Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #29

Here is a relevant article on the subject.

Traveling with Propane RV Fire Safety RV Travel

The conclusion will please all of the readers except those who insist on their point of view.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I run with mine on. There are all sorts of fuel lines running all over these RVs...fuel tank to generator, engine and Aqua Hot; propane tank to refrig, stove, water heater (if needed), and furnace (if needed). I can't see where one is more or less dangerous than the other.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #31

Given the high fatality rate for automobile crashes - the primary event in this scenario - I would have thought the extra risk due to anything associated with the propane system is totally insignificant.

Quote:
Never compromised you safety.
If anyone truly held that belief they would never get out of bed. As for driving, probably illuminating to get the vehicle accident death and injury statistics and work out your own lifetime risk and then figure out how you can avoid compromising your safety
Old 02-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #32

We turn ours off as part of our packing up routine. We keep three freezer packs in the freezer and put two into the fridge while in transit. They work very well at keeping things chilled for the day.
I too wear a helmet when riding my bike and I look both ways before crossing the road.
belfast1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #33

Some of the comments are becoming a bit too personal. I don't think we have to go beyond informing each other, and telling each other how each of us rolls and why.

Obviously, this is quite exciting for some of us. For me its kind of a useful sharing of knowledge and experiences.

Frankly, I'm not rolling at this time and won't until I finish all my repair, maintenance, and inspection training and I have no idea psychologically what that means. Actually, I'm having an excellent time learning...it is very interesting and intriguing to me. The last time I rolled I had no idea how complex my rv was...but then I was a lot younger and the rv was pretty small. The only thing it was missing was a tv and I didn't miss it.

Today I'm headed for Santa Barbara and stopped in at Pismo Beach...huge number of rvs down this way.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #34

I run with scissors... and the propane on. Everything can kill you, I understand probability and Murphy s law #9 (You never run out of things that can go wrong)
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #35
doc

Appalachian Campers
All that is something to think about I guess. Even more dangerous it that tank of gasoline sitting under the MH you are driving down the road. More volatile and certainly it will flow at a faster rate than propane coming from a regulator. I believe I will continue to drive with my refrigerator on however. You really don't hear that much about damaged propane tanks breaking and spraying propane everywhere. The Fire Guy is looking for hits on YouTube and makes alarmist type videos to generate controversy as evidenced here.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #36

Following that line of thinking;
One gallon of gasoline completely evaporated in a 10' X 10'X 10' room has the same explosive power as 300# of dynamite. A gas-powered MH contains, at a minimum about 35G, up to about 100G. It has no safety devices to prevent or reduce gas flow in any of the same scenarios. It might be a good ideal to sell the MH and begin flying to your destinations, as it is one of the safest modes of transportation we have per mile traveled.
Mac is a really nice guy, he has to say what he did or open his company to lawsuits.I'd do the same thing in his position.
I'm not, so I run my propane frig, furnace, and water heater while driving if I wish, but- I think the genset is the cheapest way to power these appliances, and run the A/C for comfort at the same time. According to Mac, the majority of MH fires are in the engine compartment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Does propane scare you?

I use to be employed by Ferrell Gas, and use to haul 9k/gallons at a time...........I handled it, got burnt by it, I was trained, by them, then , after my driving days were done, I operated the Propane loading/unloading facility at the Refinery where I am employed, more training.........we have 14 30k h2o capacity propane tanks plus rail road loading/unloading...........So........With this in mind, and nothing ever read in any manufacture manual telling the owner to shut off the valve before traveling..............Mine is on and being used while we travel. These RV's were designed to be used while traveling down the road. If one thinks 30=50 gallon's makes them nervous, try looking in a mirror and seeing 9,000 gallons behind you. These tanks, most of the time, where located, will withstand just about any kind of accident.
If a line or hose ruptures, in the valve, in "Every" propane tank, is a "Excess Flow Valve" that will slam shut, and end the flow of gas..........A lot of folks on here have had problems not having any propane to their RV........shut off the valve, snug it a bit, be quite, and you will hear the internal valve "Pop" open.

Tags
propane