Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

propane system question

I have a new 2011 Keystone Cougar High Country 5th wheel. Since chilly weather came upon us in Texas, Ive started using my heater. I have two 30# propane tanks. And in two ocasions Ive gone thru a complete tank in 9-10 days with the same tank. It will not switch to the other tank. Ive swapped tanks and it stays on the outside tank all the time.

Question: Do I have a regulator problem or what are suggestions to correct this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I believe that most, if not all, RV's come with automatic changeover type regulators. On mine, I turn the manual knob to the tank I want to start out using. When that tank is empty, it will start pulling propane from the other tank and a sight glass will turn red and show me that the first tank is empty. I then switch the manual lever to the other tank and take the first tank in to be filled. Do your gas appliances stop working while there is still gas in the second tank? If it is not switching then you probably have a defective regulator. I had to replace mine one time several years ago.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #3

My 2011 Montana does not have the auto change over on it.It has a 30lb tank on each side on the trailer.My tank on the right side does not feed propane very well,I am told to open the tank very slow as the line has a leak feature that will shut the flow down.I am looking at replacing this hose and getting better service without the flow shutoff.This may be your trouble?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

I think it would be worth your while to get the automatic jiminyard mentions (post 2). I have used one for years and it has not failed me (yet). No need to mess with changing tanks if one goes dry in the middle of the night or rain storm, etc.
Safe travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

When the tank empties and the indicator is red, I then turn the regulator to the other tank, which is full, but the regulator indicator stays red.......????????
Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdperry View Post
When the tank empties and the indicator is red, I then turn the regulator to the other tank, which is full, but the regulator indicator stays red.......????????

Not sure, but I don't remember mine doing that.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #7

The red indicater goes away - at least that's the way it works on the one I have. When the tank being used goes empty the red portion shows up in the valve readout. As soon as the valve lever is turned towards the full tank the red goes away and green shows up. Then at your convenience you take the empty tank and have it filled, hook it up and wait for the other tank to go empty - red shows up and the process is repeated.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
if your regulator is the variety that switches over automatically, then it will start drawing from the other tank without any hands on for you. The indicator will continue to display RED as long as the valve lever is pointing to the empty tank. You then need to move the valve lever to the "functioning" tank to remove the empty tank to refill. When you swing the valve lever over, the indicator will turn GREEN indicating the other tank is full. You shouldn't have to change that valve lever to keep LPG flowing.

If it isn't working this way then you have a defective regulator.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #9

X3, what Bob and John said. WDPerry, I suspect your regulators look like these. The red one should be on the cylinder opposite the LP piping into the RV. The silver one should be near the cylinder closest to the piping, and both hoses connected to the silver double-stage regulator. That's my opinion and thoughts WFIW.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am told to open the tank very slow as the line has a leak feature that will shut the flow down.I am looking at replacing this hose and getting better service without the flow shutoff.
That anti-leak feature (which is more properly called called the Excess Flow Detection) is part of the tank valve, not the hose. All LP valves for the last several years have Excess Flow Detection built into them, along with the OPD (Overfill Protection Device) - it's part of the fire safety standards for LP tanks.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That anti-leak feature (which is more properly called called the Excess Flow Detection) is part of the tank valve, not the hose. All LP valves for the last several years have Excess Flow Detection built into them, along with the OPD (Overfill Protection Device) - it's part of the fire safety standards for LP tanks.

I discovered this issue with my BBQ. I could not get it to light when hooked up to my propane tank. I replaced the hose only to find out that you have to open the valve slowly in order to pressurize the hose. I now have an extra hose.

nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane