Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Have had 20# bs 100# tanks filled at u-haul, rental place, propane dealer and rv dealer/service. Never a issue with older or newer tanks.

Prices vary. At around $3 a gallon now

Best deal I get is at our camping resort for $2.12 a gallon. Got the rv tank filled there last time.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re how much a 20 pound tank holds.

Though it matters if you are trying to compute propane use the point the poster who said Blue Rino only puts 15 pounds in a 20 pound tank was trying to make is that you THINK you are getting a full tank when you swap... But you are not.

So you get only 3/4 of what you believe you are paying for.

Like the 1 pound brick of coffee I got yesterday.. it's only 11.5 oz. Not a full 16

This "3/4" thing is a way or RIPPING OFF THE CUSTOMER. and that was his point. Or at least that is how I read it.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #31

I agree, there are many things at the store now that are less than they seem. Many manufacturers think they are pulling one over on us, besides raising the prices, they lower the amount of product we get.
Some tuna fish cans are so small you can barely get 2 sandwiches, and check the size of the tube inside the toilet paper roll, it is way bigger than it used to be. The outside of the roll is the same size, but the hole inside of the roll is bigger.......you get less paper. The list is endless.
I hate getting ripped off...........think I'll go lay down, at least my naps are still full size.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Re how much a 20 pound tank holds.

Though it matters if you are trying to compute propane use the point the poster who said Blue Rino only puts 15 pounds in a 20 pound tank was trying to make is that you THINK you are getting a full tank when you swap... But you are not.

So you get only 3/4 of what you believe you are paying for.

Like the 1 pound brick of coffee I got yesterday.. it's only 11.5 oz. Not a full 16

This "3/4" thing is a way or RIPPING OFF THE CUSTOMER. and that was his point. Or at least that is how I read it.
Right from Blue Rhino: "
Inflationary pressures, including the volatile costs of steel, diesel fuel, and propane, have had a significant impact on the cylinder exchange industry. In 2008, to help control these rising costs, Blue Rhino followed the example of other consumer products companies with a product content change. We reduced the amount of propane in our tanks from 17 pounds to 15 pounds.
To ensure our consumers are properly notified, Blue Rhino clearly marks the amount of propane contained in our tanks, right on the package."

http://www.bluerhino.com/BRWEB/getdo...spx#FAQLink126

So, if its written, how is it 'ripping off'?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
It's not, Jim!
If people want to use the "convenience store" service, they should expect to pay for it, right?
But if they only want to buy propane, they should own their tanks.

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #34

Gas station in Penna charges $12 for a 20lb tank thats completely empty. I think it's $24 for an exchange with a new tank.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's something that's new to me- is it a regional thing?
I've never filled a tank anywhere on the West Coast that the propane wasn't metered, just like gasoline...

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #36

This thread made me go look. AmeriGas is the company that pretty much has all the exchange stations around here. Their tanks are also labeled as only having 15lbs. They are anywhere between $19-22 for the exchange, or $50-55 for a "full" tank without exchanging an empty. Depends on the location. Propane filling by the gallon is just as expensive as gas around here, checked a Flying J the other day and it was $3.7something. So, either way it won't be very cheap. I do like the idea of topping off and not having to loose whatever is left when exchanging for a "full" one.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You guys need to hit up on the big suppliers, or better yet, an Co-op.. $1.90 gal cash price...
Old 10-16-2011, 02:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
You guys need to hit up on the big suppliers, or better yet, an Co-op.. $1.90 gal cash price...
Maybe in your state, doubtful around here.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya.. California always seems to be higher than the Mid-West..
Old 10-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last Saturday, I was in Lone Pine,Ca. I needed propane according the gauge inside. I had it refilled at a campground there in the area. I stood and watched the man fill it, the tank took 6.6 according to the amount indicated on the gauge on the pump. It cost me $29.63 to fill the tank on the RV.

Okay so let's round it off to 7.0 gals. That's almost $4.50 a gallon. I will not buy propane there again. They usually charge around $35.00 for a space that week end they were charging $65.00 for hook ups and $45.00 for dry camping spots......it was the 2011 Lone Pine Film Festival weekend.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Another reason to not stay long in Calif... Bring it in with you, leave when it runs out...
Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #42

The way it's done in Pa is by weight. The tank sets on a scale and they fill it up to 20 lbs. I use mine on the gas grill and run it empty before refill and it's right around $12. If I go to a Sheetz store it's around $24 for an exchange and $45 if you just buy a full tank.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane