Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I'm confused... I've never seen or heard of a motorhome that did not have an electic propane valve directly controlled by a propane detector inside the cabin.

I'd consider removing one to be incredibly dangerous and bordering on not too smart.

That propane / co2 detector you installed, does it actually turn off the gas?
If it doesn't... what happens if you're camping, leave the coach, a leak develops, and a spark or pilot light blows your coach to ashes? And what about the coaches on either side of you?

You really go into the basement and turn off the propane whenever you leave the coach?
you don't leave the fridge running on propane when dry camping?
you never leave the water heater or furnace on?
Almost all motorhomes have a detector. most do not turn off the gas. They only alert you to a problem. If you have noticed, all doors over propane tanks do not have locks on them. If you hear a propane detector screaming, I would hope you would go over and shut off the tank if no one is home. I started not to write this blog because I knew someone would say i was stupid. No wonder our government is taking away all our rights. We are in such a nanny state, everything is dangerious. Since most motorhomes don't have these to start with, should we take them off the road? Should we make the older motorhomes without ABS off the road because they don't stop as quick? I was trying to help the guy to not jury rig the shutoff and have a leak.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
Well they stopped putting them on Motor-home in the mid 80's and is no longer required by law.
My "99" has a CCI shut off that was OEM on it.

The CCI is no longer made. But I was able to buy a spare inside unit a few years ago.

You can still buy detectors with a valve shut off.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
My "99" has a CCI shut off that was OEM on it.

The CCI is no longer made. But I was able to buy a spare inside unit a few years ago.

You can still buy detectors with a valve shut off.
Understood, I did check many models out, but right now there are cost restrictive. I may go back to one, in the future, when money is not so tight. right now I just want it to work every time I turn the gas on, and it does now.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
All motor homes have propane detectors but are do they all turn the propane off via a solenoid when propane is detected?

It was my understandings most no longer have this system intact, because it is no longer a requirement to installed them.

I have alway be super safe and thrifty and refuse to leave my propane on when not in use, and in the rig.

It take only a minute to turn it on and then off again and I have just got into that habit.
There is a lot of confusion on this site about these detectors. Here is the facts. first most detectors do not have the shutoff valve feature. All the motorhomes I worked on had a detector. and as i said most did not have a shutoff solonoid. You can still purchase a detector with shutoff valve. They are on page 292 of the Coast catalog. They are made by Safe-T-Alert. they are pricey, about $300.00 Most high end MH's come with them. Most moderate price MH's don't have them. They are not required by law. THESE ARE THE FACTS.............
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I need to go check the knight and see if it has one, though I was certain it did, I don't honestly recall.

My ole 99 fleetwood pace arrow did have one for sure. It worked, too.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote