Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #29

I was going to respond to this thread, but since I do not have anything positive or constructive to say I am just going to bite my tongue & let it go.

Reg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All I wanted to do was let everyone that depends on propane to heat their rig know that a shortage had been reported in the news.

Fortunately there are only a few...................................

Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #31

Once things warm up a bit, propane inventory levels should get back to normal. Spring/fall is the time most RVers hit the road anyhow.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
........I don't want to beat this to death, but can provide some facts that may help. Propane is a component of the hydrocarbon stream that comes out of an Oil & Gas well. Other components in that stream include Butane, Pentane, Crude Oil and Natural gas and others............
All very true. I used to be a mud logger on drilling locations in Utah and WY in my previous life. Then I was a drilling engineer for a major oil company, etc. The gas stream coming from a well and measured by a chromatograph is methane, ethane, propane, iso-butane, and normal butane (MEPINS). Lordy, how do some things lodge themselves in your brain forever while other things fly from your mind before dinner time?

All I can tell you for positive is that the cost of hydrocarbon products are dictated by supply and demand. Period. End of story. But that comment is made from the heart and with out any agenda.....
Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
With the cold weather even here in Florida, I'm going to have to refill the MH tank. Fox news didn't scare me at all but the word that an Arctic Owl bit his tongue because of the impending shortage really got my attention.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Well it's now official, The Weather Channel just reported there is a propane shortage. Among a myriad of less than plausible outcomes, viewers of Directv are also doomed to be unprepared. (Unless they happen to listen to Fox News)
Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I don't want to beat this to death, but can provide some facts that may help. Propane is a component of the hydrocarbon stream that comes out of an Oil & Gas well. Other components in that stream include Butane, Pentane, Crude Oil and Natural gas and others. These Oil & Gas wells produce 365 days a year so Propane is being made each day according to the production rates of the wells, there is very little ability to ramp up propane production when it's cold as these wells produce as much in the Winter as they do in the Summer. In the Summer Propane demand is very low but the production remains the same so it is stored for use in the Winter. The 2 largest underground salt dome storage facilities in the US are in Conway Ks, and Mont Bellvue Tx from those locations the propane moves by pipeline or largely by rail car to the rest of the country. So if there was a large crop drying season coupled with extreme cold then getting the product from these storage locations to the rest of the country is the issue. The supply chain between the wholesalers and retailers is pretty short so my guess is that if the dealers don't have it then neither do the terminals. That's a pretty simplistic description but it was getting to long to provide greater detail It's all supply, demand, and Logistics, no politics involved at all. If any of you are having a hard time falling asleep tonight, just re-read this boring post and you'll doze right off
Thank You for this post!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once the price gets high enough you'll be able to buy all u want!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #37

Quote:
I don't want to beat this to death, but can provide some facts that may help. Propane is a component of the hydrocarbon stream that comes out of an Oil & Gas well. Other components in that stream include Butane, Pentane, Crude Oil and Natural gas and others. These Oil & Gas wells produce 365 days a year so Propane is being made each day according to the production rates of the wells, there is very little ability to ramp up propane production when it's cold as these wells produce as much in the Winter as they do in the Summer. In the Summer Propane demand is very low but the production remains the same so it is stored for use in the Winter. The 2 largest underground salt dome storage facilities in the US are in Conway Ks, and Mont Bellvue Tx from those locations the propane moves by pipeline or largely by rail car to the rest of the country.
So if there was a large crop drying season coupled with extreme cold then getting the product from these storage locations to the rest of the country is the issue. The supply chain between the wholesalers and retailers is pretty short so my guess is that if the dealers don't have it then neither do the terminals.

That's a pretty simplistic description but it was getting to long to provide greater detail

It's all supply, demand, and Logistics, no politics involved at all.

If any of you are having a hard time falling asleep tonight, just re-read this boring post and you'll doze right off
I live in Wisconsin and this is the issue in my area. Retailers are only filling tanks 1/2 way due to the shortage and cost is approaching $5.00 a gallon. Matter of fact the Governor has issued a state of emergency due to the shortage and Artic weather we are experiencing. Sure glad I installed a pellet stove several years ago.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #38

I try to keep politics out of recreation. Having said that I suggest each person watch their favorite news channel and I will watch mine. I prefer one watched by the most people and is fair and balanced, but hey, thats just me!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #39

I use propane for heating, cooking, HW and for my B/U gen. Yes there is a shortage in some areas because of the high demand and the current distribution system will not meet the demand. I suspect that situation will be gone once the high demand levels off. It will get warmer sometime. It is unfortunate that suppliers can jack up the price in this circumstance, but that is how a free market system works. The law of supply and demand rules and some people see this as an opportunity to jack up prices when the costs have not gone up.

I mitigate these supply issues by keeping an adequate supply on hand so delivery hiccups do not impact me that much.

I have a 1000gal tank and I bought an additional 500gal tank when I switched my gen from diesel to propane. I have never run low on propane. This is the first time I have seen this shortage in supply, so I am thinking now of upgrading to a second 500 gal tank / or change for another 1000 gal and putting that below grade also. I have never had any issue of propane going bad like my diesel fuel did but there is merit in having alternate fuel options.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #40

Got my 100lb tank filled this afternoon, went from $75 to $104. He said the distributor told him in IL some place they were paying $8 per gallon. About another couple weeks should get back to normal. But his next load will cost us another $.50 a gal. Glad I have 3 full tanks now/with a lock and chain.........might be able to last out the shortage.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #41

It is odd that if a storm comes through and plywood is in short supply your local building supply can not raise the price, so what give the right for gas to go up if a cold front comes through. Just ration, if there is a shortage until it warms up.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #42

My GF works at a major propane company and says the shortage is nothing more than everyone getting gas all at the same time drastically dropping the supply at hand. Seems like no one buys gas before it turns cold. The major suppliers are ordering as much as they can, getting bulk supplies and making shortages for small companies hurting them for supplying their customers - forcing them to sign OK forms to get gas from the big companies at higher prices/profits! Gas companies can't fill another companies tanks without permission from them - not just the customers permission.

Get propane filled before it gets cold, when demand is slow and prices LOW!

Closed Thread

Tags
propane