Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
It's not that I didn't believe there might be a tightening of LP gas supplies because of the widespread cold temperatures, I just doubt it will be the problem the way Fox news reports it. They have been touting a Velveeta shortage, sent a reporter into a number of stores, found the cheese in all but one store but still made a big deal about it. They seem to spend a lot of time trying to scare people.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this enough for you?

Cold snap draining fuel supplies, prices spiking

Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 AM   #17
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
They have been touting a Velveeta shortage, sent a reporter into a number of stores, found the cheese in all but one store but still made a big deal about it. They seem to spend a lot of time trying to scare people.
KRAFT announced the shortage, and that it would be localized. Fox wasn't the only network to report it, but per your post did find a "local" shortage.

Your conclusion- an attempt to scare people by a shortage of wannabe cheese? Inconvenienced, yes, hoard, likely. Scared, why?

My first thought was Kraft had found a way to NOT put Velveeta on sale during the highest sales period, business will condition us to unexplained "shortages". I never heard any network that actually went to Kraft and asked "WHY?" Isn't that what the so called 'news media' is supposed to do?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
I agree that the RV parks may have some since it's Winter and their business is slow in that part of the world, but since the dealers get some of their supplies from the wholesalers, how can the wholesalers have LPG and the dealers not?
Because the Wholesaler may not have enough trucks to deliver to all of them as fast as they are selling and because bad roads compound that problem.

Most Shortages are in fact a shortage of trucks to deliver, or open roads for the trucks to travel, NOT a shortage of product.
Home is where I park it!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did y'all see this?

Fox News Classified Satire By FCC - Free Wood Post

At first I couldn't believe it! Really?

Then found out it was a funny satire website....

Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #20
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well actually, my Propane supplier advised me two weeks ago that there is a shortage of propane.
The farmers used a lot to dry the crop this fall and the companies shut down a major pipeline in order to ship fracking chemicals north. They had counted on the Keystone Pipeline for this traffic but as you know our great and fearless leader has postponed that.
He said that farmers are actually being rationed.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #21
The Velveta "cheese" can be heated in the microwave for mixing with Rotel...or is it Rotella? That is, if your stomach can stand all that hot pepper or motor oil. I trust there is no shortage of Rotel just before the big game.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree, the LP problem is probably more a distribution issue than a production shortage. I don't know why people immediately jumped to the conclusion politics had been raised. I get my news from a variety of news outlets, mostly the BBC. If you watch more than one source, you quickly discover that what's being 'spun' on one channel is barely covered on another. In my area, to find out what's happening at the state level I can't watch local news, they are too focused on violent crime, car crashes, and weather extremes. Watching a variety of news sources helps keep me informed 'fair(ly) and balanced,' something that can't be said if you only rely on ONE news source. Bring on the critics.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
I do know that propane price went up I don't know anything about shortages.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope that the propane shortage and price increases do not hurt anyone during this blizzard.

And, thanks again to the OP for this thread. I have learned a serious lesson here in these posts about bias, elitism, and irresponsibility. Seems so much like when activists clash about the first amendment...that is, until someone says something that the activist's don't like.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #25
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
So now Faux news is touting an LP shortage! Is that in conjunction with their panicked reporting on the Velveeta Shortage??
I think the "possible Velveta shortage" was brought forward by a Kraft Foods PR person as a sales gimmick. Every time someone mentions the word "shortage" it seems to be a license to raise the price and it artificially increases demand. My guess is the division VP wasn't going to make his bonus unless sales hit the right number. Solution to the problem, Tell people there "might" be a shortage. Sales will double.

As for the price of propane going up, here in the Midwest it's almost 50% higher than it was last year. They're blaming the wet fall and huge amounts needed to dry crops. Funny how the panic sets in, demand mysteriously increased, prices shoot up, and when all is said and done they sell just about the same amount they did the year before, just at a higher price.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I don't want to beat this to death, but can provide some facts that may help. Propane is a component of the hydrocarbon stream that comes out of an Oil & Gas well. Other components in that stream include Butane, Pentane, Crude Oil and Natural gas and others. These Oil & Gas wells produce 365 days a year so Propane is being made each day according to the production rates of the wells, there is very little ability to ramp up propane production when it's cold as these wells produce as much in the Winter as they do in the Summer. In the Summer Propane demand is very low but the production remains the same so it is stored for use in the Winter. The 2 largest underground salt dome storage facilities in the US are in Conway Ks, and Mont Bellvue Tx from those locations the propane moves by pipeline or largely by rail car to the rest of the country.
So if there was a large crop drying season coupled with extreme cold then getting the product from these storage locations to the rest of the country is the issue. The supply chain between the wholesalers and retailers is pretty short so my guess is that if the dealers don't have it then neither do the terminals.

That's a pretty simplistic description but it was getting to long to provide greater detail

It's all supply, demand, and Logistics, no politics involved at all.

If any of you are having a hard time falling asleep tonight, just re-read this boring post and you'll doze right off
2017 Newell, 2015 Yukon Denali , 2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
FMCA: 383383
Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #27
There is a real shortage here in central Ohio. I ordered propane yesterday on a tank that was down to 30%. Propane supplier said they are limiting deliveries to 100 gallons each. I guess we will all run out at about the same time under this plan.

If we could just get some of Al Gores global warming .
2012 Winnebago Tour JD
2014 Chevy Tahoe
Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #28
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
for those who refuse to believe FOX News, listen to MSN.
Propane shortage takes toll on rural America - Video on NBCNews.com

Closed Thread