epically on that spring/fall trip

The tank has an automatic Excess flow valve, rupture a line and it closes, very little propane is lost or it is lost very slowly.

To make a loud noise you need a fairly strict mix of propane and air,, THEN a spark , The question on the pump jockey test was what happens when you get that mix, and a spark happens.

My answer: You land 2 counties over.

Tags
propane