Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Propane Shortage

Looks like a little planning may be needed to get propane for your coach

Midwest, Northeast brace for snow, frigid air as propane shortage lingers | Fox News
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I strongly suspect FOX is being alarmist again... I seriously doubt any of my propane suppliers have a problem.

Of course... If you are in the affected area you might consider winterizing by the best method.. SOUTH method.. No snow so far where I'm parked.. (Though a whole bunch of pipes broke a few weeks back and are scheduled to do so again.. The one that feeds me water when I need it most likely will NOT freeze, but that's my fault).
Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I strongly suspect FOX is being alarmist again... I seriously doubt any of my propane suppliers have a problem.

Of course... If you are in the affected area you might consider winterizing by the best method.. SOUTH method.. No snow so far where I'm parked.. (Though a whole bunch of pipes broke a few weeks back and are scheduled to do so again.. The one that feeds me water when I need it most likely will NOT freeze, but that's my fault).
All the media outlets online carried the same story. I selected the Fox link because it would be too embarrassing to post a CNN, MSNBC or Huffington Post link.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

The last cold snap in MI created record gas delivery for Consumer's Energy. I would imagine the propane users are burning through it just as fast. The states have relaxed restrictions on delivery because of the supply, it's kind of hard to blame that on a news service??
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
So now Faux news is touting an LP shortage! Is that in conjunction with their panicked reporting on the Velveeta Shortage??

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
So now Faux news is touting an LP shortage! Is that in conjunction with their panicked reporting on the Velveeta Shortage??

Oh great .... in the event I can buy some blackmarket Velveeta I can't heat it !!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read the same story on Yahoo, are the "faux" news also?? (sarcasm)

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #8

I often wondered how Fox became the "Most" watched and "trusted" news media and yet the negative comments ?
hmmmmmmmm
Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Guess you either missed the post or ignored it that all the media outlets are carrying the same story.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/21/news...ges/index.html

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014...nter-woes?lite

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly...8520/#54128520

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=pr...tage&FORM=EWRE
Old 01-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should point out that there is one other bit of advice I often give folks....

When you gas up. Search for a wholesaler... DEALERS may have shortages, but RV parks likely will not, and Wholesalers likely will not.

Of course, I'd fill up now if I were going to rely on propane to heat the coach. Unlike the last "Deep Freeze" we got a few weeks back, This one is supposed to last for a few days (BURR).
Old 01-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:

When you gas up. Search for a wholesaler... DEALERS may have shortages, but RV parks likely will not, and Wholesalers likely will not.

Of course, I'd fill up now if I were going to rely on propane to heat the coach. Unlike the last "Deep Freeze" we got a few weeks back, This one is supposed to last for a few days (BURR).
I agree that the RV parks may have some since it's Winter and their business is slow in that part of the world, but since the dealers get some of their supplies from the wholesalers, how can the wholesalers have LPG and the dealers not?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

The CGs may have propane but given the winter they are having I wonder how many are open this time of year?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Prices for propane here was dropping slowly and in the last 3 or 4 weeks they have risen 10 to 30 cents. The weather on the East Coast must be affecting prices here?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well...despite the political response that this thread has caused, even the LOCAL ABC and NBC affiliates here in SoCal are reporting the risks of a propane gas shortage in the Northeast states as this next blizzard hits.

I just watched the network reporter interview a worker at a distribution center yard...he said they DO NOT currently have inventory to meet the increased demand.

I find it very interesting how the mention of 1 particular national news network as a source caused so many here to immediately scream that it must be lies. Thanks to the OP for the news and even more for the reality check.

Safe travels and stay warm out there.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Closed Thread

Tags
propane