Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 02:39 AM   #1

Propane tank gauge?

So I hate running out of propane and was wondering if I could install a propane gauge off of a grill? Wal-Mart sells em for $12. Cheap way to always know how much gas is left. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 AM   #2

Propane tanks will always have the same pressure dependant on temp as long as you have even a few ozs of liquid propaine. The guages at wallyworld or camping world usually tell pressure and when they drop you are surely out!!! Get a cheap digital bath scale and weigh your tank empty. Fill your tank and weigh again. the difference will be the quantity of liquid propaine. I keep my scale next to the propaine tank in the MH and weigh after use and as the weight approches the empty cyl wight I know to fill.

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #3

I agree with Stink

We carry a good digital readout bathroom scale, mainly to keep our personal weight in check, but I use it all the time for checking portable propane tank status. Works for me.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #4

A luggage scale works.

Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales AMW-LS-110 Digital LuGGaGe Scale, 110 by 0.2 LB: Kitchen & Dining
Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

TRUMA Gauge

I have a TRUMA LevelCheck propane tank level gauge. It really works, giving you a dead-on accurate level indication. Here's a link:

Fill level indicator Truma LevelCheck

Bruce
Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

Pour a glass of hot water very slowly down the side of the tank and then feel for where the tank is cold. That is the level, and what I used to do with 20lb tanks.

Now I have two 4lb tanks. Swapping is quick. No need for gauge. Less than 2 bucks to fill. Dirt cheap compared to the teenie bottles.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #7

I also have the Truma unit-it works great,best buy for my RV!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Pour a glass of hot water very slowly down the side of the tank and then feel for where the tank is cold. That is the level, and what I used to do with 20lb tanks.

Now I have two 4lb tanks. Swapping is quick. No need for gauge. Less than 2 bucks to fill. Dirt cheap compared to the teenie bottles.
Aw come on .... you don't want a $69 gauge to check your $53 tanks (or $30 if it's 20 lb)? Next, you'll be tellin' us you don't need a $500 grill.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Aw come on .... you don't want a $69 gauge to check your $53 tanks (or $30 if it's 20 lb)? Next, you'll be tellin' us you don't need a $500 grill.
Haha! (Same as LOL). ;-)

My 4 pounders were $40 each. Dont need no gauges, no big tanks, no Extend-a-stay, can easily move to the neighbors site for a cookout or to the other side of the MH to block the wind, etc. Easy-peasy!

My Q100 gasser was about $150.
My hibachi cast iron charcoaler was $23.
But campfire is still better. Not much of that in the SW! Sigh

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #10

These are really good ideas but my main reason for wanting the gauge is because its for the tanks in the front of the fifthwheel that run the house appliances. I dont wanna unbolt and and get wrenches out to undo the lines. Im wanting to just be able to peek in and check. Im gambling on propane goin down ablittle more before I refill both big tanks. It was $5.95 a gal and has dropped to $1.91
Old 03-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
These are really good ideas but my main reason for wanting the gauge is because its for the tanks in the front of the fifthwheel that run the house appliances. I dont wanna unbolt and and get wrenches out to undo the lines. Im wanting to just be able to peek in and check. Im gambling on propane goin down ablittle more before I refill both big tanks. It was $5.95 a gal and has dropped to $1.91
Well ... the warm water thing works but you'll need a bit more warm water ... or the $69 Truma. The stick-ons are really "iffy" ... you might as well guess.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Haha! (Same as LOL). ;-)

My 4 pounders were $40 each. Dont need no gauges, no big tanks, no Extend-a-stay, can easily move to the neighbors site for a cookout or to the other side of the MH to block the wind, etc. Easy-peasy!

My Q100 gasser was about $150.
My hibachi cast iron charcoaler was $23.
But campfire is still better.
Not much of that in the SW! Sigh
That was a good deal !!

I've abandoned those ... I'm a gasser guy or portable induction for a pot.

Also eezy-peezy bada-bing, bada-boom
Old 03-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post

Well ... the warm water thing works but you'll need a bit more warm water ... or the $69 Truma. The stick-ons are really "iffy" ... you might as well guess.
I cant pour water in the storage area. And im not talkin about stickers. Im talkin about the actual inline gas gauge that u put on the tank valve lol I dont lik stickers cause if the tanks not level ur reading could be off
Old 03-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #14

Man can never have too many tools!
That Trauma thingy is cool!
Although I just refill both tanks before I leave and I have an auto switch over and just watch the color go from green to red and then refill the dead one.

Tags
propane, tank